Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN # verification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
sphillips
Newbie here, looking to purchase a 914.

I have found a 1974 that I may go look at this weekend. The VIN # that is listed on the sale ad has a 6th digit that is the letter "T", with a total of 10 characters. When I run a Carfax (is this the best source?), it tells me that I don't have enough characters, should be 17, though looking at VIN/model year history on the PelicanParts website, it appears that no VINs had more than 10 characters, and none appear to have a letter anywhere in the number. Any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(sphillips @ Aug 9 2013, 09:53 AM) *

I have found a 1974 that I may go look at this weekend. The VIN # that is listed on the sale ad has a 6th digit that is the letter "T", with a total of 10 characters. When I run a Carfax (is this the best source?), it tells me that I don't have enough characters, should be 17, though looking at VIN/model year history on the PelicanParts website, it appears that no VINs had more than 10 characters, and none appear to have a letter anywhere in the number. Any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Carfax doesn't go back that far, they can only go back as far as when vins were standardized in 1981. All 914's have 10 digit vins beginning with 47 for all 4 cylinder cars, no letters.
sphillips
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 9 2013, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(sphillips @ Aug 9 2013, 09:53 AM) *

Thanks,

Steve

Carfax doesn't go back that far, they can only go back as far as when vins were standardized in 1981. All 914's have 10 digit vins beginning with 47 for all 4 cylinder cars, no letters.

Thanks for that information, very helpful.

Steve
davep
Do a bit of research here:
http://www.914world.com/specs/914info.php
sphillips
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 9 2013, 09:41 AM) *

Thanks, thats very good info.

Steve
sphillips

This one happens to be painted white, which I dont see on the color list, unless that is the light ivory listed
Tom_T
QUOTE(sphillips @ Aug 9 2013, 11:33 AM) *

This one happens to be painted white, which I dont see on the color list, unless that is the light ivory listed

That's the white. When you go see it look at the Karmann plate on the front driver's door jamb which should have "L80E" in the bottom box for color code, which means it was originally L80E Light Ivory.

Any other paint code, look at the 914 info section on here for what it's original color was.

VIN on it should be: 47429xxxxx - with 47 for the 914's model #, 4 = 74 MY, 29 = Karmann plant where built, & x = digits or zero(s) only - no letters.

Car Fax also can't check the VIN for the same reason noted above, but at least the give you a better error message & instructions.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sphillips
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 9 2013, 10:45 AM) *

That's the white. When you go see it look at the Karmann plate on the front driver's door jamb which should have "L80E" in the bottom box for color code, which means it was originally L80E Light Ivory.

Any other paint code, look at the 914 info section on here for what it's original color was.

VIN on it should be: 47429xxxxx - with 47 for the 914's model #, 4 = 74 MY, 29 = Karmann plant where built, & x = digits or zero(s) only - no letters.

Car Fax also can't check the VIN for the same reason noted above, but at least the give you a better error message & instructions.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

VIN that he gave me is: 47429T6448. The "T" is probably a "7" or a "1".
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(sphillips @ Aug 9 2013, 01:21 PM) *

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Got to be a "1"
sphillips
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 9 2013, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(sphillips @ Aug 9 2013, 01:21 PM) *

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Got to be a "1"

Thanks Jonathon, you've been a big help,

Steve
JeffBowlsby
Uh oh...If it is a 1974 model, if the last 5 VIN are 16448, and it has L80E paint...does it have a 2.0L? How about some orange paint as trim on bumpers, wheels, lower valences...? If the orange is not obvious look carefully at rock chips and the metal edges/backsides. You could have found something awesome...so keep your poker face in check... wink.gif

creamsicle914.jpg
sphillips
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 9 2013, 09:13 PM) *

Uh oh...If it is a 1974 model, if the last 5 VIN are 16448, and it has L80E paint...does it have a 2.0L? How about some orange paint as trim on bumpers, wheels, lower valences...? If the orange is not obvious look carefully at rock chips and the metal edges/backsides. You could have found something awesome...so keep your poker face in check... wink.gif

creamsicle914.jpg

This seller bought it about 6yrs ago, with about 76,000 miles on the OD, which quit working shortly thereafter. He figures he put about 3000miles on it since then. The car had been in storage since 1986 until he purchased 6yrs ago. It is, according to the seller, a 2.0l.

Thanks Jeff
sphillips
Since there are no color accents, any other physical attributes that would verify it being an LE?
JeffBowlsby
Not all L80E cars in the LE VIN range are suthentic LE's, I have documented several that are not.

The surest way is to call PCNA at 1-800-Porsche, ext 5, and ask for them to verify if it is an LE on the phone...they have been doing that in the recent past, but that could change at any time as their personnel changes. Their COA will document its status if you choose to get the COA, which sould be done if its an LE or you just want to know its orginal equipment, color and engine code.

For the LE's the Targa bar originally had no vinyl or the lower horizontal bright trim piece on each side or holes for the same trim piece. If a PO added the trim/vinyl then it would be impossible to verify its original condition.

If it was an original LE and someone changed details they would have a lot to change or modifiy - bumpers, all 4 valences, all 5 wheels, the Targa bar vinyl/trim. The LE would also have F/R sway bars, always a 2.0L engine, a very rare front spoiler, vinyl side stripes in orange.

Its all changeable and many have, but an original LE is always an LE.
sphillips
I received pics of the data plates that confirms that the S/N is 16448. I'll call PCNA tomorrow to verify SN model. Here is a pic of the trunk area, basically looks like surface corrosion. The bracket for the trunk latch appears to have a crack on the left side, though it could very well be a crack in the paint.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
How about some of the overall car?
sphillips
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 11 2013, 01:01 PM) *

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
sphillips
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 11 2013, 01:01 PM) *

Let me try again:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Jonathan Livesay
I have a 74 L80E car with those exact wheels. They seem like nice wheels, lighter than Fuchs or Rivieras anyway. My SN is before the LE range at 12655, so I'm not in the running. dry.gif
sphillips
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 11 2013, 03:58 PM) *

I have a 74 L80E car with those exact wheels. They seem like nice wheels, lighter than Fuchs or Rivieras anyway. My SN is before the LE range at 12655, so I'm not in the running. dry.gif

What do you think about the rust in the pic, doesn't appear to be deep, but wont know until I go look.
JeffBowlsby
idea.gif Could be, lets see what PCNA says...
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(sphillips @ Aug 11 2013, 05:05 PM) *

What do you think about the rust in the pic, doesn't appear to be deep, but wont know until I go look.

Trunk looks pretty good, but that is not where you want to have a real good close look (if not poke with something sharp) for rust.
sphillips
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 13 2013, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(sphillips @ Aug 11 2013, 05:05 PM) *

Trunk looks pretty good, but that is not where you want to have a real good close look (if not poke with something sharp) for rust.

Still waiting on PCNA t respond to my request...
sphillips
Got a call from PCNA, the car is not an LE. Dang!
JeffBowlsby
Rats...so sorry. Proves that even some of the L80E cars within the VIN range are not LE cars. Still a nice 914 that someone will enjoy owning/driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.