Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: green vs yellow fog light switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Does the green foglight switch supposed to illuminate light the yellow one does?

Will a yellow shaft/knob work in a green base?

I'm finding that a replacement yellow switch is hard to come by...

-Steve

mepstein
The green one on my '71 lights up.
Chris H.
Can you just exchange the green and yellow bezels? I think you can.
rick 918-S
Ya, I think you can just pry the plastic button out of the rubber. I think I remember there is just a lip holding the button in the rubber.
ripper911
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 14 2013, 09:24 AM) *

Ya, I think you can just pry the plastic button out of the rubber. I think I remember there is just a lip holding the button in the rubber.

agree.gif It comes right out.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 14 2013, 06:14 AM) *

Can you just exchange the green and yellow bezels? I think you can.

Just for grins, the thing you call a "bezel" is actually called a "lens" or an "insert". You could call the rubber surrounding the insert a "bezel" and you'd be closer to the meaning of the word.

The Cap'n
siverson
Ah thanks. The green one on my 71 never did light up - another thing to fix!

Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 13 2013, 11:53 PM) *

Does the green foglight switch supposed to illuminate light the yellow one does?

Will a yellow shaft/knob work in a green base?

I'm finding that a replacement yellow switch is hard to come by...

-Steve

If you have a switch that isn't lighting you probably just need a new bulb, it presses into the knob right behind the insert (not bezel).
914werke
So are new "inserts" available?
Green or Yellow
What about the detail on the little bulb?
sbsix
First try Bruce Stone or Craig at Camp914 on this forum. I don't think you'll find any new green inserts, but you never know.

If Bruce or Craig don't have any try John and Jim at EASY in Emoryville, CA.

If all else fails you can start a thread and ask Mark at 914 Rubber to consider reproducing them.
914Sixer
Bruce Stone told me he talked to the owner of Airhead parts about manufacturing both the yellow and green ones. Do not know what the status is.
rgalla9146

Fog lights or driving lights are indicated by the color and the diagram on the button.
The lights behind our bumpers could be either type, based on the lens.
914Sixer
70,71,72 Green
73,74,75,76 Yellow
Per 914 Restoration Guide by Dr Johnson
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 28 2016, 07:19 PM) *

70,71,72 Green
73,74,75,76 Yellow
Per 914 Restoration Guide by Dr Johnson

Doooh !
So Mark I'm not even a little right ?
That old book is so full of mistakes. Just sayin'
Or..... I meant to put a ? after my statement ?
The lamps were available with different lenses.
pete000
I replaced my bulb and it is now super bright !

My 70 has green and my 74 has yellow
914Sixer
Rory,
Just a poke.gif. I was trying to be funny! biggrin.gif
Garland
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 28 2016, 07:43 PM) *

I replaced my bulb and it is now super bright !

My 70 has green and my 74 has yellow

Mine has always worked. Maybe because I thought it was always to "bright" that's why I know it's 3 1/2 twists of my thumb and finger to have the pull still, stay attached, and the light off!
Cairo94507
Don't laugh, but I am pretty sure VW bugs in 70-71 or so had the exact same switch inserts. Might be worth a look.
914Sixer
Yes the part numbers for these are VW Bug.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 28 2016, 11:24 PM) *

Don't laugh, but I am pretty sure VW bugs in 70-71 or so had the exact same switch inserts. Might be worth a look.

The switch itself is a common VW switch used mostly for the rear defrost switch, but also as the emergency hazard light switch in some models. The 914 rear defrost switch and fog light is the same switch.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1888902
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1385039

This is out of a VW bay window bus, they use to be common but are now sought after. The switch is the exact same as the 914 fog light and defrost switch.
The black knob can be slightly different though the years, but it does screw off to swap it out if needed.

IPB Image
bdstone914
The VW switches are not the same as 914 fog and defroster switches. They function fine but the shaft is a different diameter, the knob is a different shape and the lens is glued in. I have a bunch of them from buses if anyone wants one to use as a fog or defroster switch.
rhodyguy
Post #6 is a gem. A 'gentle' correction.
Chris H.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 29 2016, 08:56 AM) *

smile.gif And he was right as always!

I miss that guy.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 30 2016, 11:12 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 29 2016, 08:56 AM) *

smile.gif And he was right as always!

I miss that guy.

Yeah, miss the Krusted One's responses. Always a little smile when one of these older posts gets uplifted and you read through it and see those correct and not-so-subtle responses of his. sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.