Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire pressure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
Not to sound dumb... but the PO of my car had the tires at about 40 psi. That seems a bit high. Any suggestions on what a GOOD pressure should be for everyday driving? The car gets a little scary to drive over 50 MPH right now.

Carlos
nebreitling
what do you mean by "scary"?

my 195/50 712's like upper 38 or so. pretty firm
Trekkor
I've always thought 32-35 psi was good for the street.

KT
jwalters
wacko.gif What does it say on the side of the tire?????

Because the car is so light---reduce that by 10-15% and you should have all the handling and ride to make you happy......... beer.gif
nebreitling
i had the kumho 712's at low 30's for a while with that same logic. car feels more tight and on rails with 'em pumped up. your mileage may vary,...
Carlitos Way
What I mean by scary is... when I get up to about 40 MPH or above, it seems as if the car is starting to wonder. Not sure if it's the tires, or if I have a problem with the suspension. I wanted to eliminate the tire pressure as a possibility first, kinda doing the "easiest fix first" thing first.

So I'll drop them to about 34 and see where they go... and if it's still scary... I guess I'll take a look at the suspension to see what I find.

Thanks for your input!

Carlos
nebreitling
it ain't the tires..

get it fixed! lift the rear end and try to pull the tires side to side (suspect trailing arm bushings)
Aaron Cox
get an ALIGNMENT!!! and chck your suspension bushings ASAP

Nathan, i run my falkens at 38 on the street, a little bumpy but they stick 10x better
Carlitos Way
Yeah... it seems all that is in order... but this week I'm working on a MC upgrade/320i caliper upgrades... might not make it to the fun run this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.