Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Runman07
Well, I've been lurking around here for too long not to make some sort of introduction.

My name is Brant, i am 20 years old, and i reside in southwest ohio. I have loved cars from the moment i recieved my first Hot Wheels car. i know a lot of different cars, import and domestic, and respect all equally. i am partial to unusual powerplants, and odd cars. that is why i am such a huge subaru nut. i know almost everything there is to know in the model line, history, or engine line that there is to know.

that might be why i am attracted to the 914. other than the fact that my friends dad has an original 914/6 in gold, which is an original optional color i believe. back on topic, the flat four engine is a great powerplant due to its natural balance, low center of gravity, and its unnatural sound.

as for my previous cars, i have had two 1997 Subaru Outback Sport's, and a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, which is my current daily driver. right now, i am looking into buying a rust-free, complete shell to start the process of building my street ripping machine.

the plans for the car are as follows:
-1969-76 914/4 (no need to ruin a 914/6)
-engine cradle (renegade or equivalent)
-custom engine
-ej22t case
-ej205 heads
-2.31L stroker kit
-280/280 cams
-JDM Spec C manifold
-Custom header
-GT3071 Twin-scroll
-Boxster 986 6 speed Transmission
-MR2 shifter
-custom axels
-five lug conversion
-koni shocks
-Momo steering wheel
-bucket seats
-Triton pedals
and cant mess with a classic setup
-17x8 and 17x9 Fuch Replicas

now i know that is only half the list, there is a lot to think about while doing the swap. and i have to dump some money into this. but i have done my research and found from a lot of people's experiences, what will work the best. i have referenced many people's builds, from this site and others.

so i hope to converse and exchange ideas with you all. it seems that this site has a more welcoming enviornment than that of other forums ive been on.

-Brant Fowle
KELTY360
welcome.png
Tom
welcome.png and good luck on your project, sounds like a fun car.
Tom
budk
Welcome to the forum. There are always good rollers popping up in the classified section if you keep your eyes open. Buy one that is solid so as to avoid the rust repairs that most require.

I'm in Washington Pa but I got my 914 from a garage sale in Columbus, OH.

Good luck!
Cairo94507
welcome.png You will have some fun with this project. It would be nice if you could post pictures of your friend's dad's gold Six.
76-914
1st welcome.png . And since your doing a Suby conversion here is another welcome.png . A few of us are doing Suby conversions and it always helps to have some Suby knowledge in the galleries, so to speak.
914-300Hemi
stromberg.gif and good luck with your project.
Runman07
Thanks guys, ill see if I can track down an old pic of the gold "6". It's been a while since I've seen it.

I think I might have a lead on one, I just have to negotiate a price, and talk with the seller some more before I make my final decision.

914-300Hemi, what did you mean by the emoticon?
turk22
Welcome from your neck of the woods, I'm in Liberty Twp, near Hamilton. Good luck with the search. Hope the deal in Indy works out, looks like a good roller..

Turk

welcome.png
tscrihfield
Hello Brant,
I live just a few miles south of you near Middletown. Sounds like you have good plans here... I would advise you stick with a Boxster shifter if you are going to run the trans. They shift wondrefully and will work fine. You may get lucky and be able to run stock boxster cables even. Best of luck on the search for a good chassis! Let us locals know if you need to source parts, there are many of us around with plenty of parts from our buying of 10 cars to make one... LOL...

Oh and welcome.png

Thomas
ConeDodger
welcome.png
Runman07
Is the plastic on the boxster shifter ever a problem? I just figured that since the mr2 shifter was all metal, that it would be a tad sturdier...

And definitely will hit you up for parts, the guy in Indy isn't replying so I'm looking at another in southern MI
messix
your too young to be this sick happy11.gif

welcome.png
PanelBilly
welcome
Socalandy
welcome.png looking forward to a build thread
Runman07
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 4 2013, 10:47 PM) *

your too young to be this sick happy11.gif

welcome.png

ive been this sick ever since i bought my first car and thought what i could swap into the craiziest thing. so basically what i did was researched until i fully understood what i was looking at, read through countless build threads to see what other people were experiencing, to see what worked and what failed.

so the reasoning behind my build is this:
Porsche 914. the more understated of porsches, doesnt get the purist's eye as much and therefore its easier to mod and not be shunned completely from the community. (plus i absolutely love the way it looks.)

ej22t: closed deck block means more boost can be applied and it wont blow the block, however it came with terrible flowing heads, so therefore...

ej205 heads: decent flowing heads, reletively inexpensive, huge aftermaket support for valves, springs, and most importantly: cams.

boxster 986 6 speed: stout, made for midengined configuration, used in the 996, so definitely capable of holding high torque.

however thats as far as i know, im great with engines, but bad with bodywork and everything associated with that, so i want to learn. in order for me to do that, i need something to practice on, and this seems to be the right choice. and just throwing this out there, and help, tips, tricks and advice on that topic is appreicated.

and oh yeah, there will definitely be a build thread.

-Brant
rick 918-S
welcome.png
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Runman07 @ Aug 4 2013, 09:05 PM) *
(plus i absolutely love the way it looks.)

You might want to invest in glasses... wink.gif

Sounds like a crazy project--and scary in a good way!

--DD
pilothyer
welcome.png
zymurgist
welcome.png
saigon71
welcome.png Welcome to the madness!

Sounds like an ambitious project. Good luck and keep us posted!

beerchug.gif
tscrihfield
QUOTE(Runman07 @ Aug 4 2013, 10:27 PM) *

Is the plastic on the boxster shifter ever a problem? I just figured that since the mr2 shifter was all metal, that it would be a tad sturdier...

And definitely will hit you up for parts, the guy in Indy isn't replying so I'm looking at another in southern MI

The plastic body for the shifter hasn't seemed to be an issue (I've beat on a few and never seemed to notice).

Keep an eye on the hell hole. Our region consumed these cars in rust.

Thomas
Runman07
From what it seems like, the one I'm looking at doesn't have rust in there. It looks really clean...
Drums66
.....WELCOME.....
bye1.gif flag.gif shades.gif
green914
welcome.png
Chris Pincetich
I've never had more than 85 HP and my 914 is a blast to drive beerchug.gif
There will be rust! Read all the "tips for buying 914" threads here and all the "where is rust?" threads too. Learn to use "search" on this forum. Mine had rusty floorpans but solid where it counts.
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.