Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blue eye shadow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914socal
So I had purchased my car last december and the previous owner gave my car blue eyelashes. I decided to change it this weekend. I used black matte vinyl wrap by Hexis on this.
I would like to know some opinions if i should do rear trunk now????? As you can see in the photo's the vinyl wrap is a cheap solution to so many problems. I also did my gauge plate in stainless steel on my other post. Check out the samples, so many colors and textures.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
r3dplanet
Blue eye shadow makes her look cheap.
oldschool
:Qarl:LooKs...good do the back...jack laugh.gif Let me know when you're bringing your car to work...
oldschool
QUOTE(oldschool @ Aug 13 2013, 08:48 PM) *

idea.gif LooKs...good do the back...jack laugh.gif Let me know when you're bringing your car to work...
sorry for the 2post...
914socal

:Qarl:LooKs...good do the back...jack laugh.gif Let me know when you're bringing your car to work...

Next week sometime! I give you a ring.
bulitt
That looks so much better! Do you just buy it by the sheet? Cost? Does it have an adhesive backing or just surface cling? easier than doing window tinting?

Maybe try this one-

IPB Image
Mark Henry
I've been wondering if you could wrap a whole car.
It would save doing a whole paint job and it should last OK on a car that's garaged most of the time.

This just peels off if you don't like it anymore, right?

I wonder how much the material would cost?
flipb
Is that L13M (Saturn/Chrome)?

I vote Yes for vinyl on the trunk too. Like the Strenger car.

I'm pleasantly surprised how good the stripes look on the light Yellow. Perhaps it needs a twin car on the east coast... idea.gif
Cupomeat
Now, given that the headlight eyebrows were in primer, I would assume you'd want to paint them with actual paint before putting the wrap on to help keep the edges from rusting, etc.

Thoughts?

Otherwise, I think the black stripes look great.
76-914
Hey do they make that stuff in chrome. I might use some to refinish a tail light. I doubt I would have the cojones to put plastic wrap on an exposed surface. I think I'll take a "wait & see" approach. Not to play the Devil's advocate but I've never had good long term results with bumper stickers or truck lettering. It looks good now but report back in 4 years with how well it holds up. Are there ratings for UV exposure, temp limitations? How do you care for it? Does it get waxed and buffed along with the painted surfaces? Will the edges roll up with time? Fading issues? idea.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 14 2013, 08:38 AM) *

It would save doing a whole paint job and it should last OK on a car that's garaged most of the time.

Yes, you can wrap an entire car. They make different grades for say short term advertising wraps or wraps lasting up to ten years. Bunch of colors, CF, Alligator, Brushed. You can buy the stuff off EBAY. Looks like comes in 6 foot wide x unlimited length. Goes over painted or non porous surfaces. Peel the adhesive then put it on convex, concave, flat, etc. You can re-position it until you activate it with a heat gun. Saw some 8 foot by 5 foot for @120$ (thinking bumpers). They just cut what you desire.

Yes they make chrome.

Depends on the product if the adhesive is temporary or permanent.

The website is a little tough to use and they direct you to a ditributor to purchase.

Hexis
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bulitt @ Aug 14 2013, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 14 2013, 08:38 AM) *

Yes, you can wrap an entire car. They make different grades for say short term advertising wraps or wraps lasting up to ten years. Bunch of colors, CF, Alligator, Brushed. You can buy the stuff off EBAY. Looks like comes in 6 foot wide x unlimited length. Goes over painted or non porous surfaces. Peel the adhesive then put it on convex, concave, flat, etc. You can re-position it until you activate it with a heat gun. Saw some 8 foot by 5 foot for @120$ (thinking bumpers). They just cut what you desire.

Yes they make chrome.

Depends on the product if the adhesive is temporary or permanent.

The website is a little tough to use and they direct you to a ditributor to purchase.

Hexis

My paint is old, chipped and kind of crappy looking, typical 80's paint job, but over all it doesn't really "need" paint, their is no rust or major issues (maybe the odd touch up), it only needs paint for cosmetic reasons.
I've thought about this before idea.gif
914socal

Yes, it's L13m. It turned out better then expected. You can always peel off!

QUOTE(flipb @ Aug 14 2013, 05:44 AM) *

Is that L13M (Saturn/Chrome)?

I vote Yes for vinyl on the trunk too. Like the Strenger car.

I'm pleasantly surprised how good the stripes look on the light Yellow. Perhaps it needs a twin car on the east coast... idea.gif

914socal

Yes preferred to be sealed but I'm told that water can't enter through unless a tear in vinyl. Also, you can do a quick sand and hit it with a semi gloss before the wrap. Just don't krypton with a flat.

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 14 2013, 07:06 AM) *

Now, given that the headlight eyebrows were in primer, I would assume you'd want to paint them with actual paint before putting the wrap on to help keep the edges from rusting, etc.

Thoughts?

Otherwise, I think the black stripes look great.

914socal

Yes they have a "chrome" but was not impressed with it. It should last up to seven to ten years. However I expect 5 out of it. Same as paint in a way. Should hold up in any sun to temp. However darks will fade,metallics are worse and light colors last longer. If you have a weak clear coat it will peel off with wrap. If you buff with matte colors you will it polish out and get s semi gloss and potential swirls. Cheap vinyl, bad prep and bad install (over stretching) can create edges going bad and rolling on you.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 14 2013, 07:24 AM) *

Hey do they make that stuff in chrome. I might use some to refinish a tail light. I doubt I would have the cojones to put plastic wrap on an exposed surface. I think I'll take a "wait & see" approach. Not to play the Devil's advocate but I've never had good long term results with bumper stickers or truck lettering. It looks good now but report back in 4 years with how well it holds up. Are there ratings for UV exposure, temp limitations? How do you care for it? Does it get waxed and buffed along with the painted surfaces? Will the edges roll up with time? Fading issues? idea.gif

Millerwelds
Not to hijack but since the question was asked... I did my entire car in white wrap. There is a company out of Oregon I found online that sells partial rolls (I'd have to dig for receipts to find the company and the exact product used). I did the whole car for about $300. I did the entire thing in my garage one panel at a time. From 10 feet you can not tell. Up close you can see the seams around the front turn signals and the windshield frame. Overall I am very pleased with it. I wash it with soap and water and I have run it through the car wash a handful of times. It is rated for ten years and I keep the car garaged. I do use it as my daily driver so it sits in the sun all day everyday. I had never worked with the material before and just decided to go for it. I did a panel or two each weekend so it took me a like two months to get it done. So far it is holding up well. Some tips:

Use adhesive in recessed areas like the door handle pockets and around the fender lips. This will help it stick and keep it from lifting. I have a few areas lifting and most people would think it was rust bubbles under the paint.

Prep the car as if you were doing a paint job. Any paint dings, deep scratches, etc will be visible through the vinyl. I used denatured alcohol to clean each panel before install.

I used a heat gun but a torch can work as well. It is interesting to work with as when you mess up you can pull it back up, heat it with the gun and it will morph back to a clean sheet.

The hardest area for me was the rear 1/4 panels with multi directional shapes. I screwed up one twice and had to toss the material. Because of that I had to buy more. If I did not have to do that I think I could have done it for under $200. The rear decklid actually has enough of a compound curve that it is a little difficult as well.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube that give good guidance. Pro shops would wrap the car in one whole sheet in one sitting so not all videos apply.

Started with this:

Click to view attachment

Half way through:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Complete:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
aharder
I found it at Metrorestyling.com. I ordered samples of some 3M 1080 Series product.
Thanks to Eric, he gave me the Hexis and I found Metro biggrin.gif
jimkelly
looks real good - the simple white black color combo is excellent

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...89488_thumb.jpg

jim
jimkelly
looks real good - the simple white black color combo is excellent

IPB Image

jim
oldschool
QUOTE(914socal @ Aug 13 2013, 08:53 PM) *

Next week sometime! I give you a ring.

Sure thing...
oldschool
That does look good, I have a vinyl cutter In my new shop I may play with a cool color scheme ..kind of like Magnus Walker..last time I spoke to him I told him I was doing it lol-2.gif Click to view attachment I Did a bad sample of what it my look like some time ago...
7TPorsh
unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.