Full Version: what would be your choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
I've (3) different horn buttons, all completely restored, all period correct

1. the standard 914-6 horn button - everyone knows

Click to view attachment

2. the 914-6 GT horn button - a must have for every wide body 914 biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

3. the early 911 & 912 butterfly horn button - the underdog, at least at the 914

Click to view attachment

this poll is about the fitting on my car:

Click to view attachment

what would you do idea.gif

let me know your thoughts shades.gif

beerchug.gif Gustl
JmuRiz
Love the hockey puck and the butterfly.
Those are worth some $$, where did you get them?
mepstein
I only have love for the hockey puck. The others always seem to get in my way when I'm driving. You just need to straighten out the porsche crest to be perfect.
Gustl
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 15 2013, 02:43 PM) *

Love the hockey puck and the butterfly.
Those are worth some $$, where did you get them?

I bought them a couple of years ago on eBay - in not so good condition
disassembled them in all parts, replaced the standard hardware and got the other metal parts media blastet, new anodized and the ring rechromed

the butterfly button needed a new padding and leather pad too

took me quite a long time to get them so nice, but it was worth IMHO smile.gif

Gustl
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2013, 03:13 PM) *

You just need to straighten out the porsche crest to be perfect.

I just didn't snap it on completely, because the hockey puck gets off really hard (the spring mech is really strong) biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
all 914s NEED to be quick on that horn. original butterfly honks quick, no aim required . ..and it matched geometry of the wheel spokes
gms
I like the look of the hockey puck but...
the stock wheel is just too large I prefer a smaller MOMO prototypo
Tom_T
Gustl,

Your 6 is such a perfect original survivor - plus you waited so long to get it over to you - I'd really encourage you to keep it as a totally original with the original horn butterfly & everything else!

There are plenty enough modified 6's out there, that the really nice true original narrow bodies like yours are just plain scarce! I'd think it might decline it's value too over time, to take away from original (of course a horn button is reversible, so long as you save it).

Of course, that's JMHO - but it looks like the polling agrees with MHO! biggrin.gif

first.gif
IPB Image

Best! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Eric_Shea
Stock = Stock
GTish = GT
I have no idea what would make the butterfly look right... huh.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 15 2013, 09:07 AM) *

Stock = Stock
GTish = GT
I have no idea what would make the butterfly look right... huh.gif

Maybe putting it in my brother's '72 non-sunroof 911 biggrin.gif

Another thing to add...your base wheel looks great, is it original or did you recover it.
Makes me want to look for a stock wheel and get it leather wrapped to replace my old Dino wheel.
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 15 2013, 05:26 PM) *

I'd think it might decline it's value too over time, to take away from original (of course a horn button is reversible, so long as you save it).

Tom,

whatever I do - I always keep the original stuff
I even kept the original USA lights, when I had to change to Euro lights by law
... and the change of the horn button would be possible without tool in 5 sec biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 15 2013, 06:08 PM) *

Another thing to add...your base wheel looks great, is it original or did you recover it.

I took "the" original wheel out and put it in storage
bought another original one, got it recovered and applied a 30mm higher hub (gives me more space between the wheel and the shiftstick - I'm 6ft4)
green914
The stock 914-6 looks the best, and it is easy to find when needed. smile.gif
KELTY360
I like being able to use the horn with my hands on the wheel. I also prefer the look of the original. But I'm old and set in my ways.... yellowsleep[1].gif
pilothyer
Had to go with #1..........I guess because that's what has been starring me in the face for so many years and I like it the best biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
With your car, I'd go with OEM. As previously stated, completely stock 914s of any factory configuration are becoming rarer and rarer.

BTW, your car looks fabulous. thumb3d.gif
r_towle
Butterfly, chromed like a 356.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 15 2013, 12:26 PM) *

Gustl,

Your 6 is such a perfect original survivor - plus you waited so long to get it over to you - I'd really encourage you to keep it as a totally original with the original horn butterfly & everything else!

There are plenty enough modified 6's out there, that the really nice true original narrow bodies like yours are just plain scarce! I'd think it might decline it's value too over time, to take away from original (of course a horn button is reversible, so long as you save it).

Of course, that's JMHO - but it looks like the polling agrees with MHO! biggrin.gif

first.gif

Best! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

"I'd think it might decline it's value too over time, to take away from original" huh.gif

Tom - You you do realize he was talking about a steering wheel horn button - not cosmetic surgery on his belly button.
bigkensteele
I voted 911 butterfly, just because it is different. We are all pretty familiar with the stock look. The GT hub is not all that attractive to me unless I was sitting in a real GT, but the third picture just kinda looked cool to me.

Not sure I would worry about it too much if I owned all three options, and they could be changed out in 2 minutes.

Always love your stuff, Wolfgang!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 15 2013, 04:31 PM) *

Butterfly, chromed like a 356.

Only deluxe 356 horn wheel I know of looks like this:
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.