Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warning re David Lugo in NJ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tasfalen
Hi all,

Just a warning in this day of eBay and online purchases: I bought some 914 parts off of a David Lugo in Manahawkin, NJ last year and they still haven't arrived so I'm taking the only avenue left to me at this point. I apologize for this tale of woe but hopefully it'll save someone else some trouble.

Here's the story: I got back home (to Canada) after studying abroad last year and promptly purchased a 914 in Washington state. Always wanted one and this one was pretty good except for a badly damaged passenger rear-quarter.

I figured this was a perfect excuse to fit wide fenders and found a set on eBay offered by this David Lugo guy - passenger-side rear-quarter flares with matching rocker panels. They were glass but the price was right. I got them for $350 US and sent him a money order. This was last year when $350US was about $500 Canadian. A lot of money for a student but I figured it was worth it.

I was led along the path for quite awhile. He kept telling me they were getting returned to him and eventually I received the rockers but no fenders and here's the beaut-he marked the rockers with the value of the entire package, so I paid duty and taxes on 350 instead of the value of the rockers. Which, in addition, are useless without the fenders (they're flared).

Last contact with him was in May when he said he was resending the fenders. They still haven't arrived.

So, after a year, with repeated phone calls, letters and emails this issue is still not resolved. Please beware David Lugo in Manahawkin, NJ. His email address is: Prman602@aol.com.

I'm sorry to post this message because generally my dealings with other car people have been excellent. Some of the best have been online; through lists like this or eBay.

Best of the season to all,
Jason
in Victoria, BC
'72 914

PS: I ended up cutting a passenger-side rear-quarter from a car here in BC, Canada and its on the road. Had alot of fun driving it for most of this summer.
Dr Evil
Man that sucks. Do you still need flares? I have a full set for cheap if you still want to realize your dream. Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
Mike
SpecialK
There's always gotta be one guy that'll screw ya ar15.gif....., I guess I've just been lucky!
Kerrys914
What is his ebay name?
headbang.gif
Root_Werks
That does suck, sorry to hear it. But hey, you got to drive your 914 around. smilie_pokal.gif Good job on getting it on the road! driving.gif
tasfalen
Thanks for the words of support. smile.gif I have too many projects on the go right now and obviously balancing the money supply is a a big issue.

Just got my '73 TVR 2500M on the road and am looking forward to putting some more effort into the 914.

I was thinking about maybe doing a six conversion if I could get away with it pretty cheap (I can do good work and some fabrication, just need the guts) and I still like the flared look.

So yeah, if you had a set of flares I might be interested! Although I might try and physically pick them up depending on where you are. wink.gif Are they metal or glass?

Merry Christmas,
Jason

PS I don't think the guys on eBay anymore (this was last year) and I just noticed my latest email bounced. Well, I still have his phone number and home address if I ever get to NJ ar15.gif
morph
sold some stuff to him awhile ago, never bought anything from him.
Kerrys914
I am near philly and could pick them up for you if you like. Tell him you have some guys local that will pick the parts up.

Try to get ahold of him and ask if I can come and get them. If not maybe I can do some asking around and see what I find wink.gif Do you have an address

Cheers
Dr Evil
I would try Kerry's offer first. Man, I wish that I could send someone to the address of the guy who screwed me...what an oppertunity. Although, Kerry is not very intimidating looking. wink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 8 2004, 01:09 PM)
I would try Kerry's offer first. Man, I wish that I could send someone to the address of the guy who screwed me...what an oppertunity. Although, Kerry is not very intimidating looking. wink.gif

You know where I live Mike laugh.gif
Kerrys914
Hey pissoff.gif I resemble that remark biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I didn't plan on getting physical over the parts. I was hoping the guy was just lazy and didn't want to ship them. Maybe the fact there is someone local willing to step in would be enough. chair.gif

I do have some buds who live in south Philly and their friends are in the sanitation business wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif
Dr Evil
SLITS, huh? You wish that you screwed me. Freak. And you bag on Aaron. Sounds like jealosy to me rolleyes.gif
tasfalen
Hey all,

Thanks for the advice. I'll email you his address Kerry - if you can get him to send the fenders there's a bottle of Phillips Brewing Co. 'Amnesiac' in it for you. I'd just like some resolution. beer.gif

I notice his email address is now bouncing.

I think you're right, he's probably just lazy. But the fact he waffled so long without giving any good excuses is not cool. How am I to know he tried posting them three times if they never arrived and he never sent a tracking no.?

When he sent the rockers separately that just totally po'd me - since he marked the value as US$350 for the rockers alone I ended up paying something like CDN$100 extra in taxes and duties for a pair of useless (on their own) flared rockers.

I dunno about you (any Customs and Immigrations here? wink.gif ) but I like to do everything I can to save ppl customs and duty on used parts.
Kerrys914
I have the flares IPB Image IPB Image

It took a few weeks but I just picked up the flares during lunch.

Jason e-mail me IPB Image

Cheers
Dr Evil
Was there any drama? Details, give us details!
Allan
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jan 4 2005, 10:40 AM)
I have the flares IPB Image IPB Image

How did you do it? Was it an easy effort? Details!!!! IPB Image
seanery
great job kerry! IPB Image
MarkV
Did you have to take Moose & Rocco with you?
Howard
IPB Image Is this a great club or what?
Gint
Come on man. Give us the dish!
pete-stevers
sorry to hear about being ripped off...
I have some glas flares as well.. i was going to put the on but am now holding out for some steelies for the next project which my dear wife says "it wil have to wait" (add shrill voice)
best of luck IPB Image
just across the Strait from you
steve.
Kerrys914
It took about 3 tries to get them. IPB Image He seemed actually very nice and was glad to get rid of them. The worst part was that I had to meet him at his work (about a 35-40 drive) from Philly.

When I first called him I was kind of short with him and "just wanted the dam flares". When I got to his place of work things when fine and we talked a little about his 914. He is doing a conversion on and had a photo of his car.

I was expecting FG flares but it turns out these are FG fenders with flares. These things are HUGE IPB Image . He said UPS wants $150 to ship them from PA. The sale was for $50 in shipping so the difference killed the deal.

He didn't give a refund on the shipping and I figured I was luck to just get the flares.

I am glad I was able to help out a fellow member... IPB Image

Cheers IPB Image
Jenny
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jan 4 2005, 03:17 PM)
He said UPS wants $150 to ship them from PA. The sale was for $50 in shipping so the difference killed the deal.

what a IPB Image

If you miscalculate shipping, you eat the $. It's not fair that since the seller fucked up on shipping costs, the buyer never gets his items.

Shoulda brought Guido with you and fixed him good! IPB Image

Jen
Allan
Wow Jenny, if I ever sell you anything I will hand deliver it to avoid Guido. IPB Image
Jenny
IPB Image
Kerrys914
Jason....Please e-mail me

kerrys914@yahoo.com wink.gif
Bleyseng
Jason, you could have them shipped to me in Seattle then drive down to pick them up. Save on customs that way... damn, I was in Victoria just a little while ago. Love to shop there.

My GF just went to Holland with parts for Jeroen in her suitcase.

Geoff biggrin.gif
TC/914
Kerry!

You are a GOD! What a great ending to a potential disaster. And thanks again for all the help with the bits and pieces that you sent my way!

TC
Kerrys914
Thanks wink.gif

Someone has made an offer on the fenders but I can't get ahold of him to give me the okay? sad.gif
Cheers

chunger
Mabe we should do a club fender relay. . . and hand it from member to member until it reaches canada.

-'Chung Yack.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.