Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: it can be you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Hi folks. I tend to be preachy, and there is a reason. Last night my son didn't notice that his rod was actually melting away in the tig torch. About 3 quarter inch of molten aluminum fell into his shoe at the ankle. This caused A 3rd DEGREE BURN!! When I saw a quarter sized part that looked like roast chicken I felt sick, kept my mouth shut and bundled him to the ER. It all happened fast and would have been worse except we ALWAYS have water around the welding. I was throwing water at him by the time he was getting his shoe pulled off. That limited the damage. Now he has to work on pulling dead flesh off as the new scar forms. Take strong pain killer, follow by shower, follow by wound treatment.
So take dare with everything, and keep body, soul and 914 together. bye1.gif
Porsche930dude
that slag can be nasty. expecially the whizzers that jump around on the floor or in your shoe. I dont have many socks without holes across the top from slag falling in the shoes.
rick 918-S
Sorry to read about that accident. Safety shoes may not even help sometimes.

I can't stress safety enough. Proper head covering, proper eye protection, and cover your freakin chest, arms and hands. I shake my head when I see these reality TV guys bare armed, bare handed with no eye protection tacking and welding. Melanoma is no joke.

I had a good friend that lost a brother because he was tacking mining equipment consistently with no protection. A small burn on one finger never healed. By the time he was diagnosed it was too late. Lost a hand, then a forearm, then the shoulder, then his life.

Just because you don't weld for a living doesn't mean you shouldn't get the proper gear for your hobby. Just like the motorcycle hobby. $ 10.00 helmet, $ 10.00 head.
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif My old ass has been saved by safety equipment over the years so many times, I am an absolute believer.
jmill
BTDT. I was welding up an exhaust when molten slag dropped into my boot at the ankle. I can tell you, you can't get your boot/shoe off fast enough. I feel for him. I taped my pant legs over the boot after that.

I was wearing leather boots because I learned the hard way that molten slag burns right through the top of tennis shoes.
r_towle
so what your saying is that my normal summer welding outfit of flip flops and shorts may not be adequate protection?

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2013, 10:34 PM) *

so what your saying is that my normal summer welding outfit of flip flops and shorts may not be adequate protection?

In SoCal & Hawaii yes, rest of states no. biggrin.gif I took a 12 week (Saturdays only for 5hrs a day) welding class 6yrs ago. I learned the hard way what happens when you don't tuck your welding jacket sleeve into your welding glove. slap.gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Aug 5 2013, 11:50 PM) *

I learned the hard way what happens when you don't tuck your welding jacket sleeve into your welding glove. slap.gif

Some things get burned into your memory. beer.gif
VaccaRabite
Yeah. Burned a few holes into my old Converse sneakers when i was welding more. Started wearing boots. Then a long time went by with me not welding and I forgot. Then I burned another few holes in my sneakers...

Amusingly, since I got the kick ass Alien welding jacked from Rick, I have only used my welder once. I have a ton of projects to weld, but little motivation.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.