Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get a trunk to open when you don't have a key?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I have never had keys to my trunk since I purchased my car. I only have the ignition keys. I have never really needed to lock my 914 so I never worried about it. The problem is that somehow my trunk ended up locking. How can I get it open? The trunk is empty so not a huge deal but I would like to get into it eventually.

I supposed that I could drill it out if I have to but...
mepstein
It's easy with a couple long socket extensions. Do a search. There's threads with pictures.
Black22
Have a locksmith come by that knows how to "impression" a key for it.
partwerks
I had the solenoid wire break, but at that point in time, my lid did not sit completely down, and so I had some wiggle room to use about a 5/16" rod, and go in at the rear passenger corner and push the plunger down to gain access, but if yours sits down nice and flat, it may not be all that favorable to do.
sean_v8_914
remove hinge screws thru eng comp
rhodyguy
don't understand why it would lock without turning the button. is there 0 resistance when you push it in or does it not push at all? have you tried lightly pushing down on the lid at the button location when trying to open?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2013, 07:29 PM) *
It's easy with a couple long socket extensions. Do a search. There's threads with pictures.

agree.gif
tornik550
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 12 2013, 01:19 PM) *

agree.gif

I tried searching for it however I couldn't find it.
tornik550

agree.gif

r_towle
many long extensions with a 10mm socket on the end.
The locking mechanism has two 10mm bolts, one on either side of the lock.
Remove them.

You access it via the cup that normally hold the roof latches....just push them into the trunk.

Socket goes in the drivers side, light source into the passenger side.
Lay on the trunk to see what you are doing.

rich
914werke
Thats the hard way. headbang.gif
Do a search on home made tools in that thread is pic of one I made specifically for his purpose.
r_towle
this
PanelBilly
Go to the locksmith's shop and save the cost of those trip
FourBlades
I found a long set of extensions too wobbly to remove the 10mm bolts holding the lock on.

Made a "tool" for removing them.

Steel tube with 10mm socket pounded onto one end and taped on for paranoia.

Grab with vice grips.

Click to view attachment

Remove hinge bolts (I have gas struts instead of the dreaded spring rods).

Lift up end of trunk lid and insert tool.

Click to view attachment

John

Drums66
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 12 2013, 10:42 AM) *

agree.gif

.....Everyone should make a *note* of this!(search thread out!!!)
shades.gif bye1.gif thumb3d.gif
rjames
As others have said, you don't have to remove any bolts. A coat hanger, hook on one end, and a friend with a flashlight is all you need.

Use the coathanger to pull back the latch. and have your helper pull up the hood once you get the hanger hooked to the latch.

Easy.
914werke
Rich, Yes
Robert, coat hanger may work but I found the wire gauge to thin so I made that one pictured out of some thicker gauge material I Picked up at the local home improvement place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.