Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil sender unit leaking oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi everyone, my oil sender unit leak a few oil whenever I drive it, only a few oil in one spot in my garage floor each time I use my teen. I even checked dip stick oil every drive but it seems no change in oil level.

Should I be concern now? I only drive the car less than 1k miles every 2 to 3 mos.

Thank you again for your help. God bless!
monkeyboy
It shoudn't be a big deal as long as you don't run low on oil.

Next time you change the oil, replace the gasket and try to seal it up.
TheCabinetmaker
Oil temp or oil pressure? I would not let either go. I don't like oil on my engine or garage floor. Letting a leak go when its so easy to fix is just laziness. Oil leaks start small and get bigger.
ndfrigi
Thanks for the responses!
Well I just finish installing ss fuel lines for tunnel and engine compartment and also did replace most of the fuel lines hose. Removed AC compressor and bracket. So 1st thing to make sure it runs. I ended up removing fuel tank 3x because one of the fuel hose is bending when the tank is in placed.

In regards to oil temp sender. It seems that the engine tin is blocking the sender unit that will not allow me insert a socket to remove it.

Any idea?

TheCabinetmaker
There is no tin around the oil temp sender. Its held to the bottom of the case by two bolts
ndfrigi
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2013, 05:50 PM) *

There is no tin around the oil temp sender. Its held to the bottom of the case by two bolts

So am I giving the wrong part name?
It is just below the rotor with a small hole in the tin with a small sending unit. Is that not the oil temp sending unit? Thanks again!
r_towle
Oil pressure sender.

There is a rubber gasket to cover it, or there should be for air flow.

Otherwise, a socket does fit, but I think it needs to be a thin walled socket to get it on there
r_towle
Oh,

Just a note.
In my experience, the pressure sender leaks because its broken.
So once that crack gets bigger, you could be squirting out all you oil.

Is a cheap enough part, just replace it.

Rich
ndfrigi
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 7 2013, 06:30 PM) *

Oh,

Just a note.
In my experience, the pressure sender leaks because its broken.
So once that crack gets bigger, you could be squirting out all you oil.

Is a cheap enough part, just replace it.

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for your help too! And yes it is oil pressure sending unit. I will just replace it as soon as possible and do you think there should be a rubber cover to it along the tin?

Noel
ndfrigi
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 7 2013, 05:50 PM) *

My mistake sir! It is for oil pressure. Thanks!
euro911
Yeah, that little rubber piece that goes in the tin is $6. at West Coast Metric. All the other suppliers want $12~$15 for one sad.gif

VW Part #: 021-957
OIL PRESSURE BOOT
BUS 72-79, VANAGON 80-83

Click here

ndfrigi
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 8 2013, 01:12 AM) *

Yeah, that little rubber piece that goes in the tin is $6. at West Coast Metric. All the other suppliers want $12~$15 for one sad.gif

VW Part #: 021-957
OIL PRESSURE BOOT
BUS 72-79, VANAGON 80-83

Click here

Hi again mark! Thanks for the info and God bless!
McMark
You need a deep 24mm socket to do the swap.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 8 2013, 12:06 PM) *

You need a deep 24mm socket to do the swap.

Thanks I will do that! Just need to order the part then I replace it.
TheCabinetmaker
When you install the new one, don't use Teflon tape.
Its a tapered thread and will seal itself. The tape can inhibit
the ground causing it not to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.