Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving to Oregon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
drunk.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif smash.gif stirthepot.gif smoke.gif bye1.gif

Just setting in our "new house with garages" and dreaming of all the things I can be doing on the computers and cars. We are in the process of moving items from Flagstaff, AZ to Grants Pass, OR; just having the time to set down and do a little dreaming is great.

We closed on the house a couple of days ago and now transferring some of our items in Grants Pass Storage to the house. I have been placing my tool boxes, computer systems, and books in places I would like to use them and making them handy. I have gone from a two car garage in Flagstaff to a four car garage plus in Grants Pass.

It certainly is a great feeling in planning where everything goes and anticipating working on the cars (914-sizer and Alfa Romeo presently); have room but do not have any height for a hoist. Still have two cars and all the tools in Flagstaff storage but it will soon be taken to Grants Pass (a couple more weeks and then??????)

I guess we are officially Oregonians and will need to get everything licensed including myself.

Oh, Happy Days Are Coming!!!!! bs.gif bs.gif aktion035.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Welcome to the PNW!!!

stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif
bulitt
Any rednecks up thar? Just put the lift outside like they do down here in the Carolinas. blink.gif
Andyrew
Congrats Steve!
ben*james
Insert "Welcome to the PNW Sign"
Don't tell anyone how awesome it is...
mstein95
bye1.gif
beerchug.gif
JRust
Congrats Steve. As far as a lift. Just get a Mid Rize Scissor lift. Perferct for your average garage ceiling. Mine is basically maxed out just before the roof hits. Works out great & is perfect for dropping the motor. I love mine & would be happy to show mine off for you if you get a little north to Corvallis biggrin.gif . Welcome & hopefully we'll have some BBQ or some kind of drive before summer is over shades.gif
Drums66
Wonderful place to live!(God bless) idea.gif

bye1.gif
gilty
Welcome to GP. I have been here since 1961.I don't post much, but lurk a lot. 914s, vanagons, subarus, mgbs, and others.
PanelBilly
Worship the summer while its here. Winter is not the cooler version of summer like it is in AZ.
Rand
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 5 2013, 09:07 PM) *

Worship the summer while its here. Winter is not the cooler version of summer like it is in AZ.

This ain't Seattle (or the rest of the PNW - no matter how much the ding dongs will argue).

You'll have plenty of nice weather. Winter is when you have snowball fights and ski Mt Ashland.

Billy is right though, the seasons will be way different. Just have to make the best of them. But I'll take a Grass Pants winter over a Phoenix summer any day.

beerchug.gif
AfricanHijinx
Welcome to PNW. I just moved from Portland to WA last week. not fun moving a project from nice garage to outside tent while I build one.
relentless
Welcome, but sorry you are having to come right during the height of fire season. I heard one third of all the firefighters in the country are in Oregon right now. sad.gif

QUOTE(gilty @ Aug 5 2013, 08:44 PM) *

Welcome to GP. I have been here since 1961.I don't post much, but lurk a lot. 914s, vanagons, subarus, mgbs, and others.

Since you live in GP, what's the name of the shop / recking yard in a town before GP that has mounds and mounds of VW cars. The shop is on the right side going northbound. Lots of vintage VWs..
Thanks
cpavlenko
ahhhhh, Flagstaff, My house front view is the San Fran peaks. Have u seen the new telescope at Lowell observatory. I think it is called the Discovery Channel scope. I go often to Flagstaff. Enjoy Oregon. To bad we didn't hook up. I'm at Chino Valley, AZ.
cary
Welcome ......................
shoguneagle
Thanks everyone for the welcome to Oregon. I lived in Flagstaff which is at 7,000 feet and its winters is definitely a lot worse that any I will see here in Grants Pass. We had colder, snow, drier, ice, etc. Grants Pass is wetter, seasonal changes, but not as server as Flagstaff. I will take Grants Pass winters over Flagstaff (Flag is not Phoenix; it is 7000 feet high country)

I do have a lot of friends around the Flagstaff area but I am looking forward to developing new ones here in Oregon. I did grow up in Northern California and lived in Santa Clara for forty years before moving into retirement in Flagstaff. We lasted eight years before because of health reasons moved to Grants Pass whereas we currently set.

Great hear from "Andyrew", great to hear from the Oregon 914ers, and great to hear from the "silent 914ers" from the Flagstaff area. It does make one feel good and gives a lot of reasons why we are involved with the 914 crew. It is simply great to read all the messages people took the time to write under this thread. Thanks and I will be come more involved as I finish my 914 Sixer Project.

I did see a truck(s) of the Hot Shots from Morman Lake in one of the shopping center parking lots here in Grants Pass. Like being at home in Flagstaff. I can believe all the firefighters are here in Oregon judging by the smoke and heat. I guess we are getting everything at once so it wants us to feel at home. Two of the separate fires became one in the last day or so. They are letting the area burn out since it is in very rough terrain and they are remembering the Arizona Yarnell(?) fire where the 19 Hot Shot members died. These are the "Best of the Best" and they are always willingly go into fire's harms way.

Our house in Flagstaff was right under the San Francisco Peaks and about four miles from the Snow Bowl road turnoff to the ski area. Always enjoyed going to the top.

Jaime, thanks for the info regarding the sissor jack. Looking forward to meeting other 914ers. I have been following the yellow 914 of an Albertson worker for the past year when I visited Grants Pass and since we have moved here. I have not made contact yet but will. We shop at the same Albertsons.

For garages, it is a great joy to go from a two car one to a four car one. I did all my work outside during the spring, summer, and early fall months; rest of the year three cars were stored in Flagstaff which allowed on to climb over the cars thus nothing got done for at least four months out of the year. With four car garage in Grants Pass, I can have my work and computer area in the garage and still store five cars inside.
Only need to add the hoist.

Thanks everyone,

Steve
Andyrew
Glad to hear your doing well Steve! Let me know if you can stop by on one of your trips up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.