Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Conversions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
Since I'm finishing my conversion, I was wondering how many other members are also doing it at the same time.
What size & configuration are you doing?
Mine is a 2.5 liter, twin plug.
T.C.
mack914
2.2T -- Front end has had an '83SC complete suspension installed, five lug conversion on the back.
Series9
I'm looking forward to seeing this list. It seems like there are quite a few sixes going into 914s.

I'm finishing a full build, but it included a six conversion.

3.6 993 Euro.
SLITS
Maybe..............dead stock 2.0 w/ sideshifter
Mike D.
Well, I was almost done, car was running and only needed cosmetics but now the engine is out again. (different thread) So guess you could say I'm still in the process. smile.gif

'74 - 2.2 E - Five lug conversion, early fronts, looking for SC front end...

-Mike D
Brando
I'd like to do an SC 6cyl conversion...

on a VW Bus biggrin.gif barf.gif
Brad Roberts
I need to finish up a 3.0 install (with 3.2 injection) I will probably bring it over to the big shop later this week. I'll post pics. Most everything is done.. just need to plug it in.

B
Trekkor
I am ohmy.gif

2.0 '67 911 SIX. 130hp ( I think confused24.gif )

a/x car with built suspension.

KT
Kerrys914
I am doing a small six conversion with a 2.2. I hope to have the car ready for Hershey in April aktion035.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

I have just about everything, that I can think of wacko.gif wacko.gif I need.

Things still needed, anyone;
- Still need to fab my oil lines once I get things ready for the test fit.
- Need a muffler
- Need a tach or tips on converting my -4 to a -6
- Fuel pump for my Webers
- Maybe some carb tuning bits?

Cheers
Dr Evil
I am! (there but before the grace of Red-beard go I).

2.7L out of a 74. SC cams, CIS, 8.5:1 CR, should put out 165-175hp.
It is being put together by Motorworks of San Diego because I ran out of time and they are experienced and inexpensive.

Still have to install the oil tank, and everything.

Kerry, I have a 911 muffler from the '74 that I believe will work for you. PM me if you are interested (I'll make you a deal).
Joe Bob
Hmmm, did a 3.0 conversion seven years back.......a 3.6 conversion in an ass dragger three years agao....and just completed a 2.0 S motor conversion on a 914 vintage racer and a 2.2 in in a 356......

The one that is the most fun so far...is the 356....tons of grins on my side....lot of head shaking from the other side.... finger.gif
East coaster
I'm doing a 3.6 (964) with stock injection and 915 tranny in a nice '74 tub (silver) that I'm welding GT flares on right now. Hoping for spring/summer completion.
914Timo
I am there too. Started four years ago. Now have driven three summers with 3.0L six, but there is always something to do.

Next projects are 7X16 Fuchs, 3,2 intake and EFI, 966 brakes, new interior, maybe 915 gearbox, bigger sway bars, some new wires, new......... wink.gif
hars914
Finished up my conversion last week. Developed a little problem and have to drop
the engine.It is a 2.0E motor. It started up fine but no oil temp reading on the gauge.
Tried to remove sensor but it hits the motor mount. Also have to fix a small oil leak.
ClayPerrine
My 914 started life as a 73 2.0 Delphi Green Metallic car.

2.4 MFI engine. 2.2 Pistons and cylinders, 906 cams, carerra tensioners. Dyno sheet says 245hp at 6500 RPM. Rich Johnson Motor mount, steel engine tin with custom made cover for the MFI belt. Factory 914/6 oil tank and lines. Factory 914/6 oil cooler. Custom AC compressor mount, 71 911 S transmission with the pull type clutch, modified to use 914 side shift parts. Guard transmission torque biasing differental. Factory 914/6 throttle linkage and bellcrank assembly. 944 turbo axles. GT flares with custom steel rockers and valences. 944 turbo front and rear calipers with carerra rotors. Custom made rear caliper mounts to install the 944 turbo calipers and also install Wilwood spot calipers for a park brake. Reduced ratio steering rack, only 2 turns lock to lock. Koni Red adjustable shocks, Delrin bushings, and delrin upper strut mount. Modified 914/6 dash. modified 68 912 steering column. Koenig Seats. Getty design dash with electronic speedo. Complete customized wiring harness to accomodate all the electrical changes (but I am pissed about this because I forgot to run the AC wiring when I built it). JWest fuse box. 914/6 relay board. 16x7 front and 16x8 rear 944 offset Fuchs. Stainless steel fuel lines. Factory 914/6 engine lid torsion bars. Factory Porsche Boxster AM/FM/Cd player. Custom built AC unit to replace the fresh air blower, run from the factory fresh air controls in the dash. Factory GT chassis stiffining kit. Brad Mayuer long stiffining kit. Complete repaing of everything on the car to Bahia Red, including underneath and inside. Factory 914/6 hand throttle linkage. Factory 914/6 heat exchangers with Bursche 911 muffler.

Hell.. after documenting this, now I understand why it's taking so long to put back together.........
Root_Werks
Converted a 73' 1.7 to a 2.2T just in September of this year. Poped on flares and the suspension from the same car. This is my 5th or 6th 914-6 conversion now. Some of you know I make a few parts for converting 914's to 914-6's, so if anyone needs any help. Let me know.

Hey Kerry, I also have a 74' muffler. But I think Mr. Evil is closer so shipping would be less. The 74' tail pipe hangs a little lower, but works fine. wink.gif The ideal 914-6 muffler is the pre 73'.
jim912928
Clay...I want to see pictures of that car!
ClayPerrine
Guess I should really break down and update my web site.

Home page.

That has the pictures from when it came out of the body shop. I have done a lot since then. You can see the picts of the fuel line install in the how to pages, and the AC and front suspension are buried in the threads here.

I really need to update my web page...... idea.gif
brant
this is going to be a long list... I mean, Its amazing how many conversions are going on...

I'm doing a 1967/S 2.0 into a race car.
Hope to have it in the april opening event.

I'm also kinda collecting parts to do a 2nd one in the fall on a street car.

brant
seanery
I've got a 74 that now has a 2.7 RS motor in it, 944 turbo front brakes, boxster rears, 16x6s on it now, but it's getting glass everything and will wear 16x8 and 16x10 fuchs, lots of other goodies.

I also have a 72 that has a broken 2.0 in it. I'll fix the 2.0 then build up a small stroke 6 for it. I've got a 2.2T motor in the garage for it. I'm thinking about making it a 2.5 or something wicked fun like that.
Ferg
My conversion is under the knife to do a motor swap and upgrade, it should have a 3.0 or 3.2 in it by spring. The 2.7 that was in it was tired.
Ferg.
Nick
I’m working on a 3.0 SC with 964 cams and CIS conversion with Ed Villela. I coerced Ed for about 5 years to paint and flare my teener. You can see the results on his webs shots page. We were hoping it would be done by Summer now we are shooting for Christmas. Hopefully the engine will be done soon and we can start putting the car back togther.

Ed's Web Page

Nick
pete-stevers
workin towards a 3.0 in my 14, got a crashed sc for a donor car, upgraded the front suspension and brakes to sc with billy struts, and drilled 911 rotors, rears are vented as well, no ebrake as of yet... hoping to aquire the oil system parts, mounting hardware etc for a winter project starting next fall, Yup I got a big heater in the shop, and a beer fridge thats usually fully stocked....
My little brother just bought a dry belt teener for a project as well.... two in the family... Should be home from Santa Fe to-night smilie_pokal.gif
John
Currently converting one to a six in extra slow motion. Got the tub dipped and up on the roticorie, primed most of it and have been working on it in-between other projects. It will probably be completed in a few years...

I don't know what size the motor will be yet, but the car should be LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!
RON S.
I've been doing a 993/915 combo into my original Euro model 914/6 for what seems to be forever.
Motor/tranny is in.Major accomplishment there.
What's left
Muffler,leaning towards a Dansk 2in2out.550.00 from Vertex.
Oil plumbing from engine to oil bag & thermostat.
Gotta redo my fuel pump.The setup I did,leaked.No good there.I'm leaning to a Aeromotive A1000 from Jegs.280.00
Need a shifter,gonna do a J-West unit eventually.500.00
Not much,but now a group buy is going on for steel flares I'm gonna do.Probably take me most of the year to do those & re-paint the car.
But,it's all good,and fun doing it.

Ron
Eric_Shea
Why do I have to post after Ron? sad.gif

OK... here's the 914-6/GT Clone Project I'm working on. It's a fairly clean 1974 tub I got from Brad. Only needs hell holes at this time. Thanks Brad.

Body:

Factory Flares
Glass Hoods
Glass Bumpers
GT Lid
Fixed/Braced Roof
Hood pins
GT Badged in the rear
Factory stiffening kit

Suspension/Brakes/Tires:

Early 911 front with stock 19mm bars
76 Turbo 18mm Sway Bar up front
Stock Sway bar out back
140lb. Springs
Koni Struts
Koni Shocks
S-Calipers
Rear 911 M-Calipers
T-Fitting
911 Handbrake center mounted on the tunnel.
Boxed Control Arms
Vented Rotors all around
7 and 8x15" Fuchs

Engine/Tranny:

2.5 Liter
90mm Euro RS P&C rods bushed for extra compression (9.5:1)
Webers
S-Cams
Bursch headers
Factory Sport Exhaust
911/02 Tranny
914 R&P and nose cone
Rich Johnson Bulkhead mount

Interior:

Stripped
914 Seats made into GT seats (bolsters added and headrest cut off)
Radio Delete (with awesome RSR delete sticker in place)
Roll Bar
Engine access panel
Momo Mod7 Wheel
Rennshifter (soon)
GT Door panels
Felt covered the rest

Should be done sometime around 2016. unsure.gif

There... got that off my chest. Now I better get back in the garage or it'll never get done!
Van914
In Process of converting my 74. It will have a 2.2 and full suspension. It already has a cage and the frame stiffened. Tired of getting pulled down the straight at Driver's School.
Van914
beer.gif
dflesburg
Hoping to finish my car before the world runs out of gas....

Could use help if anyone has some time....
VintageExcellence
I am on Version 2 of my car, sold my 3.0 weber engine and now doing a 3.2 Euro Motronic engine.

Boxster calipers, moderatly built 901 transmission, carrera front end and all that other cool stuff.

The 3.0 went to a buddy who is also doing a conversion. That is 2 more 914-6 cars in San Diego.

Need to get a 914-6 drive together.
mike_the_man
I haven't started on a conversion, but I've been really thinking about it for the last little while. I'm starting to price out parts, and see what I would need. My biggest problem is finding a decent engine that is somewhat local.

The insanity never ends!
airsix
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Dec 14 2004, 12:07 PM)
Hoping to finish my car before the world runs out of gas....

Ha! That's exactly how I feel. I've been doing a slow-motion six conversion myself. It's going so slow that I turbo-charged the four-banger last fall to tide me over.

Over the past 3 years I've gathered everything except an oil tank & lines, and a front motor-mount (will probably make one). The only thing holding me back is the prospect of rebuilding the dead 2.7 I picked up. Maybe next year...

-Ben M.
carr914
My thread is back just in time to say that I Dyno'd the 2.5 liter motor today. 223 hp @ 6800 rpm and 185 ft/lbs of torque @ 3500 rpm.
T.C.
Maltese Falcon
The initial 6 conversion was completed in 1978-with a 2.7 CIS Kjet. It morphed into a 2.7 single turbo.Then dropped in a 3.0 sc CIS Kjet. Which morphed into a twin turbo with the wrong c/r chair.gif . In 1995, dropped in a 3.2 twin plug, twin turbo with lots of Aasco internal stuff...it's in an all steel GT body with 8 pt cage. Just finishing up the brake upgrade right now. But it will never be "Done".
ber914
T.C
What configuration (i.e bore ,stroke and c.r) is your 2.5? I am planning a future motor build to eventually replace my low c.r 2.5 (90m rs pistons on a 66mm crank)
that is currently about to go into the car. Would love to be able to get that sort of poewr out of it.

Robert
Marv's3.6six
In the process now, just started a 6 to 6 conversion a 3.2 to 3.6 upgrade. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
I just took delivery this week of a 95 euro (Canadian) 993 and are starting the tear down of all the stock stuff: smog pump, power steering, and the other superfluous BS on the engine.

Gonna do a Webcam 993RS cam (designed for hydralic lifters), match flow the injectors, big bore throttle body.....anyone done these things?

For those thinking about upgrading my 3.2 is for sale: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=18&t=25330
scotty b
I've been doing one in my head for about 3 years now. I actually have (friend is holding onto for me) a 3.0 euro engine with new pistons that I will be using in a silver gt flared car, maybe with red leather (dark red) interior and a 911 dash, wheels maybe the 5 spoke (thin 5 spoke) boxters?? drooley.gif One of these days........ sad.gif
lylegd
Me too. 2.7 liter 911S motor with CIS in a '75. Chassis is now home from the paint shop and slowly going back together. Some of the upgrades include SC front brakes, vented 914/6 rear brakes, Konis and front/rear sway bars, a cable shifter and a hydraulic clutch 911 gauges including an oil level sender/gauge. Rebuilt motor and tranny. There is still a lot of work to be done I'm four years into this project. When its done it will be a gift to our daughter.

Lyle (Fort Collins, CO)
Root_Werks
QUOTE (carr914 @ Feb 17 2005, 03:43 PM)
My thread is back just in time to say that I Dyno'd the 2.5 liter motor today. 223 hp @ 6800 rpm and 185 ft/lbs of torque @ 3500 rpm.
T.C.

drooley.gif driving.gif
DougC
I'm also doing a conversion to my '73... I'm lined up to get Ferg's "tired" engine soon, 2.7L w/CIS. If anyone is interested I have an original 914/6 oil tank (used) and original 914/6 flywheel (un-used,new) that I'll be adding to the classifieds or maybe ebaying next week. My car is tangerine with (fiberglass) GT flares and bumper/valance, oh - 916 rear bumper, a roll cage and 8X15 Fuchs all around. Can't wait to finish it and will ASAP!

Doug C
Ferg
Lyle, good to see you here! Can't wait to see your project sometime soon!

My 3.2 is at the shop, and i'm only waiting on kennedy to ship my clutch setup, then i'll be helping a real professional with the install, can't wait, my poor baby does not look right with her ass up in the air. sad.gif

Ferg

neo914-6
NARP six: 2.7 Audi twin-turbo 5 valve/cyl engine. biggrin.gif With mild mods it will produce 300hp...
carr914
BER914, I posted a thread yesterday with the engine specs, look under DYNO TIME. Hope it helps.
T.C.
klink
I look at the car in the garage and invision the conversion. I have collected most everything needed. I still need to come up with headers but that is about it. Oh, there are so many small things to come up with but really that is the fun part. It's a '73 and it will be an original '70 six conversion upgraded to a 2.2L T. I know alot of people feel that "IMOA" it is a waste of time to do a conversion with this small a motor. When I bought my '72 off the showroom floor there wasn't a whole lot of parts available to make it go fast. The thought of a six was out of the question. I built the motor as big as I could and it was awesome. It probably was faster than the six will be. I want the sound and the feel of the six. My guess is that I have a long wait for the finished project. Trying to iron out some real estate issues. I don't post often so I would just like to say thanks for all of you being out there on this forum, I lurk almost daily and you guys really make my day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.