Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time "Drive" with rebuilt motor and tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
For the first time yesterday i attempted to back my car out of the garage, very exciting! Bu i may have a big problem on my hands...

Before i put the car on the ground, when the engine would be running while in neutral, the wheels would just lightly spin, but now they wont (car jacked up of course). The rear wheels are completely locked! This may have been my fault, i did not have the pedal board in place and was pressing the clutch pedal all the way in when i put in reverse for the first time (car running), i may have heard a popping sound but im not quite sure, i have never driven a 914, so i dont know what it's supposed to sound like when shifting or even what its supposed to feel like. The clutch engagement was very far out so i loosened the cable at the tranny end. Then tried again to back the car out of the garage, i was able to get it to reverse a little on its on power, but right when i stepped the clutch in the car stalled. tried again backed out a little more and then tried to go forward in first gear, car moved a little but felt, and sounded like it didnt want to go anywhere, was revving at 3K and barely moving, felt like a lot of resistance in the tranny...

Had to jack up the rear end and push the car back in the rest of the way, cause even in neutral the rear wheels are completely locked. What can i do? Is my tranny stuck in two gears? and what should i look/test for?? Please help this newb (me)

Thanks!
JoeSharp
Hey David, I don't think you can get the tranny to shift into 2 gears at once. I think the only way to do that is to assemble the tranny in 2 gears at the some time. Major mistake and locks up the tranny completly. Check the adjustment on your clutch once more. Not sure but it sounds like clutch drag. Try to tighten up on the clutch cable.
dfelz
Thanks Joe. I adjusted the clutch engagement and believe it is set correctly now.

I have made an odd observation that i need opinions on though! So i dont think the tranny is locked, there is something odd going on with the rear brake/rotor assembly is what i think i have it narrowed down too. The venting clearances were set before the car went on the ground yesterday, with the rotors held on by the lug nuts. Now today i took the rear wheels off and when the rotor is not tightened to the hub they spin freely, but if i tighten a lug nut over the rotor it will spin and then gradually become more and more stiff, until it cant spin that direction anymore. I'm gonna play around with the venting clearances again and see if i can free this up. If any one has thoughts or suggestions for me to try i am all ears!

Thanks!
stugray
How did you torque the castellated wheel nuts?

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.