Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB 914
Ok, since i'm simply making a few minor repairs on the engine i figured i'd replace that streched out clutch cable. can't seem to get the cable out of the pedal connection. do i need to take the cluster out? Isn't there someone who rebuilds the clusters on the board?

any tips on removing the cable and/or the cluster?
Mueller
NO....you do not have to remove the pedal cluster just for a new cable smile.gif

Martin Baker or Eric Shea had rebuilt clusters

tip:

tie a string to the end of the cable (inside the cabin) before you pull the cable out, this way you'll have a "guide" to help re-install the new cable
jim912928
after you get the pedal board off...it takes about 30 minutes to take out and put in the new clutch cable. Do as Mueller said and tie a string to the end of it before you pull it out. Then you can pull it back in. There is a little snap clip on the clutch cable end by where it connects to the pedal cluster. Pull that up and then you can remove the (clevis?) end. Pull the cable out...pull it back in, put on the clevis end and reconnect it. After a few hundred miles readjust the cable as it will stretch alittle.
HarveyH
Unless it's like my PO. ar15.gif Apparently the clevis split so someone brazed it back together, slightly misaligned. They then drove the clevis pin in. I had to unbolt the cluster, cut the cable just behind the fitting and take the assembly to the vice. Used a pin punch and several smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif with a 16 oz. hammer to drive the clevis pin out.

As an additional note, sometines when the fitting is swaged on to the end of the cable some of the metal will exrtude out beyond the diameter of the fitting. Make sure you grind this off to help prevent the fitting binding in the clutch cable tube.

beer.gif
Harvey
scotty914
i had a double let down when my terry cable broke the second time ( yes two of em ) i went to my parts car thinking i could just yank the cable out and i would have a spare clevis... but no the dapo used a bolt and a nylock nut. so between the rust, nylock, and small space it took an hour just to get the cable out headbang.gif

porsche designed the removal of the cable well when you take the small space into consideration.

and if the old cable is shot just slide back the outer sheath in the engine , cut the cable and tape it to the new one and pull it in
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.