Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No headlights!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
73 2.0 pretty much stock, have the fuse box from Jwest which was installed 2 years ago, and the pertronix replaced the points around the same time, no other mods. Headlights pop up as per normal but no headlights. All positive comments appreciated!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SLITS
Bad headlight switch - try moving is slightly in or out to see if contact is made

or bad hi/lo lever switch

or bad relay(s)

Is is both hi/lo beams that won't come on or just hi or low?

Yellow wires from fuse 3 & 4 are lo beam ... Yellow wire from headlight switch terminal 56a feeds fuse 3 & 4

White wires from fuse 1 & 2 are hi beam
Ian Stott
No Hi or low

Ian
euro911
Are the fuses OK?
Ian Stott
OK, just came back in from the garage, I now have low beam and if I pull the lever and hold it I have hi beam and I suspect low beam as well. When I let the lever go then no lights, pull it again and I have low beam! Does that mean I need a new lever??
And yes all fuses OK, first thing I did was check them. I don't normally have my headlights on, I usually drive with just the fog/driving lights with the clearance lights on, decided to check them as my safety inspection is next week.

Ian
Mike Bellis
Check for power on the red wire of the hi/lo relay. This power comes from the ignition switch. If no power, no lights.

Power comes from this wire BEFORE it goes to the light fuses. This circuit is unfused back to the battery.

Flow Chart:
Battery, to ignition switch, to hi/lo relay, to light fuses, to lights.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Aug 10 2013, 09:45 AM) *

OK, just came back in from the garage, I now have low beam and if I pull the lever and hold it I have hi beam and I suspect low beam as well. When I let the lever go then no lights, pull it again and I have low beam! Does that mean I need a new lever??
And yes all fuses OK, first thing I did was check them. I don't normally have my headlights on, I usually drive with just the fog/driving lights with the clearance lights on, decided to check them as my safety inspection is next week.

Ian

This means you need a new hi/lo relay
SLITS
hi/lo relay

If relay is not clicking when you pull the lever ... it is probably defunct. As I remember is is the square aluminum one on the fuse panel.

Ian Stott
Thanks guys, hope I can get one locally. Seems like the replacement ones are not the same as the original, are they better? Will a VW one work?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
euro911
Well ... who made 914s? shades.gif
SLITS
From Pelican Parts ... looks like the replacement relay is made by EMPI ... Pelican Part number 111-941-583-M84 which probably means the part number is 111-941-583 or a VW Type 1 part number.

There is also a note on installation: By Bob's Project, submitted August 12, 2011
Comments: This part should come with instructions to connect the #30 tab and the #56 tab to work in replacement of the original relay. Somewhat confusing to install.

Good luck!
Ian Stott
Appreciate you chiming in, I am aware of the 914's history but do not have the same level of expertise as others here, especially when it comes to electrical. I have often heard "the VW part works" but I have also heard "yeah it works but it isn't the right part" that's why I posed the question here.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SLITS
Mark is having a Senior Moment!
Ian Stott
[quote name='SLITS' date='Aug 10 2013, 02:16 PM' post='1907171']
From Pelican Parts ... looks like the replacement relay is made by EMPI ... Pelican Part number 111-941-583-M84 which probably means the part number is 111-941-583 or a VW Type 1 part number.

There is also a note on installation: By Bob's Project, submitted August 12, 2011
Comments: This part should come with instructions to connect the #30 tab and the #56 tab to work in replacement of the original relay. Somewhat confusing to install.

Good luck!

Thank you Slits, that is the kinda info I was looking for.

Ian

euro911
If you can find an OEM 4-blade relay you're golden. After a little research, it appears that the new replacements have 5-blades, and need a small wiring modification like Ron mentioned.

Another option is to remove the cover on your original relay and look inside to see if the wiring and contacts are all in good condition ... could be a wire that came loose and just needs to be re-soldered.

Didn't mean to come off ... 'Krusty' laugh.gif
Drums66
.....How old is the car?(then do the drill!) happy11.gif
bye1.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 10 2013, 10:27 AM) *

Didn't mean to come off ... 'Krusty' laugh.gif

...Oh yeah!!.....clean up all Corrosian! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.