Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Will this fit a 914-6 at the stock location?
SLITS
NO

ConeDodger
911 tank?
r_towle
yes 911 tank.

I wonder, would it fit on the other side?

rich
914itis
Yeah 911SC
brant
only in a 911
mepstein
Don't hack up the car. Do it with the right kind of tank
914itis
No, I will order one from them.
Thanks.
r_towle
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 12 2013, 02:56 PM) *

only in a 911

has anyone tried to make it fit on a 911?

I happen to have a tank....just curious if its way to much work to make it fit??

rich
914itis
I am not going to start until mid-winter anyway. By that time I will let you know on that offer. I still need to gather a few parts . Headers , mufflers, tin, motor mount and bell crank.
worn
QUOTE(914itis @ Aug 12 2013, 09:01 AM) *

Will this fit a 914-6 at the stock location?

I bought one too just to try. No, it won't fit, but it isn't a stupid idea because they have a lot of similarities.

I ended up instead cutting up my old 911 tank in two to see how they baffle it for when I weld up a new tank for the 914. I would be doing it too if it weren't for all the body work that came along with the recipient car that has got in the way. One thing that has long puzzled me was why Porsche felt compelled to run the pressure line through the tank walls to get to the oil filter. In at the fitting and then back to the console and then through the filter. I am thinking of skipping that with my design and buying a filter stand from JEGs for around $25-30.
SLITS
The only one I have seen with a 911 tank everybody called a "bastard". It was cut into the rear trunk floor. 1/2 hung below the floor and 1/2 above.

The engine doesn't give a crap where it is as long as the the oil in the tank is above the flooded suction pump.
shoguneagle
Slits has it right. I do have a 911 tank and it is placed in the rear trunk. It looks ok but it is not right for the "914 follower". My reasoning was to match the oil capacity of the engine requirements plus front oil cooler. I built to handle the "warm" Arizona summers and it has done the job very well. I built a18 quart capacity which gives me plently of cooling during the summers, winters do not drive since I live in the "high country" and it is cold out there.

I could have used the Peterson type located in the front but I believe the oil has to as close to the engine as possible and level with the engine inlet.

Sorry I did it? No! It satisfies my needs and does the job well. Not according well accepted and called a "bastard". I agree with this statement and would not do it on a normal 914. My car has been retrieved from the "junkyard" and I built it with available parts. I did have a sixes original oil tank but it just did not fit my needs.

Way back, there were a series of local articles on converting the 911 tank to the 914 location. I do not remember exactly but the bottom of the tank had to be narrowed and something had to be done to the internals of the tank.

Increased capacity in the original tank was also done by cutting the tank apart and putting a metal section; again, probably something had to be done to the internals of the tank.

In sum, find a solution to your needs and build; be happy and enjoy.

As an alternative for cleanliness, probably the Peterson tank is the best. Most people put it up front taking up valuable "real estate" in the front trunk. Food for thought.

Steve
pcar916
If I were to run a tank in the front the return line would be a -20AN rather than the existing -16AN. Not for anyone on a strict budget! Then again... neither is this mod. beerchug.gif

... and a properly engineered solution is the bomb regardless of the aesthetics, but execution is everything.

My only issue with the stock -6 tank in the stock location is that the factory could have built-in more cooling capacity into that side of the car with some fins and a vent/scoop. But then that's why the Porsche family always liked owner-builders making proper mods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.