Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Porschef
Getting real close to getting her back on the road after hell hole repair, tranny rebuild, oil leak elimination (dang, almost got em all..) and now I'm thinking about the winter project being (or not) swapping to earlier bumpers.

I have a nice set in the garage, I just need lights and grilles.

Am I screwy.gif to do either? Of course there's other reasons why I qualify, but we'll stick with the bumpers fer now... wacko.gif

Thanks
JoeSharp
Try this. Take a hammer and hold it by the handel and swing it back and forth useing only your wrist. Now turn the hammer around and swing it by the head.
Your front and rear bumpers weigh more than 50 pounds each. The rear one weighs more than both the front and rear with valances and all related hardware and spoilers.
KELTY360
Think about this: lots of people get rid of their BUBS, but have you ever heard of someone 'updating' to those government imposed protuberances?
TheCabinetmaker
After my 2056 with raby cam, back dating
my bumpers is the best thing I ever did to my 75.
All that extra weight is at the worst possible place it could be.
The corners. Handling difference is night and day.
I have never regretted making this change.
76-914
I'll weigh in on this. I have both, a '73 and a '76. The '76 is a dream on the hi way. Is it the weight or aerodynamics? I don't know but there is a noticeable difference! Scientific results? Hardly. Just mine.
mepstein
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 11 2013, 07:59 AM) *

Try this. Take a hammer and hold it by the handel and swing it back and forth useing only your wrist. Now turn the hammer around and swing it by the head.
Your front and rear bumpers weigh more than 50 pounds each. The rear one weighs more than both the front and rear with valances and all related hardware and spoilers.

The front weighs 38lbs, the rear 42lbs. I'm pretty sure the early bumpers weigh ~12lbs each. I do like the look of early bumpers.
Cairo94507
For me, if I had a late model teener the BUBs would come off immediately and I would never look back.
eyesright
I swapped my '76 bumpers for early ones just for looks. I got some sorry early bumpers from a junk yard. I had one new front bumper top and one nasty rear one they gladly GAVE me while laughing, from the junk yard. It was a lot of work and the bumper repair and paint wasn't cheap (body shop) and a real chore to repair the rear topper (me).

I did a lot of sweating and cussing, but after it was all done....I like it. Come to thnk of it, I think I can recognise the difference in feel on the highway. Maybe the heavy ones did feel better at 75 mph, really. But I do like the looks now.

Maybe I'll put 50 lbs of tools in each trunk when I travel.

Anybody need a very good condition set of late bumpers, covers, and hardware? Free for PU.
Porschef
Hmmm, all good food for thought. That's not the first time I've read that the BUBs seem to improve the ride at highway speeds.

Not that highway speeds are common here on Long Island.... dry.gif
damesandhotrods
If you park in parallel parking spaces regularly, then keep the late bumpers might not be such a bad idea. It never ceases to amaze me how many people parallel park by brailleā€¦
speed metal army
The late ones are actual bumpers.. The earlies seem to be nice beauty covers.
I think about it too, but the slightest little tag and the early ones are boned. confused24.gif
Krieger
I like both. I have a 72 and 75. 50 lbs to each end is not the end of the world. Not even close. Joe's hammer analogy is great for understanding the concept, but quite extreme. How much weight is in the head vs the handle? That would be like adding at least 500# to the rear of a 911? When I autocross my 75 I make a lot of cars look really bad. If you have nice late bumpers and like the look use them. It will cost you a lot for nice chrome bumpers and there tops. The 75 -76 cars have tabs welded to the body to hold the sides of the rubber on bumpers. I don't know if people are grinding these off or leaving them.

Edit: oops saw w you already had a pair of chrome bumpers.
JoeSharp
Here is the scales with the bumpers on them. I did this to be sure of the actual weight going on to the race car. I was thinking about foot pounds and how far the bumpers were form the center of gravity.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=Bumpers

Apperently at one time I was into this stuff.
mepstein
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Aug 11 2013, 01:47 PM) *

Here is the scales with the bumpers on them. I did this to be sure of the actual weight going on to the race car. I was thinking about foot pounds and how far the bumpers were form the center of gravity.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=Bumpers

Apperently at one time I was into this stuff.

You are right. I forgot about the heavy bumper mounts
JoeSharp
It was not my intention to make anybody wrong. I just remembered weighing all the parts of the cars. I thought the rears were 56 pounds. In foot pounds thats about 300 foot pounds just for the rears on a race car.
r_towle
Get it on the road and drive it....finally.

Do the bumpers later, it will cause you to do paint work.

Rich
Dave_Darling
There are a number of people who like the way the late bumpers look. They do make for a slightly more "finished" look to me. But I know that they imply more weight at the ends of the car, and I think I like the look of the early bumpers because I "know" they're lighter.

I agree with Towelie. Drive it, worry about the bumpers later. You have to cut the lips off the car, which means some paint to protect the metal. Which can very easily lead to body work, fixing prior repairs, a complete repaint, disassembling the whole car to do it, and on and on and on... Just get it together and drive it!

--DD
Porschef
Either way, my plan is to get her back on the road this week.

I did mention that it was a winter project... rolleyes.gif

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I guess I got a little more thinkin to do beer3.gif
balljoint
Has anyone just gutted the late bumpers to lose the weight but retain the appearance?
green914
poke.gif Do It! If for no other reason shades.gif ... the chrome bumpers just look more cool. aktion035.gif shades.gif smoke.gif bye1.gif
jimkelly
agree.gif

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 11 2013, 01:53 PM) *

Get it on the road and drive it....finally.

Do the bumpers later, it will cause you to do paint work.

Rich

okieflyr
What is the long term plan for the car? Is it still all stock or past the point of return in terms of mods?
Like most I'm not a fan of the BUB's but I have seen some original cars that they did look good on and it may have been because of body color combo.
r_towle
QUOTE(balljoint @ Aug 12 2013, 02:57 PM) *

Has anyone just gutted the late bumpers to lose the weight but retain the appearance?

Yup, hole saw, jig saw,,,just enough left to hold the rubber in place.

Rich
Drums66
......I like them...do what you like! clap56.gif confused24.gif
On a street car, I can't see how it matters?
bye1.gif Peace yellowsleep[1].gif
Porschef
The long term plan is to keep/drive it till I'm in the box...this is a winter project. I'm contemplating and assembling bits necessary to swap, if I decide not to do it it'll make a complete package for someone who will.

The bumpers I have are painted black, not chromed. I'm keeping it a narrow body, relatively stock, tho I ain't no CW....

Looks like the only thing I'm missing is a pair of fog light grilles. Just missed some in the classifieds.. dry.gif

It's a 914.... what's not to like???
AZ914
I ditched mine and never looked back.

The only way I would keep the BUBs is if the car was a near perfect stock example.

For Fog light grills, they are out there, heck I have some spare blacks, just need to clean them up.
malcolm2
So what about the details of the switch? I have a 75 and have rounded up some early, painted (black) bumpers. I have the dog-bones so now I need to mount. Anyone have any pointers on how to line and level?

I have also noticed that on a early car inside the front fender there is an additional bracket welded to the front corner where the bolts attach the front bumper. I guess that adds a little strength. Is that a place to re-inforce for the back-date install?

Clark
ripper911
As more and more of the later cars have they're stock bumpers removed it will make those that still have them even more rare and valuable.
AZ914
Malcolm,
On the late cars, there is a lip across the front hood line, and lips on each of the front * rear fenders that hold the rubber on. These need to be removed. The spot welds on the side pieces can be drilled and the piece removed.. the front lip needs to be cut.

Do a search on 'backdated bumpers' or similar... there are some threads out there that show this process, as well as the measurements for the holes.
AZ914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 13 2013, 06:13 AM) *

As more and more of the later cars have they're stock bumpers removed it will make those that still have them even more rare and valuable.

That is a true statement, however I wonder how long it will take for the 'late' cars to gain in value with the crappy exhaust setup, etc
Krieger
No mater what you change on the car it will always be a 1975
KELTY360
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 13 2013, 06:13 AM) *

I think that only applies to correct and original cars. Rarity and value do not directly correlate. Rarity, desirability and value do correlate. Opinions and perspectives may change over time but the fact is that most buyers, and collectors, prefer the earlier bumpers.
rjames
I think the BBB look good on black cars only. I have an early set ready to go, but I haven't decided if I'm going to backdate mine or not. I was planning on doing it just for the weight savings, but this is the first time I've heard that the car feels different in a negative way at highway speeds with the earlier bumpers. idea.gif
Porschef
Hence my dilemma.. sad.gif many good points...

btw, its a 76..shades.gif

Another question: the tops have no puckering, but need to be brought up... is there a seriously good auto trim rejuvenation product out there that not only works but lasts more than 4 days?

Vaseline??? blink.gif
cliffordbf
Take them off and take them as far away as you can. Then get early bumpers and put them on! Loving my backdate...only the back is done so far.
Krieger
I use Vinylex Protectant for rubber, vinyl and plastic. I have been using it for 10 years on my bumpers, seals and dash. It has a UV screen in it. My car is not a daily driver and I park my car in the garage mostly, but seems to be doing its job for quite a while. It is not super shiny on the bumpers, but it does wake them up a little. I got it from Pep Boys.
bigkensteele
I will be backdating mine soon. My car is in very good condition and with a little work, could probably fair well in survivor class at a local show. However, it was born a '75 1.8, and thus will most likely never be more valuable to someone else than it is to me. I have already backdated the exhaust, and when I have the time and a little coin, I will be putting either a 2056 or a six in it. 5 lugs and Fuchs are coming too.

Bottom line, I am never going to sell it unless something devastating happens, so I may as well make it what I want, rather than what some folks think that it should remain. Besides, I can always put the BUBs back on if I want a change.
914werke
Heres and option smile.gif
Porschef
Wow, welded square stock...nice work! beerchug.gif

I haven't got those skills.
914werke
If some one is interested Im gonna let this one go!

I should weigh it idea.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 14 2013, 06:16 AM) *

Wow, welded square stock...nice work! beerchug.gif

I haven't got those skills.

You know how to use a hole saw?

Rich
Rand
Sigh. It's a personal thing. I like everyone else, think they suck. What do YOU think?

Rand
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 14 2013, 08:23 PM) *

Sigh. It's a personal thing. I like everyone else, think they suck. What do YOU think?

If you tried any kind of search at all, you would know how bad they suck.
But if you haven't been around or searched.... then let me just tell you straight up.

The BBB bumpers suck. Get rid of them and never look back.
914werke
slap.gif
I guess he asked for opinions biggrin.gif
Porschef
Yes, I asked for opinions. Like bodily orifices, we've all got em.bootyshake.gif

And its all good. beer.gif

Yes, Rich, I know how to use a hole saw. I'm a carpenter. slap.gif

Welding, not so much.
r_towle
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 15 2013, 11:18 AM) *

Yes, I asked for opinions. Like bodily orifices, we've all got em.bootyshake.gif

And its all good. beer.gif

Yes, Rich, I know how to use a hole saw. I'm a carpenter. slap.gif

Welding, not so much.

if its weight you are concerned about....remove the rubber, mount it in a vice and have at it...you will see just how much you can remove.
Beware...you are making them less safe.

If its looks, well that is totally an opinion...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I like them on certain cars...and I like chrome on the others.

Also a cost issue...just finding and chroming a decent set of bumpers will set you back quite a bit....
A hole saw is simple, you can loose a lot of weight on those bumpers really fast.

I think you want the safety but the look of the old style, so take the time to search and read some threads about how to do it.
There is more work involved than just bolting on the new ones...

There is a lip you need to remove, then some paintwork (could be simple, could suck)

Just plan it out, get the dog bones, make sure the bolt holes are clean and not rusted out where the new bumper bolts in place....

Rich
Rand
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 14 2013, 09:08 PM) *

slap.gif

Just doin my dooty.

And you know it smells right.
r_towle
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 15 2013, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 14 2013, 09:08 PM) *

slap.gif

Just doin my dooty.

And you know it smells right.

you mean your opinion?

I think you have cornered the market on used bumpers so you are trying to start a trend.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(balljoint @ Aug 12 2013, 01:57 PM) *

IPB Image
Ditched the hydrolids as well and made some simple channels to attach them to the car.
My BUBS weigh the same as regular early bumpers, and I like the way the look.

Zach
Krieger
Zach you have the total sleeper. Should have kept it secret. Now all these guys who thought they could take you in a corner with your BUBs, while your car is tipping over, will think twice...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.