Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What will work 82 sc 911 to 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chad newton
I just got ahold of an 82 sc 911. I already have a 911 front from a 71 but thinking of switching all to the newer front end and installing rearend parts as well. Will the rear end parts bolt on? The front looked good, but I'm concerned about if the rear parts will work.
okieflyr
If your talking about the rear suspension, none of it will fit. The front end can work if desired.
scotty b
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 13 2013, 04:33 PM) *

If your talking about the rear suspension, none of it will fit. The front end can work if desired.

agree.gif Rear suspension is completely different. If you bought a whole car, you'd be a lot smarter to sell it or fix it rather than scrap it out, unless it is really bad off.
Jeffs9146
Motor, Trans, All of the Front Suspension & Lambada with the Wires!

The Motor will need the FI modified if you don't want to move the engine lid latch!

Here is what I did!

Go For It!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
914Sixer
I beg to differ about the rear suspension. Only the banana arms are not useable. Hubs, rotors, stub axles , CV's will transfer. Rear calipers, backing plate and parking brake assembly can be modified to fit.
scotty b
Yes, but none of that is a straight swap. I mean no disrespect to the O.P., but if he doesn't know the two rear suspensions are different, he is probably looking for parts that are are direct swap and upgrade. All of the 911 brake parts will require mods to work
chad newton
Sorry guys, what would be needed to switch the 82 rear brakes? Are the bearings and stub axles different between the pre 74 911 stuff?
scotty b
QUOTE(chad newton @ Aug 13 2013, 05:26 PM) *

Sorry guys, what would be needed to switch the 82 rear brakes? Are the bearings and stub axles different between the pre 74 911 stuff?

Yes it is all different between a 914 and a 911. There is a thread about swapping out the hubs and brakes somewhere around here. It has been done, but by using the 911 rear brakes you lose the handbrake. The 2 cars have completely different handbrake setups. That is when you get into some farily serious modifying to get a handbrake back.

A properly working ( rebuilt ) set of 914 brakes with good pads will be more than sufficient for any 914 engine and most 911 swaps, including that 3.0
chad newton
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 13 2013, 05:40 PM) *

agree.gif Rear suspension is completely different. If you bought a whole car, you'd be a lot smarter to sell it or fix it rather than scrap it out, unless it is really bad off.

I didn't buy anything I can take what I need off of it. But, I can also go with the earlier brakes if its easier. Between both of my buddies I can finagle pretty much anything I want. I already have the early 71 sc whole front suspension mounted. I don't even think the newer front is any better. If I wanted the aluminum crossmember on mine I could have mounted it. I have an extra one of those too.
scotty b
QUOTE(chad newton @ Aug 13 2013, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 13 2013, 05:40 PM) *

I didn't buy anything I can take what I need off of it. But, I can also go with the earlier brakes if its easier. Between both of my buddies I can finagle pretty much anything I want. I already have the early 71 sc whole front suspension mounted. I don't even think the newer front is any better. If I wanted the aluminum crossmember on mine I could have mounted it. I have an extra one of those too.

I have seen some claims of the aluminum cross member cracking under heavy use/abuse. The 82 brakes are better than the 72's, but again, if the 72's are in good shape, you don't really NEED to upgrade unless you are going for a major h.p. increase. And by major, we're talking 200 + To swap to the later brakes I think you will need to change the struts as well. IIRC by 82 they were the later 3.5" bolt spacing as opposed to the 3.0" on the 72's. A arms between the 2 are the same so no need to worry about them. The through body sway bar on the early 911's and 914's are prefered over the underbody that the 82 has, if you want maximum adjustment
scotty b
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

this goes over most of the suspension questions. there is another thread somewhere detailing the 911 rear brake swap including the handbrake conversion.
okieflyr
Chris at Tangerine Racing sells adapter cables to aid in the fabrication of a parking brake when switching to non-stock rear calipers.
You stated that you currently have a "71 sc" front end. Could this actually be an "S" front end with possibly aluminum calipers?
It would be very desirable if so.
chad newton
I'm going back by tonight to take pictures and see what all I can use and posibly sell to another guy. I will let you guys know what I come up with.
chad newton
Alright, I went and looked and the sway bar is on the bottom of the car and brakes are 3.5" bolt spacing. I may just go with what I already have because my setup has the inside mounted swaybar and its already bolted in. But rear parts are good, I will take all of those. It's also a 78, not 82. Tell me if I'm right inmy thinking.
chad newton
Should I also take the rear swaybar since I don't have one yet?
okieflyr
QUOTE(chad newton @ Aug 14 2013, 08:52 PM) *

Should I also take the rear swaybar since I don't have one yet?

914sixer is correct above with a list of potentially usable parts. Use that as your guide.
If you can aquire the SC front end it may have some trade value down the road.
I'm 99.9% sure that the rear bar is not going to work the way the factory did it, plus the torsional spring rate may be way to high since it is coming off a car with a completely different design being rear engined and all, and will screw with the handling.
chad newton
Cool thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.