Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 stock matching numbers engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben*james
I'm looking at a 914-6 matching numbers car. It's engine might be getting a little tired, ppi shows low compression on #6.

I've heard that the stock sixes leave a little something to be desired in terms of power. i could use the existing engine and have it built to a 2.2 by rothsport or go with a different more powerful engine but lose the numbers.

I am really just trying to get some ideas at this point, don't have the car, haven't struck a deal but it appears to be headed in that direction.

Also will have paint issues: another thread started on that already.

Thank you.
Eric_Shea
Most -6 owners in your situation have the stock engine squirreled away for posterity sake and build what they want. A nice 2.4 or 2.5 with E-cams is a tremendous balance for a six.
ben*james
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 29 2013, 09:29 PM) *

Most -6 owners in your situation have the stock engine squirreled away for posterity sake and build what they want. A nice 2.4 or 2.5 with E-cams is a tremendous balance for a six.

Thanks Eric. Makes sense. I guess the stupid question is do you have to do much in terms of modification to put in a different engine or is it sort of plug and play? unsure.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(ben*james @ Jul 29 2013, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 29 2013, 09:29 PM) *

Thanks Eric. Makes sense. I guess the stupid question is do you have to do much in terms of modification to put in a different engine or is it sort of plug and play? unsure.gif

Anything with carbs is plug and play but if you go FI you have to add FI stuff!
jeeperjohn56
I would buy the car, take out the numbers macthing engine put it in storage and put in a 3.2 with motonics FI. then when you want to sell car you will have the origal motor. My 2cents John
jimkelly
if money is no object - i'd rebuild the six as orig numbers car and mostly store it.

and then i'd get a nice 914-4 and put the six of you choice in it for more regular driving, a beater : )

assuming you don't have some other exotic for daily driving.

what was the quote - ball park - to have the orig six rebuilt?

stock six is 110 hp

as 3.2 is 200 hp

jim
Cairo94507
I agree with JeeperJohn and that is what I am doing. My car is getting a stock '89 3.2 with Motronic.

In all fairness, I do not have my original block, the 914-6 case I have is from another 71 Six and is about 20 numbers off my original case. Regardless, even if it were the original case to my car, I would still box it and do the 3.2.
carr914
Keep the Original Engine on a shelf (Whole) and put 2.2 or 2.4. Anything Bigger and you will need to be adding additional Oil Coolers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.