Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift knob removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NFBrown
I just got a dandy new stock shift knob but I can't get the beat-up leather covered one off. Of couse I don't know how it's attached (just bought the car) but assuming it used a stock crush washer should it just pull off? I probably should get a new crush washer before I cut the knob off dry.gif

Always wanted a 914, finally got one. Please help the newbe.

Nick
76-914
My guess is that it was glued on because the PO didn't know about the crush washer.
stugray
To start with, I would put a crescent or open end under the knob & "tap" it with a hammer.

Dont go too gorilla on it or you might damage the shifter bushings down in the shifter mechanism.

Stu
Eric_Shea
My guess is that it was glued on because the PO didn't know about the crush washer.

agree.gif

You would have to heat the shaft to 500 degrees with a torch and then use a proper open end wrench (16mm) and tap it up and off.
Rob-O
Post a pic of the leather covered one. Many had set screws that helped hold them on. It's a long shot, because I figure if you posted here then you've already looked it over pretty good and would've seen the set screw. Also because the set screw usually doesn't hold them on very well (you can still pull them off by hand), hence a lot of guys using the glue!
luskesq
Before you go hammering on stuff, make sure there isn't a small set screw at the base of the knob (it may not be in plain sight). I have a leather one without crush ring but a set screw.

Keith
rick 918-S
I have one that has a threaded collar at the base that hides allen set screws. Post a photo before you wreck something.
VaccaRabite
Agree with everyone else.

Check for the set screw! That is a really common way to attach aftermarket knobs.
r_towle
just use a sawzall and shorten the shaft...its too long anyways smile.gif
NFBrown
It "was" glued on. It's in pieces now. The new knob is installed with some tape to build up the shaft until I can get a crush washer. The car needs so many little things that at some point I'll just have to stop and order.

Thanks for the ideas ( except maybe the Sawzall ).

Nick

VaccaRabite
You can use paper or felt (better) instead of a crush ring. Don't use tape. It gets gummy in very short time.

Cut 2 pieces of felt about the width of the diameter of the shift rod and 2 inches long. Lay them over the top of the rod so they form and "X". But the knob down over the top. It will be tight, its supposed to be. You can't see the felt, but it will hold the knob securely for years.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.