Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torque spec for CV joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aylanco
Hi All,

What is the torque spec for them thar cv joint bolts? I did a search and looked on the classic messege threads and didn't see it anywhere.

Also, what size is the bolt head (supposed to be?)?

My car is not with my tools right now and I'd like to bring along eveything I need.

Thanks!
Pesky 914
QUOTE(aylanco @ Dec 6 2004, 05:58 PM)
Hi All,

What is the torque spec for them thar cv joint bolts? I did a search and looked on the classic messege threads and didn't see it anywhere.

Also, what size is the bolt head (supposed to be?)?

My car is not with my tools right now and I'd like to bring along eveything I need.

Thanks!

I think the spec is like 36 ft/lbs. The bolts heads are the "triple square" type, either 8mm or 10mm.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif should be 35-36lbs. You should post this in the garage section. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
IIRC Porsche has superceeded the triple square allen socket bolts with regular hex socket bolts. At least the last time I ordered some from Porsche that's what I got. I never understood why they used those things anyway confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 7 2004, 08:16 AM)
IIRC Porsche has superceeded the triple square allen socket bolts with regular hex socket bolts. At least the last time I ordered some from Porsche that's what I got. I never understood why they used those things anyway confused24.gif

It was done to force the mechanics at the dealerships to buy porsche tool #xxxx to remove them. Now that the 914 doesn't go to a dealer for service, they buy less expensive, more readily available bolts to do the job.

I have always replaced them with allen head bolts. I hate the "triple square" bolts!! mad.gif
jwalters
wink.gif Yea, my factory manual says 31 lb-feet---make sure you have the hardened and ground locking washers------they are NOT split type..

Last thing you want is those bolts backing outta there-

Good luck!!!
Mueller
when I torque nuts and bolts, I normally start at a lower value and work my up to the specified number....amount a month ago while installing brand new CV bolts, I had one snap at 20ftlbs, a few others felt like they would do the same.....not sure if I got a bad batch or what...I got them from a bug shop and they looked at me like I was crazy when I complained about it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.