Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - computer guru's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
So I installed a simple basic printer driver for my HP multi-function machine because I don't use it to scan, fax, etc... Plus I hate that 60mb driver it ships with that leaves about 4 programs running all the time.

Everything works great as far as the printer goes but W2K keeps asking me to install the HP K60 everytime I boot up.

How do I stop the auto-detect for the K60?
ClayPerrine
Here's your answer. You need to first install the HP printer drivers. Then open up regedit, and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM

Export the registry key LPTENUM as a .reg file on the desktop.

Disconnect the printer and uninstall the printer drivers.

Then reconnect the printer, install the driver you want to use.

Import the .reg file that you created before.

The contents of the LPTENUM registry key contains the printers that have been added with plug and play. If you import the registry key from when the printer was installed, then it won't go looking for the drivers.

Reference Microsoft KB article Q298370. The article is for XP, but the registry data applies to Win2K as well.

Clay Perrine, MCSE
Microsoft Directory services support.
machina
well, that's an answer huh.gif

I'm too lazy, can I just turn off auto-detect for new hardware for now? I'm on a deadline and don't have the time.

And thanks clay for your answer, didn't think it would be so complicated.
ClayPerrine
You can turn off plug and play, and that will stop it. But it stops it for the whole box.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.