Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many 914 LE cars were built?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Until recently, the only 'official' record we had about the number of 914 LE cars built was the March 1974 dealer newsletter Parade introducing the car, announcing 1000 would be built for only the USA market.

But recently I was sent this letter below on Porsche AG letterhead, from 1988, indicating only about 800 914LEs were actually built. That they built less than the 1000 originally intended is no surprise given that the 914LEs, even though fully loaded with options and even some special 914LE-only equipment (front spoiler, side stripes and paint code) at a bargain price, were slow sellers.

We know from the catalog of the former Matsuda Museum in Japan that 20 914SL (Japan market LE's) shipped to Japan and George Hussey owns the only 914SL Bumblebee known to exist.

I know of a very few 914GTs (German market LEs) in Europe including a well documented 1.8L 914GT.

We have approximately 150 Bumblebees and 100 Creamsicles indicated as 'active' on the 914 LE Registry, but the actual status some of the cars on the Registry is uncertain - our information is incomplete becasue we don;t have owner contact info to verify some of the cars. Significantly fewer than 250 LEs are living and driving today. I have been thinkling for some time now about reduciung the LE Registry cars to only those we have a complete set of data and owner contact information on. What would you do with the 914LE Registry if you were me?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 4 2013, 08:35 PM) *
What would you do with the 914LE Registry if you were me?

Keep all the LE info you have, even for the ones you think are outdated and distinguish the fully documented ones from the rest.

It ain't a registry if you're filtering content and hiding cars depending on your personal approval/disapproval ...
shades.gif
shoguneagle
Agree with Andy. It is part of a registry to distinguish the documented items and items that are not in that category. You are fulfilling the registry responsibilities and obligations thus letting people have all the appropriate information available for decision, information, and judgement factors.

Steve
balljoint
Did 200 of the 1000 produced get exported to Canada? The letter says 800 exported to the USA. It does not say 800 produced.

And I keep all my puzzle pieces together. You never know what small piece might make a connection.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines. All data will be kept. What I am thinking is going through the Registry and Identifying cars that we have very little information, then just greying out their line on the Registry (like I do for the known destroyed cars) and not counting that car in the totals for 'known surviving' Bumblebees and Creamsicles.

It is important to understand that the 914 LE Registry is a list of 'known surviving' 914LE cars, but it also contains available data on destroyed LE cars for posterity, but the 'surviving number' count does not include these destroyed cars.

For example I would remove those cars from the count that have only a VIN and/or an indicator of BB or CS, but no other information to verify authenticity - No owner contact, no photo, no anything to distinguish or verify their authenticity. A certain number of these cars are no doubt destroyed by now for all we know. A good # of the cars do not have a COA, and while they are probably authentic, we know of a number of posers (listed separately on the Registry and not in the count).

Just trying to make the Registry be real and as accurate as possible and not include/disclude any cars unreasonably.
NORD
Jeff; I have come across three people in the last two monthes that did not even know of the 914 world. This number could grow as more people find us. I was also told of two cars sitting in the trees half way up the side of Mt. Baker. I will go by them next time I'm up and check condition as well as vin# driving.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(NORD @ Aug 5 2013, 07:15 AM) *

Jeff; I have come across three people in the last two monthes that did not even know of the 914 world.

Well 914World and the 914 LE Registry are two different websites, but your point about those that may own LE cars and not even know about the registry is a good one.

I agree with the others that all the LE cars should be included. Jeff, your site is so well done, I'm not sure I'd change anything. But if changes are made to help clarify which cars are fully documented, that sounds reasonable.

Regarding the total number of LE cars made, the point about Canada seems valid. After all, it is the limited edition "Can-Am" package that makes these cars special.
r_towle
Should be Two sections of the same list.
Verified cars and non verified cars.

Rich
budk
I agree with keeping the full list but indicating those with have been verified. Trying to track whether or not you have the correct ownership contact info is a moving target. You may have the ownership info correct one day and then the car gets sold and the info isn't updated.

You'll never get it 100% but we appreciate what you do. My LE project with COA is still a work in progress.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.