Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Would anyone know the size of the jet used for the fuel mixture in a Weber 32/36 DFV carb? Mechanic working on my car cannot get the fuel mixture straightened out (too rich) and has suggested I order 3 progressively smaller jets for him to try. This doesn't sound too difficult, but I don't know the size I am starting with. If no one on the board knows, any suggestions on where I can find this info?
I know a single carb is not the ideal set up, but it's what I own at present.
Thanks in advance for the help.
r_towle
Based upon the design, a single carb always runs rich, especially when the car is cold.

The distance of the runners allows the fuel/air mixture to separate and the fuel become heavier prior to entering the heads.

This setup, while it works, is the worst setup for our cars.
A set of dual carbs is much better.

Ray Mital, rmital here has tweaked his setup and got it working to a tolerable level.

Try sending him a pm here to see what he did.
dirk9141973
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 3 2013, 08:22 PM) *

Based upon the design, a single carb always runs rich, especially when the car is cold.

The distance of the runners allows the fuel/air mixture to separate and the fuel become heavier prior to entering the heads.

Ray Mital, rmital here has tweaked his setup and got it working to a tolerable level.

agree.gif tough to setup because of length of intake and in cool weather 60 deg you can get frost on tubes temporary carb set up !
mrholland2
How are the dual single barrel carbs? I'm going to upgrade from my single progressive but not sure I want to spend or deal with the dual two barrels

Sean

mrholland2
Although I'm considering changing it out, I have a single progressive with a modified air cleaner assembly that uses an HE for a heat riser.

QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Aug 3 2013, 08:31 PM) *

agree.gif tough to setup because of length of intake and in cool weather 60 deg you can get frost on tubes temporary carb set up !

r_towle
Meh, but they can be made to run good.

Dual webers are the best carbs to use, and they are really not hard to setup if you ask for advise.
mrholland2

Which will be the most fuel efficient in town driving?

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 3 2013, 08:43 PM) *

Meh, but they can be made to run good.

Dual webers are the best carbs to use, and they are really not hard to setup if you ask for advise.

r_towle
Fuel injection
mrholland2
That wasn't . . and isn't. . and option. LOL

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 3 2013, 09:01 PM) *

Fuel injection

r_towle
It actually is an option...

The motor is built for fuel injection, so the camshaft won't do better with carbs, it will do worse.

But, a well setup set of dual carbs is much better than your single carb, they are easy to tune, and you can buy a kit from cb performance with everything you need.

Now, once you see what that costs, fuel injection is not really that far out of an idea.

Plenty of guys have used fuel injection parts here, or on ebay....

If fuel mileage is your number one concern, fuel injection is the best choice.

You need to decide what you want from the car and head in that specific direction.

Rich
mrholland2
New motor. . with a "carb" camshaft. Sorry I didn't mention that.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 3 2013, 09:08 PM) *

It actually is an option...

The motor is built for fuel injection, so the camshaft won't do better with carbs, it will do worse.

But, a well setup set of dual carbs is much better than your single carb, they are easy to tune, and you can buy a kit from cb performance with everything you need.

Now, once you see what that costs, fuel injection is not really that far out of an idea.

Plenty of guys have used fuel injection parts here, or on ebay....

If fuel mileage is your number one concern, fuel injection is the best choice.

You need to decide what you want from the car and head in that specific direction.

Rich

Trekkor
I've always wondered why the single carb has bad reviews?

VW used a single center carb for what, 30 years or more?

KT
KELTY360
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Aug 3 2013, 11:01 PM) *

I've always wonder why the single carb has bad reviews?

KT

Yeah, but the 914 isn't a VW...it's a Porsche! shades.gif hide.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Aug 4 2013, 02:01 AM) *

Yes, on a Type 1 they did. But the Type 4 layout is much wider and with the low runners going to each cylinder, fuel that is mixed in the center of the engine then has to travel the length of that whole runner, then make an almost 180 degree bend before entering the cylinder.

The Type 1 carb runners are much shorter, because of the engine's smaller physical size and are heated (to help keep the fuel atomized in the runner). Even then, not an ideal setup. Hence why VW pushed fuel injection so much when they moved to the Type 4.
Nozzle

KT

I was curious about that myself. My '66 bug had a factory single carb on it's type I engine and seemed to run fine or at least as well as intended. Maybe the key is the way the type VI was originally designed for EFI while the type I was designed for a carb application? I don't know for sure but I don't think VW or Porsche used anything but EFI on the type VI from the factory.

Sorry for the posting high-jack... biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Have you ever talked to a VW mechanic about people who remove the heat risers from their engines? If you do, be prepared to learn some new curse words...

Those are major factors as to why the single-carb setup works better in the Type I motors than in the Type IV motors.

I talked to mrholland2 at the last 9:14 breakfast up at Alice's, and it sounds like his cobbled-together setup may actually make the dreaded Weber Progressive work decently. He has heat exchanger air ducted into the carb, which helps with the icing and mixture drop-out problems.

A pair of baby carbs (e.g., single-throat 36es or a similar small throat, single or dual throat) would likely work OK and might get better fuel mileage, at the expense of top-end power. I have heard someone on one of the forums say that they got good mileage and lousy top-end from a pair of small carbs. So it might be one way to go. But then, that will be fighting against the carb camshaft, which is optimized for better top-end and not for low-RPM running. So....

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Nozzle @ Aug 4 2013, 08:10 AM) *

KT

I was curious about that myself. My '66 bug had a factory single carb on it's type I engine and seemed to run fine or at least as well as intended. Maybe the key is the way the type VI was originally designed for EFI while the type I was designed for a carb application? I don't know for sure but I don't think VW or Porsche used anything but EFI on the type VI from the factory.

Sorry for the posting high-jack... biggrin.gif

'72-'74 Bus had dual Solex.carbs, '74 European market 914 had the same carbs.

The Cap'n
jaxdream
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Aug 3 2013, 10:01 PM) *

KT

Yep ,72 Super Beetle , and come winter time here where I live , I ducttapped the hood grill intake slots and still had runner frosting . Even had it freeze up to the point it died on me and got a tow home , With exhaust heat cross over working.

Jack
Trekkor
Did the type four motors that were equipped with carbs from the factory use a different cam?

KT
mrholland2
oi wub.gif
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 4 2013, 08:26 AM) *

Have you ever talked to a VW mechanic about people who remove the heat risers from their engines? If you do, be prepared to learn some new curse words...

Those are major factors as to why the single-carb setup works better in the Type I motors than in the Type IV motors.

I talked to mrholland2 at the last 9:14 breakfast up at Alice's, and it sounds like his cobbled-together setup may actually make the dreaded Weber Progressive work decently. He has heat exchanger air ducted into the carb, which helps with the icing and mixture drop-out problems.

A pair of baby carbs (e.g., single-throat 36es or a similar small throat, single or dual throat) would likely work OK and might get better fuel mileage, at the expense of top-end power. I have heard someone on one of the forums say that they got good mileage and lousy top-end from a pair of small carbs. So it might be one way to go. But then, that will be fighting against the carb camshaft, which is optimized for better top-end and not for low-RPM running. So....

--DD

What. about returning FI to a car with a Carb camshaft?
r_towle
They type 1 motor has a slight faster intake velocity speed also, that makes an impact.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Aug 4 2013, 04:29 PM) *

What. about returning FI to a car with a Carb camshaft?

The stock stuff isn't going to run right with a different cam. The L-jet is evidently a little more tolerant in that regard than the D-jet, but there's only so far you can go.

There's Megasquirt, where you can do all sorts of things because you not only set up the tables it uses, you can change the programming entirely, and you even build it yourself.

That's evidently a setup that is great for people who want to learn about how fuel injection works and who love to tinker.

SDS makes something that is supposed to be more plug-and-play, but there is much less adjustment available.

--DD
rhodyguy
there is little dif between "dealing" with a set of one barrel carbs and a set of 2 barrel webers or dels. you should apply the $ you're wasting having your mechanic fight the progressive towards an appropriate set of carbs.
Spoke
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Aug 3 2013, 11:11 PM) *

Would anyone know the size of the jet used for the fuel mixture in a Weber 32/36 DFV carb? Mechanic working on my car cannot get the fuel mixture straightened out (too rich) and has suggested I order 3 progressively smaller jets for him to try. This doesn't sound too difficult, but I don't know the size I am starting with. If no one on the board knows, any suggestions on where I can find this info?
I know a single carb is not the ideal set up, but it's what I own at present.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Ed,

I had the single carb on my 914 and replaced with dual Webers and it was a world of difference.

The single carb can be made to work ok with the T4 engine but the dual webers are the better choice.

I've seen used Webers with intake runners and linkage in the $400 range. It's well worth the investment.

I wouldn't mess with the single carb and just look for a set of duals.

Spoke

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.