Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trcarrera
I have a 914-4 that will soon be a 914-6. Im going to be puting a 3.6 L in. My question is what Transmission do people think I should use and how should I put it in.

Any tips would be great,
Theron
scotty914
stock tranny that was rebuilt or at least checked, or 915 tranny but that will cost from what i have heard 3 to 5 k, and you should get a wevo shifter. if you rebuild the tranny you will want higher gears installed to lower the rpms. the 915 will have better rpms but is a 4 speed but you wont want to use 1st on the stock tranny anyway

rebuilt tranny 1500 to 2500 $ best smartest way to go IMHO
915 tranny 3 to 5 k $ maybe more depending if tranny is in ok shapeand you plan on abusing it
trcarrera
a 915 Transmission is what was in a 911 sc and that is a 5 speed. Or are you talking about a 930 Transmission thats 4 speed.

Thanks
scotty914
possible i am wrong, i dont, wont, will never, refuse to, and own a tail dragger. i went from memory on that so i could be wrong, heck probably am

all of the above will be null and void if some one ever gives me a tail dragger
East coaster
I bounced back and forth between a beefed 901 trans and a 915 trans for my 3.6 conversion. What finally settled my mind was the thought of all the work to build an awesome 3.6 car and then having to baby it to preserve the tranny. I finally decided to go with a 915 with wevo goodies. It's a considerable expense, but hopefully worth it in the long run.

My 901 mind was thinking....hey they're cheap and plentiful enough to have a spare sitting on the shelf waiting for when I spit the gears all over the road.

My 915 mind cringed at the thought of some ape hooking a chain to my carerra a-arms to drag my locked up 901 trannied car up the back of a flatbed truck, whilst ripping off my air dam and maybe a bumper.

You need to decide before buying a flywheel and clutch goodies cause once you commit to these parts you can't change your mind without flushing these parts.

There should be some pics posted shortly outlining a 915 being prepped for use behind a 3.6 (mine happy11.gif ).

Good luck with your project!
John
My 901 mind was thinking....hey they're cheap and plentiful enough to have a spare sitting on the shelf waiting for when I spit the gears all over the road.

That's sorta the route we chose with our 3.2 track car for a while. We ran with a 901 until a couple years ago when we started breaking teeth off of 4th gearsets. After rebuilding 4 901 boxes, we decided to go 915 with a velios tail kit (no WEVO).

We haven't had any troubles with it at all. Since the trans is an 86 and the engine is an 87, there is no reason to baby even 1st.

In other words, I would recommend using a 5-speed 915 gearbox (911's used them from 1973 to 1987), or if you really want to pump up the power I would choose a 4-speed unit from a 930.
trcarrera
If I go with the 930 Transmission how much is that going to run $$$ and
were can I find one. The Transmission can be in need of a rebuild. How easy will it be to get the 930 Transmission in to the 914.

Thanks,
Theron
jim912928
Just noticed this used sale ad for a 915 tranny...shifts perfect..for $975, it's on the pelican board want ads:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=195920
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(trcarrera @ Dec 9 2004, 09:05 AM)
If I go with the 930 Transmission how much is that going to run $$$ and
were can I find one. The Transmission can be in need of a rebuild. How easy will it be to get the 930 Transmission in to the 914.

I wouldn't bother with the 930 box. It's got very very tall gearing (60 MPH in 1st gear!) and is only a four-speed. Plus you either have to machine the diff housing to flip the R&P over, or you run the whole transmission upside down. (You have to do a little machining there, plus cut out your rear trunk.) Not worth it IMHO.

Everyone I've known so far with 901s behind a 3.6 motor has blown up several gearboxes. Even "built" ones.

Flipping the R&P in a 915 box is relatively straightforward. Get the WEVO pieces to hang the thing and to deal with the linkage. Fake up a clutch linkage yourself. And go.

--DD
propricer
Must agree with DD ... we run a flipped 930 behind a crate 3.6 ... a 5-speed would be much better for that particular engine.
Good luck ...
trcarrera
How many people have put a G-50 Transmission in a car that started out as an originaly 914-4. I would like to use a G-50 but I think it would be very difficult to install. If any one can find documentation on the installation that would be great. This is what Im going to be running for brakes What do you all think http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/BigRed_...911_Upgrade.htm

Thanks,
Theron
pete-greggers
Any coments on a 901 behind a 3.0??
or am i going to be in trouble in the long run?
If not, who can i get in the pacific northwest to build the 901 up to standards?
Dave_Darling
MikeZ managed to kill an original 1970 tail-shifter when he put it behind his 3.0 liter.... After quite a few years of smokey burnouts. The second transmission lasted a few more years before he sold the car, and was not exactly treated real gently either.

If you avoid really abusing first gear (e.g., sidestepping the clutch in 1st at redline) the 901 box should hold up to a stock 3.0 pretty well.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.