Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
What's the true function of the bolt in the headlight bucket that screw into the back? The headlamp mount has a cutout which presumably is to help align the headlight, but does anyone know the true function? When should it be adjusted in or out?
Mueller
my guess:

it is there to limit how far the headlight goes up if one has to manually raise the headlights using the knob on the end of the motor
markb
I've always wondered about that.
John
That bolt won't stop the headlight motor.

The bolt is used to keep the headlight from bouncing when in the raised position. When in the raised position, the bolt should contact the cutout which will stabilize the headlight.

Those motors are strong (I believe I read somewhere that they would break through 1/4" thick ice when they were new). I do believe that they would easily break fingers if they got in the way (that's one of the reasons the "blinds" were only held in with rubber fasteners).

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
McMark
Seems like a good explaination. idea.gif

But would the headlight really bounce? The linkage is solid and the pivots are bolted down. The pivots aren't very hefty, so I suppose I could be convinced that they could lead to bouncing.

Who's got the PET? What's it called there.
John
When I first picked up my silver 914 street car and started driving it at night, the headlights would "bounce" when driving over bumps. Adjusting that bolt solved the problem. It doesn't take much for the headlights to "bounce" or "flutter".

I'm not sure of the technical term, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 6 2004, 11:14 PM)
the headlights would "bounce" when driving over bumps.

agree.gif

i have a bouncing pass. headlight. bugs the crap out of brad. i kinda like it tho ...

biggrin.gif Andy
mikey
So, you manually raise the headlights, then adjust the bolt until it contacts the headlight holder? How tight does the bolt need to be?
McMark
It would have to be adjusted without the white/black shroud in place, the headlights in the up position and probably need the bulbs removed.
John
Actually, you should be able to adjust them with all headlight components in place. (I know I did)

The bolt should have a slot in the end (for a straight blade screwdriver) used to turn the bolt in and out and there is a jam nut there to keep the bolt in position. It's kinda like adjusting valves.

It should not be too tight. Some contact is good. When adjusting, turn the bolt until contact is made and check the "play" in the headlight assembly. It will tighten up.

The goal here is to get rid of the looseness when in the raised position and that is all. If you make it too tight, you will just bend the tab that the bolt contacts (those are strong motors).

You can turn the headlights on and then remove the ground strap from the battery to keep the headlights up and not able to raise/lower.

When finished, you will probably want to re-aim your headlights.
914GT
After I got my car on the road my headlights bounced until I adjusted those bolts out to just slightly bind on the assembly. Completely took care of it.
aircooledboy
agree.gif

Exact same experience. I tightened everything I could see on the freaking assembly and made no improvement. Then I saw the bolt back there idea.gif , snugged it down= good as new.
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif That is exactly what the bolts are for. I have adjusted a few customer 914's over the years who complained about shaking or bouncing headlights. You don't need much if any pressure against the bucket either. Just turn the bolt until it touches and takes up any movement. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 7 2004, 07:19 AM)
You can turn the headlights on and then remove the ground strap from the battery to keep the headlights up and not able to raise/lower.

Or, just unplug the relay for that headlight's motor...

--DD
Carlitos Way
Sorry to do this but... as a newbie... experiencing the dreaded wink... I have to say it:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
McMark
It's #20. I don't think I have any cars with the headlights out right now.
arbitrary
A bit of thread resurrection... I found this thread useful but it did take a few minutes to figure out where the bolt is and how to adjust it. It is done entirely from within the front compartment - there's no need to remove any of the headlamp trim or indeed the headlights.

The tea dog the bolt is visible in the first picture and the slot by which it's adjusted and the jam nut are shown in the second picture.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.