Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gimme a Brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
About to embark this project. Any suggestions before I get started? any tricks/tips to keep in mind?
I'm about halfway installing the BMW 320i calipers (ran out of time last night after completing left side). Would love to have this done before the weekend... but I want to know what to expect, before I actually get started.

Thanks,

Carlos
Mueller
learn some new cuss words smile.gif

replacing the hoses on top of the mc is "the" worst job ever on a 914.....if you can, loosen the res. and pull the hoses down a few inches, that'll help get the hoses into the rubber seals on top of the mc
jr91472
If you have any reason to remove the pedal assy, now is the time. It is really difficult to remove with the m/c in place, but easy with it out.

enjoy beer.gif
Jeffs9146
replacing the hoses on top of the mc is "the" worst job ever on a 914.....

I still have pain in my knuckels!!! agree.gif

Jeff
Joe Bob
Bench prime it if you can....bleed, then bleed, then bleed it again....have plenty of fluid.
Carlitos Way
Second allusion to hoses... should these be replaced??? should I have ordered them from Pelican?
Eric_Shea
agree.gif worst job ever. You'll find muscles in your neck (from holding your head up under your car for 2 hours straight) that you didn't know existed.

Hoses would be a great idea at this time. Oh... rear rubber hoses are the 2nd worse 914 job ever. smash.gif

Have fun biggrin.gif
datapace
NLA from Pelican. If yours in really bad shape you should replace them otherwise just clean them up a little bit. The fluid in them is not under pressure, just gravity fed.

I've found the easiest way to get the hoses in is to do it on a workbench and THEN fit the mc in the car. You may have to attempt this several times as they take weird bends to contour to the chassis.

I didn't even curse once! Well, maybe just once happy11.gif

-bryan
Eric_Shea
Read through a bit more. Carlos, the hoses they're referring to are the hoses from the fluid reservour (sic) to the MC. You shouldn't need new hoses there but you may need new grommets.
Carlitos Way
Thanks for the heads-up, Eric. I think .. er, I checked and my new MC has the grommets... but I'll be darned if I know how to attach those hoses... Is it easier to remove those hoses from the reservoir altogether and reinstall them from the bottom once they're attached to the new MC?
Carlitos Way
As the saga continues, I've made some progress today. I also found out that the MC didn't seem to be as big of a PITA as I thought it would be.... although I kinda had to do it again, since I didn't make sure the rod was in the right place the first time around.

Grommets and lines proved a little bit of a challenge, but they were in within 15 minutes. I put the grommets into the lines and then attached them to the MC as recommended by someone.

I also found an easy way to replace the rear lines that were leaking.

To make a long story short, I used a utility knife to cut the line close to the upper fitting. Then, I secured the top nut using an 11mm (actually 7/16) brake wrench.

Finally, using a long 17mm socket and a breaker bar, I turned the breaker bar and voila.... brake line broke free. Total time to replace both lines, less than 15 minutes.

Thanks to all who made suggestions and contributions. But now, a new challenge... while trying to bleed the brakes I snapped off one of the speed bleeders in half. ANy suggestions on how to remove it "easily"?

Thanks,

Carlos
mattillac
two words:

vice grips.
Carlitos Way
QUOTE (mattillac @ Dec 24 2004, 07:51 PM)
two words:

vice grips.

I tried the easy vice grip solution... but the break is almost at the surface, less than 1/16" so can't really grab... Gonna try again tomorrow.
lagunero
use a "screw out" (I got one at Sears in the tap and die section) hammer it in and then turn with a wrench. Works great. I just did this two days ago.
Carlitos Way
Tried it... broke the tip inside the damn bleeder... I'll deal with it another time. GRRRR The never-ending gremlins... I was beginning to think I would make it to the New Year's hangover rally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.