Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what is a Barn Find?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
X911IC
Do you have to find it in a barn? I feel like I found a barn find, but am open to differing opinions. I have been patiently checking craigslist and other vehicle purchase sites looking for another retirement project. I was open to doing another 911 or 912, but everything seemed overpriced. So last week I found a 1975 914 advertised as having been in storage for 10 years. Seller said it ran prior to being put into storage and was to be a father/son project. Unfortunately for the seller, the father has become ill and they just want to get rid of the car. I bought it after viewing some pictures and talking to the seller. Got it home after a very difficult time getting it onto a trailer. Tire were supposed to be OK. Turned out they would not hold air which made it nearly impossible to put the car on the trailer. Two hours later everything was a go.

So now the car is in my garage waiting for me to begin the project. Is it a barn find? Who knows, but am looking forward to spending evening listening to classic rock while working on the new project. I will post pictures soon and look forward to your guidance and encouragement throughout the process. I hate the 75 bumpers and plan to retrofit earlier ones. The car is silver with black interior with 1.8 L engine. Only rust on the car is by the battery box which can easily be repaired. Also has aftermarket AC which is coming out. Anyone interested in the parts let me know.

Neil
Over the hill ex-fireman
rick 918-S
welcome.png Post photos when you get to it! Oh and get to work! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif aktion035.gif
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! welcome.png
raw1298
welcome.png what part of California are you from? Looking forward to pictures!
Cairo94507
welcome.png You seem to have the right mind set for this project - especially getting rid of the big ugly bumpers! Silver is a nice color on these cars.

Take your time and read the various build threads here and you will quickly see that chassis integrity is paramount and rust is the number one cause of failure in these builds.

Document everything well with photos it will help when you begin to reassemble the car and have forgotten what goes where. Good luck and have fun.
Mr.242
If they threw in their jackstands then they had started working on it....no jackstands? Then is sat idle for 10 years.

I personally love SILVER 914's. Get to work beer3.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Pics needed!
nolift914
welcome.png good luck with your build
boogie_man
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
euro911
There's quite a few members up and down the coast of CA, so there's a pretty good network in place.

agree.gif Post some PIX when you get a chance ...

welcome.png
X911IC
I'm up in the hills between Malibu and Agoura. Perfect area for canyon driving. Today I got some used tires onto wheels and put the car on a homemade dolly for movement in the garage. Got the interior stripped as well as moldings and rear bumper. Removed the AC unit in the cab. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post in the evening. Thanks for all the interest and look forward to sharing. I am looking forward to networking with others locally.
euro911
Think about sticking your name in your signature block ... X911IC sounds impersonal

poke.gif

signed, euro911 laugh.gif
X911IC
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 2 2013, 11:10 PM) *

Think about sticking your name in your signature block ... X911IC sounds impersonal

poke.gif

signed, euro911 laugh.gif

Sorry Mark, Just getting a feel for how this whole thing works. Thanks for the guidance. Hopefully I have added my name properly, Neil

Am starting a new thread with pictures as requested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.