Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of front strut is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mramber
I was all set to replace my strut inserts this morning but now I have hit a snag. I ordered boge replacements thinking that is what I had in the car. But the cap on top of the cartridge is different as is the diameter of the shaft. Before I try to pull this insert out can anyone identify what I have and if I have the right replacement inserts?

Thanks in advance!

tscrihfield
Those are bilstein struts. Can you photo the rest of the strut?

mramber
Here is a pic of the rest of the strut
Cap'n Krusty
Knock out the roll pin near the base of the strut and the insert comes right out. No one else makes a replacement, so you're gonna have to buy the real deal. Might wanna call Jonathan at GPR tomorrow. BTW, green struts indicate the car is Bilstein
equipped, and the roll pin is a dead giveaway.

Good luck! The Cap'n
mramber
Thanks for the help, I see the roll pin now and I will try to tap it out. Were these factory struts? Or did a PO change something out?
mramber
OK got one side apart, here is a pic of the cartridge. So how to I order the correct Bilstein replacement size? Is this the same as a 73 911? When I look on Pelican parts, they show a Bilstein cartridge replacement, but the photo looks nothing like mine. The 73 911 replacement looks just like what I took out of my car.

Here is a pic of my cartridge
mramber
I also got the numbers off the outside of the strut, date code 9 72
part# 914 34109134

Now I just want to make sure that I am ordering the correct replacement cartridge
Cap'n Krusty
Bilstein strut inserts are available for many other Porsche struts. You need the ones that fit ONLY the struts you have. Look up inserts for a 911 SC, specifically for the Bilstein struts. As I said earlier, Jonathan at GPR can help you. Here are the manufacturer's part numbers you need. Pick whichever suits you best.

34-050019, Strut Insert, B6 heavy duty series

34-050507, Strut insert, B8 sport series

The Cap'n
mramber
Thanks for the help Cap'n! I will give Jonathan a call tomorrow
Jeff Hail
You have an early Bilstein strut. Its longer than the later ones and the wall thickness of the tube is thinner. No matter - The spindle and the damper inserts are the same.

Since yours is pretty much ancient make sure you save the gland cap as the oe's are NLA. I would recommend replacing the wiper seal when you install the new inserts. Clint at Rebel Racing can supply both a new wiper seal and an aftermarket cap if yours is too wallored to reuse.

The new replacement inserts have completely different valving than the era inserts. They tend to lean to the heavier bodied 911 valvings. The HD's work really well with stock torsion bars.

For posterity:
(Late left, early right)

mramber
Just a quick follow up, I spoke to Jonathan at GPR and new new strut inserts are on the way. This guy is a class act, even taking my call while on vacation in the wilderness and coordinating the part order!

Thanks Cap'n for the contact info

and Thanks Jonathan for great customer service!
Eric_Shea
Odd. Late caliper on early insert?
mramber
final follow up. The new inserts are in and the car drives great! I went with the B8 sport series but after assessing the 40 year old struts that I took out I must admit that a chunk of old wet news paper would have been better than what I had in there. I was basically riding on what was left of chunks from the rubber bushings. Much better now!
piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.