Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug swap. SC front end bolts not lining up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I've got the front suspension on. Have had it there for a while just didn't bolt up the 2 front bolts. Was going to throw on my flat tow bar on. I notice the holes are off. They stick forward a good 3/8 to half inch? I tried tapping with a rubber mallet to see if just needed to settle. No luck & I didn't want to really hammer on it. Looks like there is some room for it to move back where the bars go through the main bar. Take a look at the pics. I am replacing the tie rods so it isn't all hooked up
toolguy
It's a straight bold in swap. . Loosen, do not remove, the long bolt thru the alum cross member and the front strap bolt from the body to the cross member, then tap the A arms back, place the front bolts and start to thread them in, then tighten the long rear bolts.
Elliot Cannon
If you tightened the aft bolts, you need to loosen them, see if everything will move and line up, get the other bolts started then tighten them all. If installing something with more than one bolt, I always get them all started before I tighten any of them.
chad newton
Your bushings may need to be pulled together alittle. I had trouble with mine so I wrapped a rope round the control arm and the back support bar and twisted it with a bar until it tightened up. I had trouble to, especially because I did it by myself and on jack stands.
r_towle
The rear holes have oblong holes...loosen up everything, put all bolts in by hand first.

If you still can't quite do it, put a long bar clamp on the bars to compress the rubber slightly.
McMark
Yup, the a-arm has pulled from the rear bushings a bit. A pipe clamp may pull it into position. Even if it's under tension, once the car is driving and thing wiggle, it'll settle in just fine.
JRust
Cool I'll get to it again tomorrow afternoon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.