Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
I just got a front suspension off of a 76 911 that was being parted out. he told me it had a stock front end and what with just taking it off the car I didn't check the calipers closely... not that I would have been able to tell what they were anyway. blink.gif.. the guy I bought them from was not the builder of the car, he just bought it at an insurance sale for some parts he needed for his 911 and was selling off the rest.
So I get them home and while cleaning everything up I decide to measure the bolt spacing and it is 3 1/2 ... I thought the 76 had the 3 in calipers. but with everything else that was changed / upgraded on this car I am not surprised.

So any of you brake gurus out there have an idea of what these calipers are?
Whatever they are I guess its what I will be using....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Vysoc
I think those are the "M" which would have been from 74 well into the SC's.
My 1980 911 SC had the same calipers, if they are not the "M" they are probably the "A".

I am sure Eric will weigh in and then we will all know.

FWIW.

Vysoc flag.gif
toolguy
M calipers are from 914-6 and 911T with 3 inch spacing. A calipers are 3.5. . the pad area for an M caliper is just about the same as a 914-4, but you gain vented rotors.

corrected. . thanks. .
Dave_Darling
I think you have M and A reversed, there, toolguy.

There's no crossover; I remember S calipers having a crossover tube. (Or two?)

They look like steel. If a magnet sticks, they are. And that would mean they're A calipers.

--DD
Olympic 914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 7 2013, 05:45 PM) *
the pad area for an A caliper is just about the same as a 914-4, but you gain vented rotors.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 7 2013, 06:17 PM) *

They look like steel. If a magnet sticks, they are. And that would mean they're A calipers.

--DD

They are steel, the rotors are 20mm and the pads are much larger than my stock 914-4 calipers have.
They resemble this pic I took from a thread that Eric of PMB posted and showed as being A calipers,

IPB Image

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

I also have the Boge struts, and after more research I am also leaning towards them being the A calipers, which are heavier but I guess they will do.....

r_towle
They are the small yellow ones
chad newton
They are a. I had to change my post. A's are steel 3.5.
Eric_Shea
Big heavy A-Calipers. The heaviest caliper Porsche ever put on a 911. Basic sedan caliper of the day. To be found on Mercedes, BMW, Alfa, Ferrari and Porsches.

Early A-Calipers had three fluid inlets cast into the back half. Only the bottom one was tapped.

That's a much later suspension though. Notice the pad sensor tabs mounted to the strut tube.
914Sixer
Eric, nailed it as usual!
pray.gif pray.gif

The quick spot on those A calipers is where the hard line comes in.
pdlightning
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 8 2013, 07:14 PM) *

Eric, nailed it as usual!
pray.gif pray.gif

The quick spot on those A calipers is where the hard line comes in.

Eric also nailed it when I got my rear V calipers from him. They are beautiful. Thanks Eric ,again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.