Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New hybrid exhaust is awsome!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
moggy
So... my misuse of a 914 (Google - rallying) has resulted in the back box of the European Racing Exhaust sounding like I was storing the tools in it. It was obvious to me that the baffle had essentially come loose or had broken up and was rattling around inside the back box. So, long story short, I couldn't find a direct replacement anywhere and knowing that that silencer isn't exactly a performance product!! I was on the lookout for a simpler, lighter, performance alternative.

But first, let's solve the mystery of the rattle shall we piratenanner.gif

We start with the offending article:

IPB Image

attack with the grinder reveals the cause of the rattle. As I expected, the baffle had come apart and was loose inside the box

IPB Image

for those interested this is what it looks like inside there

IPB Image

IPB Image

So after a little digging around I discovered (thanks to the ever friendly and helpful Chris Foley of Tangerine Racing) that the Phase1 muffler is a slip-on solution. All I had to do was cut off a few inches off the old muffler at the 4into1 flange end. The Stage1 muffler then slipped over that bit. A very simple bracket later and voila!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

It doesn't protrude from the back any further than the bumper

IPB Image

and finally... here's the before/after make-over shots

BEFORE

IPB Image

AFTER

IPB Image

Noise level is 102 dB at 4000rpm measured directly 50cm away from the tip of the exhaust (as per my regulations).

Looks, sounds and performs absolutely superbly. So if anyone else out there is in the same predicament and needs to upgrade or replace that silencer for that type of system then look no further than Chris at Tangerine Racing.

Lovin' it driving.gif

beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
smilie_pokal.gif

(Stage I, not to be confused with Phase 9)
ChrisFoley
Seems like a strange way of measuring exhaust loudness.
Who's gonna have their head less than 2 feet away from the muffler while laying on the ground? laugh.gif
moggy
Hi Chris. I corrected it to Stage 1 now. Cheers. Moggy
1stworks
Looks cool!!!
Lets hear it.
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 13 2013, 05:02 PM) *

Seems like a strange way of measuring exhaust loudness.
Who's gonna have their head less than 2 feet away from the muffler while laying on the ground? laugh.gif

What?
Randal
Chris Foley mufflers, actually total exhaust is the best. And it proved so on the dyno if anyone is interested.

Click to view attachment

moggy
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 13 2013, 07:31 PM) *

Chris Foley mufflers, actually total exhaust is the best. And it proved so on the dyno if anyone is interested.

No arguments there. But there was a good few years left in my present 4-1 header, it was just that the back box had fallen to bits. This 1/2 way house solution also now means that when that 4-1 header finally gives up the ghost then I will replace with the CFR header and simply slip the Stage 1 onto it.
Randal
QUOTE(moggy @ Aug 14 2013, 04:32 AM) *

No arguments there. But there was a good few years left in my present 4-1 header, it was just that the back box had fallen to bits. This 1/2 way house solution also now means that when that 4-1 header finally gives up the ghost then I will replace with the CFR header and simply slip the Stage 1 onto it.

I forgot, is that SC motor in your 914 or another car?
moggy
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 14 2013, 05:56 AM) *

It was in my bug. It's now powering a barn door split biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(moggy @ Aug 14 2013, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 14 2013, 05:56 AM) *

It was in my bug. It's now powering a barn door split biggrin.gif

Barn door split? biggrin.gif
Randal
OK, a bus...I get it.

So how does that puppy run with the SC motor?
moggy
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 25 2013, 07:49 AM) *

OK, a bus...I get it.

So how does that puppy run with the SC motor?

Don't know yet. Bus isn't built yet. I can be sure of one thing, it's gonna be scary biggrin.gif
surpee
Could you get a vid of how it sounds?
car service
Borderline
Have you done any dyno testing with the European exhaust system? I've been using mine on two different engines and feel it really drops power at anything over 4.5K rpm. Just want to see if anyone else has had that experience? headbang.gif
moggy
QUOTE(Borderline @ Oct 3 2013, 07:09 AM) *

Have you done any dyno testing with the European exhaust system? I've been using mine on two different engines and feel it really drops power at anything over 4.5K rpm. Just want to see if anyone else has had that experience? headbang.gif

I must admit I've only had the car on the chassis dyno with the new back box on and can honestly say we saw nothing to suggest that the exhaust was negatively effecting the perfromance from 4500 upwards. Even with the original back box on it used to pull well all the way to 6.5k. I'd look for another cause than the exhaust. Unless you're running something over a 2.3litre engine, in which case I'd probably go up a size in bore compared to the European system.

How do you know it was the exhaust? were you comparing to another exhaust system on the same day?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.