Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Hyfire VI CDI worth the extra money???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Ordered a brand new Mallory Unilite dizzy yesterday.....it can be used with or without a CDI box....I have a brand new Accel SuperCoil I can use right now, but I was not too sure if the CDI box was worth the extra money or not.
they start at $120 and go up from there depending on what options you want with it.....
machina
VI-AL

easier starting, better idle, rev limiter with dip switches, doesn't need pills.

looks cool too smile.gif
Mueller
i love your install, looks very, very clean....why inside the cabin??

worried about heat or ???

also, do you have to run mechanical points or was that by choice???
Porsche Rescue
I have the exact same question. Can't see the pic Mike is referring to.

Mike, does your coil have the 3ohm resistor? Air Cooled says that is critical or you burn up the distributor. Not sure if my Bosch blue is correct or not. I guess I just have to measure the resistance.

Is there a better (read cheaper) source than aircooled.net?
machina
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2004, 12:05 PM)
also, do you[ have to run mechanical points or was that by choice???

If I have mechanical points then that is news to me. Where are they?

And yes, keeps the unit out ot the motor bay. Glad I did with all the oil that I have barfed out the motor (overfilled).

Also, I wanted to keep as much out of the bay for easy access to the motor.
Aaron Cox
im in the same boat with all you guys....

Vac or no Vac advacnce dizzy (mallory
6a or 6al box (dont realll need a rev limiter for an extra 40 bucks
and the mallory square CDI coil
Mueller
If I have mechanical points then that is news to me. Where are they?

my bad....I thought I read on STF that you had the "points" type dizzy......must have been someone else smile.gif

Jim....picture of his install was on shoptalkforums....
I have not measured the coil, when I called aircooled.net yesterday he asked what coil I had and didn't say not to run it....it does have an external resistor, I just need to measure it....

aaron....no Vac, Jake and Brad agree on this...I like the idea of the rev limiter, worth the few extra bucks to me
machina
I don't have alot of experience but the rig Jake suggested works great.

Starts first crank always, and he likes the plain old blue coil and the mechanical advance.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2004, 10:27 AM)
aaron....no Vac, Jake and Brad agree on this...I like the idea of the rev limiter, worth the few extra bucks to me

Mxmark has a flawless vac unit install... says it helps mileage etc.
hmmm, non vac is cheaper biggrin.gif but why do i need a rev limiter again? cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
WHoa!!! why ae you running the blue coil? mallor makes one designed for their CDI's , joseph22 has that one (square finned mallory coil)
machina
Also, you may have to bang the tin or cut it to fit the VAC advance unit. This dizzy is big even without the VAC can.
machina
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2004, 12:31 PM)
WHoa!!! why ae you running the blue coil? mallor makes one designed for their CDI's , joseph22 has that one (square finned mallory coil)

Like I said, this setup was recommended and it works fantastic.

I think the big fancy coils are a waste of money for a TIV. Maybe you need it on a big V8.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Dec 7 2004, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2004, 12:31 PM)

Like I said, this setup was recommended and it works fantastic.

I think the big fancy coils are a waste of money for a TIV. Maybe you need it on a big V8.

hmmm, i would think that a CDI specific coil would help.....
wonder if you could feel the difference over a blue coil
machina
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2004, 12:36 PM)
wonder if you could feel the difference over a blue coil

I doubt it, you have to hang on pretty tight as it is right now. driving.gif
spunone
Thread theft ! Synthesisdv did you get the oil cooling prob worked out ?? smash.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 7 2004, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2004, 10:27 AM)

Mxmark has a flawless vac unit install... says it helps mileage etc.
hmmm, non vac is cheaper biggrin.gif but why do i need a rev limiter again? cool_shades.gif

the Vac units do work, but for the sake of keeping things a littler simpler and less likely to fail, the mechanical unit is my choice.....

you don't "have" to run their coil, I think it just makes it easier and nicer for those that want to run everything from the same company

rev limiter is to help you (and the motor) for those times that you might be a little too busy with other things (such as driving and staying on course) so that you have better chance of not over-reving the engine...they are also nice if you had a new motor or let someone else drive the car and do not want it to go past xxxx rpm...it's easy to peg the tach when caught up in the "heat of battle"...even on the auto-x course MDB2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.