Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the physical location of the horn relay 1973-SOLVED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
I think the PO removed it (certainly removed the horns and the horn buttons not connected to anything).
In order to pass inspection I have to wire in horns, but I want to identify/find the relay if it's still on the car. No idea where it's supposed to be located. Doesn't appear to be located on the back of the fuse panel (according to Haynes). Soooo, where izit, lol?
Thanks!
JeffBowlsby
Its mounted on the fusepanel on a 1973 car. Haynes shows the 1970-71 model which does not have a horn relay. Compare the horn relay wiring colors on the 73 schematic with the relay bases at the fuse panel and you can match them up.

No idea about the wiper switch and fuse 8 condition.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 9 2013, 10:38 PM) *

Its mounted on the fusepanel on a 1973 car. Haynes shows the 1970-71 model which does not have a horn relay. Compare the horn relay wiring colors on the 73 schematic with the relay bases at the fuse panel and you can match them up.

Thanks for that Jeff!
Interesting that the wiper and the horn relay sharer fuse position 8.
I wonder if either component being bad would prevent position 8 from being hot?
Certainly changing a relay out would be a softer easier check.
Thanks again for the location intel :-)
SLITS
From what I can see on a wiring diagram, Fuse 8 is hot from the ignition switch (switched power).
bulitt
David- you may want to get a 12v power supply and power each circuit individually. Then you will know if the circuit/wiring is working- wipers, horn etc. Pull all the fuses, attach the power to the wipers, horn individually. Then you maybe able to isolate the problem to switch, fuse panel, relay, wire, or component. You maybe doing all this work only to find the horn, wiper etc are defunct. I would think a low amp 12vdc transformer would work and if there is a short somewhere wouldn't cause major damage as using the 12volt battery could. I did this on all my components prior to re-installing. Nothing worse than installing that fresh air box/fan only to find it doesnt work. Touch the wires to the horn as example, it blows, move on back to the wiring at the fuse panel or relay, horn blows then put fuse in and check fuse, horn blows, then move to next...etc. Establish a logical pattern of checking stuff.
SLITS
Relay is one of the black round ones fitted to the fuse panel:

From Fuse #11 - solid red to terminal 30 on relay

From Fuse #8 - red with white trace to terminal 86 on relay

From relay - black with yellow trace from terminal 87 on relay to horn(s)

From ignition switch terminal 37 - brown with white trace to terminal 85 on relay.

Horn(s) are grounded to chassis at multi-ground 84? which I believe is under the headlight or 85 which is the chassis ground next to the fuse panel.

The brown wire in the steering column comes from the horn ring behind the combo switches thru the steering wheel and connects to the horn pad. It is a ground.

From a '73 wiring diagram ..............
HalfMoon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 10 2013, 12:31 PM) *

From ignition switch terminal 37 - brown with white trace to terminal 85 on relay.

Horn(s) are grounded to chassis at multi-ground 84? which I believe is under the headlight or 85 which is the chassis ground next to the fuse panel.

The brown wire in the steering column comes from the horn ring behind the combo switches thru the steering wheel and connects to the horn pad. It is a ground.

Hmm...I'll be out in the garage a lil later to change out this relay. I wonder if the horn relay being bad would cause the entire fuse block position #8 to be dead? Must look at the flow chart when I get a chance....
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 9 2013, 10:38 PM) *

Found it where you said. Fuse panel closet to the panel left
HalfMoon
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 10 2013, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 10 2013, 12:31 PM) *

Hmm...I'll be out in the garage a lil later to change out this relay. I wonder if the horn relay being bad would cause the entire fuse block position #8 to be dead? Must look at the flow chart when I get a chance....

Inddeed it does! The horn relay was bad. I put in a new one and BAM fuse block position #8 went hot when switched and now the horn wires are hot (horns were bad) and the WIPERS now work as well as they take power from position #8! WOOHOO!
neilbardsley
I'm trying to figure out why my horn isn't working.

The horn is good.

I found the relay. Connected 30 directly to 87 and the horn sounded. Then I tested the relay and it clicked. I swapped it with another relay and the horn still didn't work.

Then I tested the resistance from the horn pad brown wire to 85 and 86 but nothing?

I think that the brown wire from the horn pad connects to fuse 8 and then 86?

I need to check that next. However, I've no idea how to take the steering column apart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.