Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach bouncing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Tach just started bouncing 2 days ago. Happens when engine is cold, once warm, bouncing goes away. Last night the gas gauge got in on the act. What gives?

And please remember I'm an electrical dunce.
MoveQik
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2013, 06:29 AM) *

Tach just started bouncing 2 days ago. Happens when engine is cold, once warm, bouncing goes away. Last night the gas gauge got in on the act. What gives?

Mine did that but a new cable solved the problem. Nothing electrical. Not sure about the fuel guage....
JStroud
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 8 2013, 06:31 AM) *

Mine did that but a new cable solved the problem. Nothing electrical. Not sure about the fuel guage....

I think your thinking of the speedo, no cable to the tach, all electric.
As for the problem....don't know, not that good with electrical problem either.

Jeff
eyesright
I posted a few days ago that when my 914 tach jumped while driving constant speed I replaced the plug wires, cap and rotor...still jumped. Replaced and set the points and condensor and it was fixed. So the points were leaking somewhere. It can also be from leaky wires and/or cap I think.

The problem addressed a few days ago had to do with a bouncy tach on shifting, but steady when driving.
MoveQik
QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 8 2013, 06:49 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 8 2013, 06:31 AM) *

I think your thinking of the speedo, no cable to the tach, all electric.
As for the problem....don't know, not that good with electrical problem either.

Jeff

Crap! See what happens when I attempt to contribute to something mechanical?? Back to the Sandbox I go... sad.gif
eyesright
QUOTE(eyesright @ Aug 8 2013, 06:58 AM) *

I posted a few days ago that when my 914 tach jumped while driving constant speed I replaced the plug wires, cap and rotor...still jumped. Replaced and set the points and condensor and it was fixed. So the points were leaking somewhere. It can also be from leaky wires and/or cap I think.

The problem addressed a few days ago had to do with a bouncy tach on shifting, but steady when driving.

And the gas gauge could be a bad ground somewhere...its the "somewhere" that is intimidating. Start by just wiggling the connection to the gas tank, under the gas tank overflow and cannister.

When I bought my '76 the gas gauge was inop. The connection was loose under the overflow. Quick fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.