Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Oil Galleys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Today started out to be a really bad day,

Drilled and tapped the oil galleys the other day and I was brushing them out with the gun brush when the brush BROKE OFF in rear bearing feed, I guess its #4. It bottoms out in the oil galley and is not drilled through

I thought I am really SCREWED, couldn’t pull it out, tried picks, bent coat hangers, running a screw down beside it, even thought about trying to tap it and put a little bolt in to pull it out. But all seemed hopeless. And I was almost resigned to finding another case set.

When I decided to try one more thing… nothing to lose…

So I pushed it all the way down until it bottomed in the oil galley, set up the drill press with a 7/16 brad point drill bit that has cutting edges sort of in a crown shape, instead of the normal tapered point, it’s really a wood bit. Set the drill on 300 and slowly made a cut from the flywheel end of the oil galley. IT WORKED !! drilled the piece of brush right off….. cleaned the hole out, pushed the gun brush down to the bottom of the oil galley again and set it up to drill another time. It took 4-5 times of this, just cutting the brush down 7/16ths at a time until I had it all out.

Whew!!

I was so pissed the last thing I was going to do was take pictures of this abortion or post a question about it, but now that its fixed I did a little Tebow and I am a happy boy again…
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Aug 15 2013, 08:57 PM) *

Today started out to be a really bad day,

Drilled and tapped the oil galleys the other day and I was brushing them out with the gun brush when the brush BROKE OFF in rear bearing feed, I guess its #4. It bottoms out in the oil galley and is not drilled through

I thought I am really SCREWED, couldn’t pull it out, tried picks, bent coat hangers, running a screw down beside it, even thought about trying to tap it and put a little bolt in to pull it out. But all seemed hopeless. And I was almost resigned to finding another case set.

When I decided to try one more thing… nothing to lose…

So I pushed it all the way down until it bottomed in the oil galley, set up the drill press with a 7/16 brad point drill bit that has cutting edges sort of in a crown shape, instead of the normal tapered point, it’s really a wood bit. Set the drill on 300 and slowly made a cut from the flywheel end of the oil galley. IT WORKED !! drilled the piece of brush right off….. cleaned the hole out, pushed the gun brush down to the bottom of the oil galley again and set it up to drill another time. It took 4-5 times of this, just cutting the brush down 7/16ths at a time until I had it all out.

Whew!!

I was so pissed the last thing I was going to do was take pictures of this abortion or post a question about it, but now that its fixed I did a little Tebow and I am a happy boy again…

I have had days like that. You feel stupid and genius at the same time LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.