Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Always Looking
Hi all,

I've been working (off and on) on a 72 914 since i bought it last year - $1k. I don't think it's quite ready for the run to Ruby's yet, but maybe in January. The last time this car was registered was 1982 (no back taxes, it was off the DMV computer).

Anyway, the newest problem is the po's fuel pump "relocation." He hose clamped it to some steering components beneath the car. I don't want to drive too far on this set up. I think that if i bracket it to the front trunk under the tank, that should work. Does anyone have a resource for a suitable bracket? Also, if someone would be so kind as to let me know what size FI hose(s) i'll need, i'd appreciate it. I figure ten feet of to line and ten feet of return line should do it.

Thanks for any info.
aveale
ah fuel pump fun........

i pers. feel that you can put the pump anywhere where it is protected from heat and gunk.

i can't see why the steering arrangement would not work. as long as it is not getting mangled in there.

fuel hose sizes are funny. i believe it is a 7 mm hose to the injectors and a 9mm hose from the tank to the pump. so you may have to use a 1/4 inch ID and 3/8 inch ID hose and some inventive connectors to get things to attach accordingly.

have fun.

T
lapuwali
Mouting the fuel pump near the rack is commonly done. As long as it's not in danger of being hit by a tie rod, there shouldn't be any problem. You should also have the undertray in place, which should provide plenty of protection for the pump (as well as the steering, which is why it's there). If you're concerned about the hose clamps, then by all means, make a bracket. All you need is some sheet steel, some tin snips, and a bench vice. Any small bracket like that can be fabricated pretty easily.
JoeSharpOld
Al: Welcome to the Garage. smile.gif agree.gif What they said. I'v got a couple of porject cars going on here. If there is something you need to look at, or just come by and talk teeners, I'm in the emer. contacts. biggrin.gif
Joe
Always Looking
Alright, Thanks for the info. I may take you up on the project inspection after the holidays.
Aaron Cox
I have a very bitchin fule pump install...i have yet to take pics of it to show people wacko.gif DUH!

im not too far from you....
if you come to ruby's (in anything that has 4 wheels) you can take a look for yourself.
hope to see you there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.