Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which side is the output on a sandwich plate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am putting new hose on my external oil cooler. I am trying to figure out which side of my sandwich plate is the output side so I know which side to put my thermostat on. Can anybody give me an idea base on this picture. I am trying to avoid taking the sandwich plate off. I cranked the starter for a few seconds to see which side the oil came from however it came out of both sides so that was't much help.

Below is a link to the same adapter plate that I have-

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Pro.../51712/10002/-1

Click to view attachment
tornik550
If it will help- the thermostatic spring is on the right side in my picture? I cannot remember exactly how the sandwich plate works. Am I correct in saying that the thermostatic spring is normally on the output side? If the spring is open, then the oil goes straight to the filter- if it is closed then it goes to the cooler- is this correct?
Dave_Darling
The oil goes from the pump to the outer part of the oil filter housing, then goes from the center port of the housing back into the engine.

I can't tell from the picture which port goes to the outer area of the housing and which goes to the center part.

The sandwich plate I used has arrows molded on the sides by the ports. I suggest you scribe arrows in yours once you determine which is which. It will make life easier if you ever have to go through this exercise again.

--DD
tornik550
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 4 2013, 11:19 AM) *

The oil goes from the pump to the outer part of the oil filter housing, then goes from the center port of the housing back into the engine.

I can't tell from the picture which port goes to the outer area of the housing and which goes to the center part.

The sandwich plate I used has arrows molded on the sides by the ports. I suggest you scribe arrows in yours once you determine which is which. It will make life easier if you ever have to go through this exercise again.

--DD

So am I correct that the thermostat spring should be on the output side? I inspected and mine does not have any arrows.
tornik550
biggrin.gif
tornik550
biggrin.gif
Harpo
I'm not sure if this is good advise or not

What if you cleaned up both fittings then bumped your starter. The fitting with oil on it would be the output right?

Hope this helps

DAvid
tornik550
QUOTE(Harpo @ Aug 4 2013, 03:41 PM) *

I'm not sure if this is good advise or not

What if you cleaned up both fittings then bumped your starter. The fitting with oil on it would be the output right?

Hope this helps

DAvid

That's what I thought also however when I turned the starter it shot out both sides!
Dr Evil
av-943.gif Luck, you have it smile.gif
tornik550
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 4 2013, 04:08 PM) *

av-943.gif Luck, you have it smile.gif

Luck- Hah!!!! I'm a freaking expert at screwing up my car!!!
tornik550
Click to view attachment

Here is a different picture of the same filter. The side that is up is the side that connects to the engine. The other side connects to the oil filter. So if the oil normally flows on the outside of the filter the back up the center- wouldn't it seem that by looking at this picture- the left port would be the output port. The spring in on the bottom side. When it heats up, it blocks off that little hole that can be seen on th etop side (pictured).

So- left side=output side?????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.