Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tough paint for race car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Whats the toughest paint that can be bought at reasonable price for a car to be painted in California? Im just going white and will be painting both interior and exterior. Im less worried about perfect paint job and more concerned about finish holding up, resisting chips etc. Likely will wrap car but still want something tough.
Matt Romanowski
Don't know if you can get it in the people's republic, but Dupont Imron is incredibly durable.
Van914
Get Tractor Paint, not very expensive and easy to touch up.
Tractor Supply is a good place to start
Good Luck
Van914
Trekkor
Rustoleum in the qt cans are about $10 each.

Easy to spray.

I think there may be 2 part epoxy paint available if you shop around, as well.

KT
bulitt
QUOTE(Van914 @ Aug 5 2013, 06:31 PM) *

Get Tractor Paint, not very expensive and easy to touch up.
Tractor Supply is a good place to start
Good Luck
Van914

Think that stuff is a single part enamel ?
Don't know how resistant to solvents? Gasoline?
john rogers
To minimize stone damage from the wheels glue some wet suit rubber material to the underside of the fenders. This will prevent those "stars" that show up if you use any kind of soft racing tires. For the front lid, headlights, fronts of GT fenders (if so equipped) there is no paint that will not chip. All it takes is following one other race car closely and you are sunk. So I would suggest a cheap spray can paint job and cover with vinyl wrap. You can buy 48 inch wide white, whole roll and do the car and redo when necessary.
jeff
PPG essential is a fleet series and is a good product..Rattle can seem cheap but most of what comes out of the can is propellant and not paint and in the end it's just not as tough....
r_towle
Tinted bed liner
grantsfo
Thanks John! Yes will be wrapping the car. I'm just wanting something that is tough for non wrapped sections of interior, cage, etc.
bulitt
Certainly the Dupont Imron is a very tough paint. We painted the Railroad locomotives with it. Lasts for decades and millions of miles.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 7 2013, 07:20 AM) *

Certainly the Dupont Imron is a very tough paint. We painted the Railroad locomotives with it. Lasts for decades and millions of miles.

agree.gif

I used imron 333 for Moto wheels in the past. It has a flex agent in it and is xtremely durable and keeps a nice shine if you want gloss. Not to hateful of price when the area is small.

Thomas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.