Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taillights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
green914
WTF.gif Wow! The insides of the taillight assembly are covered with a fine dust that needs more than just compressed air to clean it away. I'm thinking of soap and water, but do not want to cause any damage. What's a batter way to do the job?
bulitt
Think I read where someone had good results in the dishwasher, removed prior to dry cycle. ?
Harpo
popcorn[1].gif very good question
green914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 13 2013, 08:47 AM) *

Think I read where someone had good results in the dishwasher, removed prior to dry cycle. ?

Has anyone out there tried the dishwasher, and had good results? huh.gif
bulitt
I think it was Saigon71 but cant find the pic in his thread
green914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 13 2013, 02:12 PM) *

I think it was Saigon71 but cant find the pic in his thread

I think running them through the dishwasher should clean them up good without causing any harm to them as long as I take them out before the heat cycle. I will let you know how they come out. bye1.gif
saigon71
Dishwasher works well!

I ran mine through on the top shelf, using Cascade extra action. I let them go through the heat cycle too, only because I forgot about them:

Click to view attachment
bulitt
Your car looks great Bob! You are almost there!
green914
Wow! those do look great smilie_pokal.gif Thanks for the feedback. smile.gif bye1.gif
Chris Pincetich
Any scrubbing and that reflective paint is in trouble. On mine the paint was already coming off in some spots, I cleaned w a sponge, and more came off. The plastic was red underneath the paint.

I ended up using rattle-can "chrome" paint to restore them. Be sure to remember not to paint inside the holes for the lights, it ruins the electrical connection (but easy to undo w a dremel and wire brush).

I cleaned the lenses w warm soapy water, installed all new bulbs, and it's a lot brighter beerchug.gif
7TPorsh
So do I understand this correctly? You put the housings and lenses in?

This should work for the front? too...
Drums66
....Yeah,as long as no tumbling is involved? should work great! idea.gif
bye1.gif (proceed with care!)
bulitt
During my searches I read where you should not put the fog lights or headlights in. Something about the silver being ruined. Not sure the diff between front and back. Probably fronts need a highly reflective surface.
Drums66
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 14 2013, 02:25 PM) *

During my searches I read where you should not put the fog lights or headlights in. Something about the silver being ruined. Not sure the diff between front and back. Probably fronts need a highly reflective surface.

......May have to do with metal contac's & filament ruination? idea.gif
bye1.gif(not good!)carry on folk's
green914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 14 2013, 12:57 PM) *

Any scrubbing and that reflective paint is in trouble. On mine the paint was already coming off in some spots, I cleaned w a sponge, and more came off. The plastic was red underneath the paint.

I ended up using rattle-can "chrome" paint to restore them. Be sure to remember not to paint inside the holes for the lights, it ruins the electrical connection (but easy to undo w a dremel and wire brush).

I cleaned the lenses w warm soapy water, installed all new bulbs, and it's a lot brighter beerchug.gif

I just took them out of the dishwasher - they are clean, but the reflective paint took a pounding. I'll be looking for some chrome paint too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.