Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding on Type 4 Case- Possible ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
All,

I had to have some work done on my case ( long story but was never given advice by so call expert machine shop).
Upon returning to pick up case, machine shop pulls out the case and says that it's not finished and it's real 'hard' ...as in there's pin hole leaks around the weld.
When I looked at the weld, I mentioned that weld looks like a young child weled it. Person mentioned it's one of there "new' employee's job _:(.
He goes no and says that case is 40+ years old and every case is different and they figured that 1 hr of labor and now has 4 hr into it ..but will 'try' to fix it. My reply was -if this is a difficult job-WHY did they let a new person butcher up the weld job. the weld job is about 1 x 1/2 inch long near the rear of the case....Need some expert advice here _:(. Thanks in advance .. sad.gif
rick 918-S
Is there something trick about the case? Why not just replace it. I'm sure if you put an ad in the classifieds you'd get 10 hits. To answer your question, yes you can weld the case. Sounds like it was still dirty in the crack. I would never trust that case again after seeing that booger weld.
mepstein
I've given away 4 engines just to get them out of the garage. Ask around and find a decent core that doesn't need the repair, repaired. But I would think the shop should stand behind their work and make it right on their dime.
VaccaRabite
Just get a new case.
They are usually give-away items.

Zach
ChrisFoley
Whoever did the repair clearly doesn't know how to weld aluminum.
I wouldn't trust that shop if they aren't taking responsibility for their lack of knowledge/experience.
All, I don't trust them..but decided to go back since they are close to house. As for the welding, owner came out and mentioned that welder is two weeks new to company - but knows how to weld!... I was thinking oh just like any 10 year old. As for case...it's been line bore, opened up for 103 and boat tail mains, along with oil plugs changed over to SAE fittings.....I have over $900 in it -sad.gif so I would like to save it. If anyone wants to know which expert company ...PM me so you will not have to experience what I'm going through...!
chad newton
Jb weld?? It's hokey, but will probably solve your issue.
rick 918-S
The block will need to be line bored again once they get done welding the shit out of it. Waste of time. The worst part is no confidence once the work is completed.
Jake Raby
By the time they get the weld completed the entire case will probably be tweaked from all the excess heat generated by the process. These cases weld nicely if cleaned properly and pre-heated before Tig welding. A post-cooling process is also beneficial to avoid distortion.

If he is trying to weld the interior of the case its very difficult to ever overcome the contamination of 4 decades of expose to engine oil has created.

Start looking for another case.
Guys. Thanks for the comments. Replacing the case, that's what I'm was thinking. ..but this expert shop said no we can do it by talking our time. -sad.gif
r_towle
Just want to point out that you got an answer from two professional welders who have been doing this for 30 plus years and from one of the premiere engine builders of type 4 motors.

All three gave you sound advice, don't throw good money after bad, find a new case, find a new machine shop, do it again today, or do it again shortly after you build the motor...

Rich
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 3 2013, 07:43 PM) *

Just want to point out that you got an answer from two professional welders who have been doing this for 30 plus years and from one of the premiere engine builders of type 4 motors.

All three gave you sound advice, don't throw good money after bad, find a new case, find a new machine shop, do it again today, or do it again shortly after you build the motor...

Rich

You are correct! I'm never going to take anything back to Rimco again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.