Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attempt to start day 2 - vacuum lines setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
75 914/4 CA car 2.0 D-jet

The head holes for smog control were blocked, there is NO smog pump. I don't have a anti-flashback valve (whatever that is).

I've searched, read, and looked at all the diagrams of hose layouts - but I'm just not getting the whole picture. In my defense, this is my first FI car, so I'm still learning - albeit slow.

The problem I have with the drawings is they don't clearly show if the hose goes to the plenum or the air filter.

So I went and took some notes. There are 5 places that I can easily identify (plenum, dizzy vacuum, air filter box, and motor) that have hose connections and only few devices that they can plug into:

Devices:

1) Dizzy vacuum - has two hoses both go to the throttle body - DONE

2) MPS - has only ONE hose port - I assume goes to the plenum - would not make sense to go anywhere else. DONE

3) The De-accel thing has three ports (one small and two other medium sized), I don't know if one goes to the plenum and two to the air filter or the other way around. All I know it there is one smaller diam hose and two others the same size. NOT DONE.

4) AAR - one hose comes from the cold start valve, but where does the other hose go. My guess is to the air filter - since the one from the cold start is in the plenum. Maybe done?

5) That leaves the air filter - it has 5 hose ports (but one of them that is at the tip has some sort of T looking mounting bracket that is blocked off). Not done.

I would guess that NO hose goes from the plenum to the air filter box - makes no sense.

On the plenum there are five points where air can enter

1) the throttle body done!
2) the cold start valve - goes to the AAR - done!
3) the MPS
4) ??
5) ??

And finally there are 2 hose ports on the motor (that I can see), one on the right near the fan shroud and one in the engine tin on the left side. I'm guessing they run into the air filter box - as I don't see where else they can go. No pressure on those so I'm thinking it's just fumes and stuff.

Everyone that has chimed in has been very helpful and I really appreciate all your help. For all that have helped, I'm sorry this is dragging out and also for the redundancy of my questions.

Thanks,

Len

JStroud
Ok Len here we go, took a picture of my cars setup, and numbered the lines, hopefully it showes up well enough.

Line # - From - To

1. Air filter - Back of decel valve

2. Air filter - AAR

3. Air filter - Out fitting on charcoal cannister

4. Air filter - oil filler tower

5. top of intake plenum - MPS

6. Bottom of intake plenum - side of Decel. valve

7. Bottom of intake plenum - end of Decel. valve

8. Side of throttle body - advance port on distributer
(at butterfly plate)

9. Throttle body(below butterfly) - retard port of distributer

10. Side port of fan housing - In fitting on charcoal cannister

11. AAR - Cold start valve

Click to view attachment

Any other connections at the air filter,intake plenum should be plugged. Don't mix up the in and out on the charcoal cannister, heard it could cause it to explode, better to leave it unhooked unless you can verify the proper hook up.

Hope this help, good luck.

Jeff
lsintampa
QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 11 2013, 11:49 AM) *

Ok Len here we go, took a picture of my cars setup, and numbered the lines, hopefully it showes up well enough.

Line # - From - To

1. Air filter - Back of decel valve

2. Air filter - AAR

3. Air filter - Out fitting on charcoal cannister

4. Air filter - oil filler tower

5. top of intake plenum - MPS

6. Bottom of intake plenum - side of Decel. valve

7. Bottom of intake plenum - end of Decel. valve

8. Side of throttle body - advance port on distributer
(at butterfly plate)

9. Throttle body(below butterfly) - retard port of distributer

10. Side port of fan housing - In fitting on charcoal cannister

11. AAR - Cold start valve

Click to view attachment

Any other connections at the air filter,intake plenum should be plugged. Don't mix up the in and out on the charcoal cannister, heard it could cause it to explode, better to leave it unhooked unless you can verify the proper hook up.

Hope this help, good luck.

Jeff

This is going to be helpful for sure.

Sometimes I just need to get down to worm level to understand stuff!

If I can get injectors that work, maybe someday, just maybe the motor will show some signs of life.

Thanks!
JoeSharp
Not sure it will help but there are some pics in my blog.
r_towle
You need only one vacuum line to start the car, the MPS line.

If you suspect a leak, which would be a high idle condition, unplug everyone of the lnes at the plenum and air leaner and put closed rubber plugs over the inlets at the air cleaner and plenum.

Only one hose needs to be connected, just the mps.

Now, if your car is not starting' its not a vacuum issue.

Rich
lsintampa
OK guys, I think I understand the hose lines enough to limp to next steps.

NOW, my problem has shifted on to the injectors not firing. They are stuck solid.

I have them soaking - hoping they will free up. If they do not by tomorrow, I'm taking them to a shop locally for cleaning / testing.

Thanks for the photos and help on the hose lines!!!!

beerchug.gif
r_towle
What are you soaking them in?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.