Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who makes this hood? & is there a 914 flavor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
So? Anyone?
Jeroen
AFAIK, no one makes hoods like that.
If that's what you want, you'll have to get itchy and do some 'glass work yourself...
Joe Bob
Ya sure? I've quite a few over the years...seems like a good idea to increase air flow for a oil cooler....
rick 918-S
Check A.I.R. My friend here locally bought a body a used A.I.R. race car body kit from "B" The hood was cut like that.
Series9
I checked Getty and GT Racing catalogs. Nothing.

Maybe A.I.R., but I've never seen one like that before.
Brando
Why the 931 hood on a 914?
Stutgart46
Do you have a pic of the whole car?
The front looks great. It reminds me of an SC that a good friend of mine used to have. What a car. drooley.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 7 2004, 03:43 AM)
Ya sure?   I've quite a few over the years...seems like a good idea to increase air flow for a oil cooler....

I'm pretty sure that all hoods like that you've seen were modded hoods
The opening for the oilcooler exit depends a lot on where you exactly put the cooler, which cooler (size) etc., so it would be pretty hard to make a "one size fits all"

I'm sure a glass shop can custom make you one if you give them the dimensions
Then again, it wouldn't be too hard to do yourself...
ddroger
rolleyes.gif

I've seen something very much like this done on - Shhhh - Pontiac Fieros. On those cars the hood is plastic, and the duct can be made by cutting a "U" in the hood, pulling it down and filling in the wedge-shaped side gaps that result. On the 914 I'm sure it will mean building some additional front bulkhead & seal to keep the rest of the front trunk functional. Doing it in metal would require some sheet-metal skills as well as the fibreglassing issues. If there was a fibreglass aftermarket hood you could start from, it might be easier & better than taking a chance with a good genuine 914 front hood
boxstr
Looks like something Sir Andy would make. biggrin.gif But don't let Brad know.
CCLINAIR
VegasRacer
I've seen lots of 914 race cars with top venting for the oil cooler. I don't think I have ever come across two that were the same. I agree with Jeroen that they were all custom jobs.

Many of the big boys still vent it on the bottom. It's a lot easier to do that way. If you want the look - go for it. Another option is to cut vent slats in the hood instead of one big scoop.
TimT
No one sells a hood like that ready to install... That is a glass or steel hood that has been worked......here is mine under construction

http://www.rudtnersracing.com/update5.htm
retrotech
If you were going to vent through the hood, how much of an issue is it, to connect cooler, direct to vent?
JP's set up lets air collect in trunk, and vents through 2 - 3" holes I believe. He said it works great. So what are the pros & cons for allowing air to find vent, versus directing it?

Retro
J P Stein
Sigh.......I'm gonna prolly have to do something different......Tim's set up looks like a plan.

I'm putting a 5 gal gas tank on the front trunk floor. I really don't want the oil cooler to heat up the gas tank. I *might* get away with it for an AX only car, but it don't set right with me.
retrotech
JP, and others,

I understand your concern, and plan to change because of the gas tank. But is there anyone that can address the "need" to funnel air to exit vent, as opposed to letting escape?
J P Stein
QUOTE(retrotech @ Dec 6 2004, 08:35 PM)
JP, and others,

I understand your concern, and plan to change because of the gas tank. But is there anyone that can address the "need" to funnel air to exit vent, as opposed to letting escape?

As I've said before, my set-up works fine. With the front mount cooler, you have a high pressure area right there. All it "needs" is a neutral or low pressure spot to vent.....just my .02.
john rogers
All the ones I have seen were custom made for 914s too. The idea is to get some more down force on the front when running a big-assed rear wing. Note they all have a wickerbill at the front of the opening to break up the air flow going across the hood so it would tend to help the hot air exit. I would bet it is much better than exiting the hot air under the car but that is what many do (me included). You would need a fuel cell in the area where the stock tank sits or very close to it. There is one at Black Forest in San Diego right now if I remember correctly with this sort of cooler ducting?
GWN7
Looks like the GT40...allows for air to flow thru the rad and out.....like in this one in the indy museum.....
GWN7
front..
John
My brother is doing that to his 914 hood. It's steel. I think he had a pic of it in the members cars section.......

dflesburg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.