Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 2.0 replacement engine questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sofresh
Hello everyone! New to the forum. Did a quick search and wasn't really finding what I was looking for.

Where can one purchase a respectable 2.0L Type 4 914 engine, no core, just looking for a complete long block but not trying to break the bank. I have had numerous quotes from builders saying it would cost $2999 without core all the way up to $8000 without core.... also ranging from 1-2 week turn around time from order date all the way up to 1-2 months... which seems more like it may be a side job for them if it takes that long.

Any places you guys would recommend? I am in Arizona, we have a few shops out here however some are lazy... i.e. never got back to me after numerous requests for price and time frame, some didn't want to locate a core, some said cores were "rare", I had to laugh at that one...

Anyways, list them off! Tell me builders to avoid and why. Thanks in advance beerchug.gif
Woody
Look in the classifieds here. You may find a good used one. Or you may want to talk to McMark here. I'm sure he could set you up with a fresh one. Oh and welcome.png
Mblizzard
I have seen some very nice but relatively costly engines here. Would have loved to be able to buy them. I have also seen some engines that had some questions about them sell for low and high costs. I worked a very good deal with McMark. I have not fired up the engine yet but looking at the cost and getting what you pay for there are just some things that make more sense than others. Try to buy from someone that knows engines not just buy an engine. When that person suggest spending an extra few bucks to replace the valve guides in a 40-year old engine it some how makes sense.

Do your homework but there are a number of sources for the engine you are seeking. But unless you are an expert, either drive it before you buy it or buy from those that are well known here. They have more at stake than making a single sale. If you have no core, it is hard to not look at the Original Customs 1911 engine. Some great components and very respectable performance numbers.
ConeDodger
I've worked with McMark for years now. He and I are working on putting a six in my car right now. His 2056 motors are great!
914werke
How about 10 large for a complete fresh "drive train" with upgrades? (below)
Mblizzard
Seeing as I just did this, I old be interested to hear what you wind up doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.