Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mig help - quick release fitting size help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
I need to order a female quick release fitting from McMaster carr.

the tube is 6mm od - or - are these tubes based on ID, in which case it may be 4mm??

I need a fitting for the tank valve and the male threaded connector is 13mm OD and has a 9/16 nut on it.

I went to roberts oxygen for the argon tank but they did not have the fitting,. nor did my local fastenall, nor did ace, nor did tractor supply : (

which pn should I be ordering?

I think I need 1/4 ID for the tube quick release and 1/2 in npt female thread??
but it looks like 3/8 is a much for likely thread size?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-to-connect-t...ittings/=o19u3o

oh yeah - got a tank of 75/25 : )

for $50 I can get a brand new regulator and hose on ebay and since my regulator appears to have been dropped at on point, i am thinking this may be the way to go?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Argon-CO2-Flowmete...=item5659c7f5f3

I will hit harbor freight and see what they have first.

r_towle
Paint ball gun air hose
Mike Bellis
Your 13mm fitting looks like a 1/4" NPT fitting.

Your 6mm fitting is a 1/4" push lock fitting.

If it were my MIG, I would order a new gas kit from the factory or welding supply store. HF does have regulators but most likely the hose will not fit and will be metric.
r_towle
Remove the push fitting on the welder, then get a paint ball hose with two NPT adapters, it's all NPT.

Rich
jimkelly
thank you guys!

jim
jimkelly
like rich predicted - harbor freight was a bust for argon hose. they were also out of stock on mig carts till tomorrow.

I did get a few things and a 2nd helmut for $39

also sitting at my front door was a rear bumper for back dating my 1975, I got it for $150 shipped : )
jimkelly
I decided to buy this hose on ebay $20 shpd

i'm gonna be burning big holes thru some metal any day now : )

jimkelly
damn it.

got the hose but it has 3/8 fitting at both ends and 3/8 does not fit in my mig.

also, I need to come out of my machine with an elbow or my line and tank interfere.

so I just ordered this fitting, 6mm hose and 1.4 thread.

this should connect directly to my regulator.

it sucks here in southern delaware and there are no real suppliers of anything nearby.
r_towle
This is all standard hardware store NPT pipe fittings.

Just go to ace hardware or whatever the local place is for an adapter, male female that fits into the welder and matches the hose you bought.

The push in fitting will leak, btdt with robots.....those fittings suck and will waste your costly gas
jimkelly
rich

thank you again!!!

I was at ace today and the there came up with this gem.

I suppose I could use it.

but the damn argon connection on my mig is dead center on the back.

guess I should can look for an elbow at ace.
r_towle
Cut hose, buy barbed fitting that fits the mig, reassemble.

The mig can be moved forward....just make a stop for it so it wont ever touch the tank.

Stupid pale for the fitting port....
Mine is on the side of the back, but away from the tank.
jimkelly
my argon valve was bent up and leaked, so I ordered a new one. it had again, different sized threads, jeez.

so I went to ace and went with barbed fitting at both ends since the new argon valve came with a 1/4 barb already.

question - when you are done welding and want to purge the lines of argon, after shutting the valve on the tank, do you have to waste wire or is there a way to purge without wasting wire?

also, I expected the bead to stay at 15 psi when i turned the brass valve open, but it only rises to 15 psi or what ever I set it at, when I pull the red trigger on the mig - is this normal?

jim
Elliot Cannon
Instead of waiting for Shanghai Tool Supply (Harbor Freight) to supply a cart for my MIG welder, I made my own. Then I made one for the TIG welder. Then one for the steel saw, then the grinder, then the drill press, then a welding table and then a work table just for the hell of it. Did I say I really enjoy welding. welder.gif I'm just glad I don't have to do it for a living, 'cause I'd probably starve. lol-2.gif
aharder
Jim,

You have have a lot of mugs, do you use it once and throw it away? lol-2.gif
jimkelly
yeah - only about a Bazzillion - I need to purge them - I changed my url - but this one is linked to my new url.

QUOTE(aharder @ Aug 21 2013, 10:58 AM) *

Jim,

You have have a lot of mugs, do you use it once and throw it away? lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.