Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: New Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
Some friends of ours, Aaron & Donna, are moving away. Aaron got a better paying air traffic controller job at a large airport in Alabama ... he had been working ATC at our local Torrance Municipal for the past couple of years.

They were originally going to have their '67 bug ('Tomater') transported back there, but the cost was out of their budget, so Aaron recently decided to sell it. I helped him rebuild the engine last year, so he asked if I might be interested in it.

Click to view attachment

At first I said no, especially since I haven't been too active at the shop recently ... but my wife started thinking about it. We looked it over and started pricing what it would take to turn it into a nice DD for her (she says the Tundra is too big) dry.gif

Click to view attachment

It runs well - what it really needs a lot of cosmetic work. The RR fender and rear apron need work (replaced) as well as some additional [minor] bodywork

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

... and the interior needs some attention. Headliner, complete (full) carpet kit (we'll get Oatmeal) and a driver's seat re-upholstery kit for sure ... passenger seat and rear seat still look pretty good smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'll also be looking into upgrading the front brakes to discs (approx $400.)

Click to view attachment

With about $1k +/- in upgrades, some clean up, a cheep $500 Maaco paint job, and new rubber seals, it should look pretty good confused24.gif

If I feel like getting a little more industrious, I do have a couple 'spare' 95hp 912 engines handy happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
I put a 66 1.8L 912 motor in a 66 bug and man that thing was quick!! piratenanner.gif
bigkensteele
If you don't buy it you will kick yourself. If you do buy it and don't get into it, you can sell if for as much or more than you paid for it. They aren't making them anymore, and '67 is an interesting year. Half old, half new(ish).
billh1963
Very cool....love the '67's. my college roommate had a faded red '67 with the factory sunroof. He finally sold it when he was putting in more oil than gas!
steuspeed
"TOMATER"... I love it. You should get the plate.
FourBlades

Very nice...always wanted a bug.

Get it or regret it...

John
solex
67 is a good year, one year only model, collectible
zambezi
Those are the wrong disc brakes though. 67 was 4 lug. Much cheaper to convert to discs. Ghia rotors will bolt on I believe. Do you have the rear bumper? 67 was a one year only rear bumper also. Others will work, but to be correct the 67 is different. Good bones on the car though.
Elliot Cannon
My '67 was a five lug. As is this one.
euro911
It's the correct disc brake upgrade kit for this car. Late '66 and '67 came with shorter spindles so they came with the flatter hub caps (look like the 4-lug caps), but actually, the '67 was the last model year for 5x205 large bolt pattern wheels.

'67 was also the first year for dual-circuit brakes, 12 volt electrical system, sealed beam headlights and backup lights. I know the engine deck lid and lower apron were 1-year only, I don't know if the bumper is/was, or not? confused24.gif

I'll find out soon though ... I need to locate one popcorn[1].gif
Chris H.
Had a Java Green one (and 7 others but that's another story...) One of the best years, PERIOD. Old styling, 12v, low back seats. You STOLE that...(even though they set the price... biggrin.gif )

You might try buffing that paint Mark...might clean up nice. Well...not the passenger fender but that's PATINA baby!

FIRST DIBS if you ever sell it.
euro911
Revisiting this thread - after looking more into what it would take to make this a nice car, decided it would take too much time away from my other projects. I told Dianne that I'd keep my eye out for something nicer that wouldn't require so much work.

Due th the rear end collision, the PO had cut the rear engine shelf and apron out (was thinking of making it a Baja), it also had front end collision and I found a 1/2" of bondo on the left rear 1/4 panel.

I installed a better R/R fender and rear deck lid, fixed a leaking feed hose to the M/C, bled the brakes, painted the wheels, installed a new rear main seal and set end play, cleaned up, painted and installed all the missing engine tins, hoses, etc., readjusted the front bumper, installed a Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo/cassette unit, cleaned it up inside and out and installed new wipers.

Sold it for a $2k profit in June of 2014 smile.gif

The buyer didn't want the compete spare disassembled T-1 motor, a fairly new extractor exhaust system and some Baja parts, so I just listed on the Samba last week cool_shades.gif

We picked up a pretty nice '70 Karman Ghia this week end, and Dianne is looking through a few VW parts supplier catalogs, although it really doesn't need too much ... biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Love the Ghias - Good find.
euro911
smile.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.