Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Long Beach, CA shop/mechanic recomendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
My son lives in Long Beach (10 yrs now) and daughter just moved down there. Son has no car, so I have not had this need before. Daughter has my 1996 Audi A6 quattro (w/260k miles) and I would like to find a place to send her if the need arises.
She can check the fluids her self, has AAA card and I can talk her thru simple visual checks but that won't be enough at some point.

Thanks
Jim
ConeDodger
Jim, Santa Maria is not that far North so the Cap'n is an option but I'd bet you can find someone closer. Otto's? Still open though John has passed...
ConeDodger
So, with the kids out of the house, I guess we have to have a 914 rustoration day for your cars down at the OC??? biggrin.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 13 2013, 07:56 AM) *

So, with the kids out of the house, I guess we have to have a 914 rustoration day for your cars down at the OC??? biggrin.gif

I keep thinking that and then something comes out of left field that cost money & time.

50 plus year old underground galvanized water pipe burst in my back yard Saturday, flooding all the way to my sheds. sad.gif
I got it capped off (temporarily) and now I figure the main line from my meter to the house is the same age and condition.
I should probably get it replaced but have not had the guts to call a plumber for an estimate.

Jim

Oh and my daughter is down there to finish here degree and has yet to find a job, so $$

wink.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 13 2013, 07:55 AM) *

Jim, Santa Maria is not that far North so the Cap'n is an option but I'd bet you can find someone closer. Otto's? Still open though John has passed...

I thought the Cap'n retired, maybe just in one of my many day dreams about retiring myself. He is probably to smart to know anything about Audi's.

Who sends their daughter to someone called "Cap'n Krusty" anyway? smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions.
Jim
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 13 2013, 07:55 AM) *

I'm pretty much out of the game since closing my shop. The guy who bought my inventory, customer list, and new parts isn't worth driving 3 hours to see. Not that he's not good, just too far away for what you get. I suggest looking into some of the Audi interest groups and ask around. Audi World, Audi Fans, probably others, and Audi Club USA.

The Cap'n
Tom_T
Sent you a PM for Hans Imports in Huntington Beach down the road from LB.
mike914duck
PCH Garage in Sunset Bch right on pch a few miles from Long beach,CA Hector is good with all imports as well as (914's)
jim_hoyland
agree.gif PCH Garage in Sunset Beach is very good. I've used them for 25+ years, owner takes pride in his work, won't BS you, and moves quickly when your car is there.
Andyrew
www.Audizine.com has a very big community.

There are also LOTS of interest groups on facebook with hundreds of active members. I own a A6 allroad and the "Audi C5 Group" on facebook has about 350 members, Keep in mind most of these guys are on like Audizine, or VW vortex.

What engine does it have? The 2.8? (If so good choice for reliability)

jcd914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 18 2013, 09:51 AM) *

www.Audizine.com has a very big community.

There are also LOTS of interest groups on facebook with hundreds of active members. I own a A6 allroad and the "Audi C5 Group" on facebook has about 350 members, Keep in mind most of these guys are on like Audizine, or VW vortex.

What engine does it have? The 2.8? (If so good choice for reliability)

Yes it is the old reliable 2.8L 12v engine (AFC I think)
It has bee a good car for us but I have had to fix a few thinks over the years.
Now that she has it in Long Beach simple repairs are more complicated for me.
After almost 20 years as a Porsche/Audi tech and almost 20 years in the Automotive field since then I have always had access to wholesale parts, shop & lift if needed plus all my personal tools. I have a very hard time paying someone else to fix one of my cars since I probably know more that the guy I'm paying.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.