Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy 914 visor replacement idea...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Was talking to Jim over at EASY about how good visors are one of the most sought-after gems in wrecked 914s. Mine are nice, but now that I'm driving the car regularly and letting it sit in the sun they're starting to get a little spongy...

Would a cheap (and VERY trick) alternative be a pair of tinted (dark smoke) clear plastic visors -- like factory racers used in 356 GTs back in the 1950s? I'm sure there would be takers at, say, $100?

Anyone can "steal" this idea, just be sure to hook me up on the first pair...

biggrin.gif

pete
seanery
Pete,
there is a guy who sells just that on ebay fairly regularly.
Jenny
I thought there were some on the bay awhile back. I could be mistaken. I'm sure others will feel free to chime in. rolleyes.gif

Jen
East coaster
The evil-bay visors I saw were clear lexan, which I could never figure out confused24.gif

Seems like they should at least be smoked... smoke.gif so to speak.
Mueller
I don't like the idea...something about having a piece of plastic just inches aways from my face that could cause irrepairable damage frightens me unsure.gif

one could still get jacked up by the factory units, but they will still "give" before cutting your nose off your face.. wacko.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2004, 09:03 AM)
I don't like the idea...something about having a piece of plastic just inches aways from my face that could cause irrepairable damage frightens me unsure.gif

one could still get jacked up by the factory units, but they will still "give" before cutting your nose off your face.. wacko.gif

When I first opened the shop, and started seeing what unique 914 parts that were needed, I looked into making reproduction sunvisors.

I dropped the idea after I found the tooling to make a accurate set of visors would be between $3000-$4500, and that the original plastic isn't available. There's one that has the right grain, but not is way too shiney. From my experience, most 914'ers want a new reproduction part to be a perfect exact duplicate of the factory part, BUT want the price to be the same as a used part. I figured that I'd have to get $150-$200 a set, and that would have the same result as a fart in a space suit.

The reason the 914 has a thin wire frame is for the same reason you don't want a piece of lexan so close to your head. The OEM visors easily deform upon impact, whereas the lexan will easily peel off the skin from your face ohmy.gif Or worse ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
bondo
What about adapting the visors from another vehicle, for those of use who don't care about originality? The thing that has always bugged me about 914 visors is they don't pivot to the side window as they do in most cars. I realize you'd have to duck to move them over, but you have to duck in alot of cars (like my mustang). It seems like there must be visors from another car of the same era that do pivot and would look pretty much right. Has this ever been done?
Jenny
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2004, 09:03 AM)

That's what your helmet is for. laugh.gif

I don't have to worry. My visor doesn't do a thing for me, unless I happen to be sitting on a stack of phone books. I just use these things... cool_shades.gif

Jen
STL914
I thought there was a thread here last year about a company that could make reproduction visors for any type of car, including the 914. Price was about $68/pair if I'm not mistaken. You send them a set of visor frames and they build new visors around them.

I'll need to check my lap top at home and see if Ican find the
e-mail I received from them with the price quote. I think I also bookmarked their web site.
seanery
I remember that thread.
Seemed like a good deal.
STL914
Found it:

http://www.autosunvisors.com/
Qarl
Those visors are nice, but a bit different then the stock visors. They use vinyl that is stitched and folded (much like American cans from the 60's early 70's).

Also, no map pocket and just a mirror with no flap to cover.

This IS a good deal for getting new visors if you don't care about concourse stuff.

That said... I REALLY TRIED... to find a source to duplicate the visors in China or Taiwan. I was just doing google searches and had no success. I kept coming up with the folding sun reflectors that you put on top of your dashboard to keep the heat out.

It think your best source is for someone to find a company in Taiwan to dupe the visors. They could duplicate neary anything. Heck many of the parts AA sells that copies of OEM parts (turn signal switches, seals, etc.). They have them made overseas.
horizontally-opposed
Hear you on the crash safety issues and did think about that, but if the visors were made "shorter" would they still work for most of us and be far enough away from our foreheads?

Just sat in my car and what if they were made as low-profile units? Where the stock ones curve down from the center posts, just make that the bottom all the way across? So they'd be about half as tall, which for many drivers would be more than enough. The only way I can use my stock visors is to push them all the way forward and up under the windshield frame to touch the windshield itself. That leaves a gap that the sun still comes through above the visor...

Maybe make really short Lexan visors, then put a slightly bent lip on the leading edge to help a fore head go under them? Then sell them for "use with a helmet only" to prevent any legal issues? I dunno, but while I am ALL for safety (and I cannot emphasize this enough), I could probably pick a better car for a crash than a 914.

A chilling thought, that...

pete

BTW, my visors DO pivot to double as side visors. Found a black anodized aluminum kit at EASY years ago and they thought it was an old Automotion kit. VERY COOL!
horizontally-opposed
OR, could someone figure out a way to gut our stock visors in good shape along the edge that we don't see and put something inside that would be safe in an accident but less like to get, uh, crunchy and spongy?

pete
AZ914
Also, no map pocket and just a mirror with no flap to cover.

There is supposed to be a flap???
Jenny
Or... or...!!!! You can tint across the top of your windshield and put sunglasses on your teener. Some don't like the look, but it works.

Jen
ws91420
Tinting the upper windshield is fine if your state allows it.
STL914
Here's the simple answer to the sun visor issue:
GWN7
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Dec 7 2004, 04:33 PM)
Tinting the upper windshield is fine if your state allows it.

Yep, I have several Roadglue banners that I can't use.

Thinking of putting them on the big windows at the farm.
jim_hoyland
I've done two things:

1. Took the visors to an expert upholsterer and had them recovered once...

2. Keep looking on evil-bay; came acroos a pair in mint condition for $50 and the seller lived less than two miles away...They pop up pretty regularly
markb
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 7 2004, 12:56 PM)
OR, could someone figure out a way to gut our stock visors in good shape along the edge that we don't see and put something inside that would be safe in an accident but less like to get, uh, crunchy and spongy?

pete

I put carpet padding in mine & they work great. I still haven't found something to seal up the back the way I want, but double sided tape does the job for now.
neo914-6
Here's the simple answer to the sun visor issue:

Attached image:

But that's more sharp plastic near your face! laugh.gif

Seriously, plastic will deform with the heat. There are aftermarket shades you suction cup on side windows to provide shade for children. You make something similar with with flexible wire and a fabric.

Felix
Trekkor
I use my solid black window banner with the "www.willstile.com" on it.

Total sunblock...I love it. I drive it to my estimates.

KT
Mueller
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 7 2004, 10:02 PM)
I use my solid black window banner with the "www.willstile.com" on it.

Total sunblock...I love it. I drive it to my estimates.

KT

don't know if it's good or bad to show up to a prospective clients house driving a Porsche smile.gif
Trekkor
I just tell 'em it's a VW wink.gif

KT
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 7 2004, 08:53 AM)
Would a cheap (and VERY trick) alternative be a pair of tinted (dark smoke) clear plastic visors -- like factory racers used in 356 GTs back in the 1950s? I'm sure there would be takers at, say, $100?...

$100!?! Hell no, that's way too much!
DJsRepS
Like other things duct taped on my car, rust holes, trim, lack of cash, I had to even duct tape my SunVisor. It had a hole in it no big deal right well howbout crusing around 80 and the wind blows some of the 32yr old dried padding into your eye. Its worse than sand in your eye............My thought for my visor's (other than tape) was the harley leather crafters. Double sided, stiched, black, and embossed with harley eagles.
horizontally-opposed
My windshield is tinted at the top, yes I have sunglasses, and I no don't like windshield strips that block out the top of the windshied "permanently" -- at least not in a street car...

My idea was something DIFFERENT than stock visors, more along the lines of what Porsche did for its own competition 356s... you could see through the visors but still get the benefit of them -- esp for tall drivers.

In our case, it might be a slick R Gruppe touch for relatively little $$.... But FORGET it, as it appears no one else is interested! bootyshake.gif

pete
anthony
What about adapting the visors from another vehicle, for those of use who don't care about originality? The thing that has always bugged me about 914 visors is they don't pivot to the side window as they do in most cars. I realize you'd have to duck to move them over,

As I was sitting in my friend's 1997 Miata I was thinking that the Miata visors would be a pretty darn good retrofit.
Dr Evil
Take some pics Anthony
jim_hoyland
Here's some of those original visors currently o evil-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=10076
joea9146
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 8 2004, 04:25 PM)
Take some pics Anthony

Here are some Miata VisorsEbay Miata Visors
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 9 2004, 02:33 PM)
Here's some of those original visors currently o evil-bay:

"No holes, tearing or rips" Except for the the mirror flap that's entirely gone!

Joe, I could watch your avitar for hours laugh.gif
jim_hoyland
I bought my pair from the same seller; he's reliable.
anthony
Take some pics Anthony

I probably won't see my friend Miata for another few months. Maybe someone here also has a Miata and can do a test fit? The nice thing about the Miata visors is that they can swing to the side.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 9 2004, 03:57 PM)
Joe, I could watch your avitar for hours laugh.gif

DON'T! It makes trying to read just about impossible...er, uhm...so I've heard wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.