Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine/oil cooling for a six,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Need some ideas for a friend with a 2.4 liter 6 in his 914. He doesn't want to hack into the car and mount a cooler up front and run lines back and forth - wants to keep the body stock with no holes cut all over, wants to keep heat, and its a street driver for fun stuff with all interior in it, not any sort of track car or anything like that.

He's having all sorts of heating problems - oil getting way too hot...

What has anyone done to mount a cooler in the back that's worked? Where, how, and what cooler?

Thanks

JmuRiz
Rich Johnson has a contact that makes the one he uses on his hopped up 3.0 engine with carbs.
a914guy at aol(dot)com I think.

Also have him make sure there aren't leaves an crap under the fan shroud, it seems to happen to all 911 engines at some point.
chad newton
Tell the dude to get over it, it's just a 914. You never know, in 50 years it may actually be worth something.smile.gif
chad newton
I don't see why you couldn't fab up a mount and air scoop behind the trans there should be room unless running convensional exhaust.
chad newton
Also that one guy on either mine or your other thread had one mounted that was fan cooled too. That would work as long as he wasn't racing it.
Elliot Cannon
NACA scoop in the rocker panel ducted to a small seatrab cooler under the trunk.
McMark
For a street driver, I wouldn't expect a 2.4 to overheat, unless something is wrong. I know of a street driven 3.2 without additional cooling. I agree, check the engine and tuning first.
ChrisFoley
On a 3.6 we installed, we placed two of the Setrab dual fan pack coolers on either side of the trans, above the exhaust.
We also added heat shields mounted on top of the headers.
A thermostatic switch turns on the fans above 180F oil temp.
This has worked well in Boston area traffic.
naro914
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2013, 01:14 AM) *

For a street driver, I wouldn't expect a 2.4 to overheat, unless something is wrong. I know of a street driven 3.2 without additional cooling. I agree, check the engine and tuning first.

It just got a complete rebuild literally last week. It ran hot since the beginning when it was installed years ago from a different mechanic/builder. New build replaced a lot of things that the original guy did wrong, but still same issue. Saw temps of 230-240 driving it home from the install, and he does have a cooler on it mounted underneath (I don't have pics). Can't figure out what's going on...
JmuRiz
Does it have the under-body cooling flaps?

FYI, this is what Rich's cooler looks like:
jeff
The perfect solution..
tradisrad
Here is a topic I started several years ago: External oil coolers
pcar916
Here's a thread (Paddock) about a transaxle cooler system.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=161520

I would locate an extra engine cooler in the right wheel well in a second. In fact I've considered locating the rear engine cooler (sandwich adapter from the oil console located between the mufflers) into that space as well.

It would simply have to be ducted and fan-driven to share space effectively with the trans-cooler (in my case).
Elliot Cannon
I don't think it matters where the cooler is located. Most important is the volume of air flowing through the cooler and a route for the air to flow smoothly and swiftly out of the cooler after it passes through.
carr914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 13 2013, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 13 2013, 01:14 AM) *

It just got a complete rebuild literally last week. It ran hot since the beginning when it was installed years ago from a different mechanic/builder. New build replaced a lot of things that the original guy did wrong, but still same issue. Saw temps of 230-240 driving it home from the install, and he does have a cooler on it mounted underneath (I don't have pics). Can't figure out what's going on...

Need to address why it is getting so Hot before putting a Band-Aid on it
naro914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 14 2013, 05:53 AM) *

Need to address why it is getting so Hot before putting a Band-Aid on it

thoughts?
Stock (factory) 914/6 oil tank to engine. Everything in engine was checked and cleaned, new P&C's, heads rebuilt, new valve guides/valves. Engine oil cooler cleaned out. Not much else there to check.
jtf914
Are the temp gauge and sender correct?
shuie
I would expect anything more than a completely stock low compression 2.4T with all of the engine bay seals and everything else in place and in perfect working order to need an external cooler. Hotter plugs, missing seals, Summer, traffic, etc., can make even a stock T motor run up into the 250 range pretty quickly.
r_towle
I visited a hotrod shop and saw something like this cooler mounted on the frame.
Seems this would easily fit behind the rocker covers....even two of them could fit end to end.

Should be enough, with proper venting of the rocker, to provide plenty of cooling I would think.
The hot rod guys swear by them.

http://lowbugget.com/inlineoilcoolers.html

Rich
pcar916
My first six engine was a Bruce Anderson "E" spec 2.7L. It ran just fine without an external cooler for years, even after moving from San Francisco to Arkansas. But short of a bad thermostat, I'd run synthetic oil and check everything noted already above.

If all else fails, an auxiliary cooler in addition to the Behr behind #6 will likely help. It made all the difference with the 3.6. I had to run an external cooler in the front for that engine anyway (no internal cooler) and it was about 25,000 BTU's short of the cooling capacity I needed in really hot weather sitting at traffic lights, and on the track.

The additional cooler solved the problem and it's in the back of the car. Like I said above, I'd put it in the right wheel well away from any heat this time.

Good luck!
chad newton
Ring gap??? I'm no engine builder but I know that it is critical with every ever engine.
jeff
If it his engine has been running hot from the start it could be too lean... Without airflow cooling will be tough, increasing oil capacity is about the only thing you can due .. On the Subaru STI they have a water misting setup that sprays the intercooler,when he is sitting in traffic maybe that would help?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.