Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for a how to
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
I am trying to remove one of the three suspension console sleeves since a bolt sheared off inside of it. Per Chris's instructions, i used a 7/8" hole saw on the side that has the welds attaching it to the body. That was fine, and it looked as though it should have been able to be hammered out, but the thing wouldnt budge! So i went to the store and picked up at 1-1/4" hole saw for the other side, attempted to drill that out but the metal there was so thick that the hole saw just started smoking after getting through a tinny layer of the paint/metal. Now i dont know what to do! This attempt was on the spare suspension console i have, trying to remove it there first, keep that sleeve, and then do the same process on the sleeve on the car with the sheared bolt and weld the good one in.

I need advice from anyone that has done this before!!!

IPB Image

Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
Cheap hole saw won't cut anything. Buy a lennox bi metal. None other works as good. None.
nathansnathan
Use oil to lubricate as you cut.
bulitt
You need to follow Chris's advice. Use the bit size he recommends and buy the insert from him. Replaced one on my car. It sucks but stay at it. As noted get a quality hole saw, the saw with the bit attached, not the universal crap at HF. As noted, you need a hardened bi-metal one, not the wood working one.

Here are some Scotty Pics so you can see what you are drilling through-

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
jimkelly
http://www.tangerineracing.com/chassisrepair.htm
76-914
Use a low speed setting and plenty of cutting oil. Don't let the new hole saw (and I agree with the Lennox bi-metal) begin smoking. Stop and lubricate at this point then resume drilling. If you let the bit get cherry hot the target metal seems to harden.
ChrisFoley
I don't think its a good idea to cut thru the bottom with a 1 1/4" hole saw.
That will leave an oversize hole for the new piece.
If there is a weld around the bottom flange, you will need to cut thru it, but not thru the sheet metal of the console.
Show us a picture of the bottom of your test piece.
bulitt
I think I recall having to cut the weld on the bottom with a dremel and drill about 40 1/16" holes around the diameter? What a PITA. And now I remember thinking Chris should make the bottom of the replacement insert slightly larger so when the stock one is cut out with a hole saw the replacement will fit tight for welding.
dfelz
I will have to try again next weekend, and will oil that bitch up this time! I'll snap some pics too, what a PITA this is turning out to be!! headbang.gif headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.